United Express Facepalm

No, you're doing exactly what should be done. The needs of the patient, be them known or unknown at the time, are what is important. Not what people think will make them seem "learned" by pontificating about status.

Heh. Somehow I think that was partially aimed at me, but I actually agree. When I'm at work, I file lifeguard when I'm expected to file lifeguard, for all the reasons you and others have mentioned. This does not prevent me from observing that as a systemic question it seems like maybe the callsign is a bit overused. Apples and Oranges, etc etc.

Heh. Somehow I think that was partially aimed at me, but I actually agree. When I'm at work, I file lifeguard when I'm expected to file lifeguard, for all the reasons you and others have mentioned. This does not prevent me from observing that as a systemic question it seems like maybe the callsign is a bit overused. Apples and Oranges, etc etc.

If it was a swipe at anyone o would say it. It's a swipe at the attitude that people get. That attitude being they are smarter than the system, and only they are, so they will do things their own way. Hell, go read the SEEEEYAAAA thread. People can't even follow the AIM for radio phraseology.

If it was a swipe at anyone o would say it. It's a swipe at the attitude that people get. That attitude being they are smarter than the system, and only they are, so they will do things their own way. Hell, go read the SEEEEYAAAA thread. People can't even follow the AIM for radio phraseology.

Well, we're on the same page there. It's one thing to have suspicions about how the system might be inefficient, it's another thing entirely to do things "your own way" because of those suspicions.

And I think "Seeyyyaaaaaa" is lame as hell. The fact that it's ALSO obviously incorrect phraseology is just the icing. ;)

The ambulance driver analogy doesn't work if ambulance drivers only rush 10% of the time. That's all I was pontificating about.

Given Boris's perceived systemic problem, perhaps another code word would help when dealing with ATC to give them a better idea of what's going on up there. I thought Murphfly's "critical lifeguard" idea was a good one.

I don't understand how you guys took that to mean you shouldn't file lifeguard if your dispatch or SOPs tell you to. That's nuts...

I am not smarter than the system. I think it is interesting to compare and contrast the two industries (Air EMS vs. Ground). Even if the two could learn anything from each other, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing any major changes. You know what they say: FAA regs are written in blood.

And for the record I don't say "SEEYA" or "Any traffic please advise." :)

I'd like to hear a doctor's input on that, because I don't think that's true.

I've had more than a few transports that those few minutes were critical. The majority were patients that came from home and were coming for an appointment. One I had last week was "as soon as the door opened all hell broke loose".

Only 1 correction to MikeD HEMS does a lot of interfacility, it is the money maker in the industry, not sure the exact figures but I believe across AM it is something like 70%

Depends where you are. Helos for interfacility are a needless waste of an asset, unless there's a surplus of them waiting around, regardless of money made, as well as costs involved.

I can see your point - but as you know many patients who were comfortably in the ICU play games when moved. So you could argue a 1 hour flight to Boston, is safer than a 3 hour bus ride.

Don't worry, folks. As of 15 NOV 12, "LIFEGUARD" goes away.

Lifeguard on patient flights. That will get priority handling. Advising no-delay while lifeguard will part the Red Sea. Only have had to do that few times, but that will get a landing on opposite direction and direct to the numbers.

What will set me off is having an unstablie patient in the back and have ATC turn me awway from the airport for another aircraft under its control. I call BS -- turn the other. So, it's not just the DX or pilots getting immune to it. Once filed L, we shouldn't have to clarify we need priority. It reminds me of Demi Moore (Navy uniform ;) ) "objecting" then "strenuously objecting" in A Few Good Men. It should only take one.

We get it...medevac guys are badasses...

Yes.

...apparently with small dongers.

No. :)

Back