Uniforms

My pilot brain thinks “no custom-molded earpieces for those Telex 5x5’s?”

My regular person brain thinks “Egads, short sleeves with a tie is basically an office-friendly version of a mullet haircut!”
Clothes are basically a prison, so if I can get away with wearing less....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ha! My very existence is punk rock enough already.

"I can't believe you're still wearing your blazer!"

"Well, it's 38F, I'm cold and do you really think I give a sh— about fitting in after 40-plus years of NEVER fitting in… you know what I'm getting at"

*An actual conversation I had with some rando pilot in line at Starbucks earlier this year a week after mandatory wear was over.

Often the amount of effort required to stick it to the man outweighs the reward. We do some short legs occasionally where it’s not worth changing into cruise attire. Yet some people will still get up so they can get an hours worth of flying in a polo.

That or “I can’t believe you’re still wearing your tie.” I wear a traditional tie for the very reason that I can loosen it and literally not even notice that it’s on.

Problem is most think they look like this:
9FB18EA0-2F14-4BF3-8F34-A41E22396B81.jpeg

When in reality this is what they look like:
5CE45720-27CA-4096-BA21-24335D45D0D8.jpeg

With those particular shirts you look at them and wonder which way your beautiful torso goes, because it can fit through either of the three openings. Then you put it on, lower your arms - but the sleeves stay up, as they are ginormous. Eventually you figure a way to not look ridiculous from any angle but the back, because the back is where the folded wings sleeves rest.
And the longsleeve shirt has the Michelin man arms. Yet the blazer sleeves are short and narrow. Go figure. I abandoned all hope to make a sense of any of this. Fully expecting the mainline and WO to look like it's an every man for himself uniform situation.

Absolutely 100% true. I wore my company issue M&H shirt on exactly one trip before switching to A Cut Above.

They look absurd. Oh yeah, and somehow they also managed to chafe my neck horribly.

I actually like the M&H pants, though.

-Fox

I had two litmus tests for new FO's to determine how much we had in common; their understanding of Top Gun quotes, and where they were on September 11th.

I started hearing answers like first grade to the second question, and accepted the only thing I'd say that they understand was, "Hold it off a little longer, look at the end of the runway, end of the runway, end of the runway" and "GET OFF MY LAWN."
Funny how it changes, now you can ask where they were when Kennedy was shot

Me, when lugging my pubs case around and I hear there's another jepp revision out

Absolutely 100% true. I wore my company issue M&H shirt on exactly one trip before switching to A Cut Above.

They look absurd. Oh yeah, and somehow they also managed to chafe my neck horribly.

I actually like the M&H pants, though.

-Fox

I just wear what they give me... absurd or not... its what my employer wants me to wear. Heck if they gave me a chicken suit I’d think about it for a couple seconds and then start working on my crowing technique. If another brand is more comfortable more power to you but if my CP thinks I look silly wearing a trash bag fitting shirt and MC Hammer pants that their tailor gave me I’ll let them assess the cost/benefit of issuing new uniforms. For what its worth the M&H shirt fits me great and I actually enjoy the pants we have... there is some flex in the waist!

1538784499153.gif

I just wear what they give me... absurd or not... its what my employer wants me to wear. Heck if they gave me a chicken suit I’d think about it for a couple seconds and then start working on my crowing technique. If another brand is more comfortable more power to you but if my CP thinks I look silly wearing a trash bag fitting shirt and MC Hammer pants that their tailor gave me I’ll let them assess the cost/benefit of issuing new uniforms. For what its worth the M&H shirt fits me great and I actually enjoy the pants we have... there is some flex in the waist!

View attachment 45177

And that's completely fine. However, my ooperator has multiple approved uniform vendors, and so the 'company look' already varies tremendously. Throw into that the fact that pretty much anything outside of "shirt, tie/crossover, pants, belt" is an ooptional uniform item, and we look like pirates anyway. So if we're going to choose our look, I'll look as professional as I can manage.

If you wore a bra, you'd probably appreciate some of the other deficiencies of the M&H shirts...

Believe me, if it were up to me, I'd prefer that the airline look was company-issued flight suits. I grew up wearing those*, and they're perfect for this 'pilot' job...

-Fox

* - I grew up very poor in an AF town, so military surplus was a thing.

Really? You have your pants made from scratch? If so, why just the pants?

No, not just trousers, also shirts and ties. I haven’t had a bespoke suit made yet, because I rarely wear them unless I’m going to court, but planning to do that once I lose some more weight. You just can’t beat truly custom clothes. It’s so much more comfortable.

And that's completely fine. However, my ooperator has multiple approved uniform vendors, and so the 'company look' already varies tremendously. Throw into that the fact that pretty much anything outside of "shirt, tie/crossover, pants, belt" is an ooptional uniform item, and we look like pirates anyway. So if we're going to choose our look, I'll look as professional as I can manage.

If you wore a bra, you'd probably appreciate some of the other deficiencies of the M&H shirts...

Believe me, if it were up to me, I'd prefer that the airline look was company-issued flight suits. I grew up wearing those*, and they're perfect for this 'pilot' job...

-Fox

* - I grew up very poor in an AF town, so military surplus was a thing.

Fox,
I did not intend to undermine your post... I was just trying to add an additional perspective and offer a little levity... I apologize if my post came off in any way beyond that.
I too wore much military surplus growling up (heck I’d love it if my company went to flightsuits)... held up quite nicely for a kid on a Kansas farm... denim trousers (ironed of course) were reserved for church on Sunday.

Back