UND Aerospace plans for a new building

Far west end connect to ryan hall???? There is hardly no room what so ever to build on since they built and recently opened some new structure across the Hilton and ryan hall. What are they going to do, tear up the parking lot and build there? Stupid decision to build there in my opinion, choose a better site.

The University of North Dakota aerospace school aims to break ground this spring on a new building, with the goal of attracting businesses that want to be part of the university’s growing aerospace research and development conglomerate.

Sounds a lot to me like part of the UAV research initiative recently authorized by the FAA.

I think it is a great building block for the schools UAS program. It gives them a great opportunity to expand and grow the program. Frankly the CFI pay at UND isn't all that bad, as long as you have your ratings and are willing to work full time. Aviation is the same as any other industry, you have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top, starting at the bottom does not include making $50,000 per year. Although we all want higher pay, we are still going to have to take a pay cut to make that jump to a regional.

I think it is a great building block for the schools UAS program. It gives them a great opportunity to expand and grow the program. Frankly the CFI pay at UND isn't all that bad, as long as you have your ratings and are willing to work full time. Aviation is the same as any other industry, you have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top, starting at the bottom does not include making $50,000 per year. Although we all want higher pay, we are still going to have to take a pay cut to make that jump to a regional.

I wasn't arguing for higher pay. $2000 checks in the summertime and $600 checks in the wintertime are a little bit ridiculous. What I was arguing for is guaranteed pay, like a salary or a base-plus arrangement (that joke of additional compensation doesn't count, I put in 1350 flight hours before I departed in November which meant I forfeited around 3500 bucks of 'bonus').

If you want more stable hours during the winter you can work in the bookstore :)
OR I could count up the countless hours I spend working on scheduling, student records, playing phone tag with higher-ups, and other wonderful gymnastics that go hand in hand with CFIing in this place, all which occur with the Hobbs not ticking. The better part is when leads tell us to add it into pre/post. Unless it's an international student, we usually have to fight tooth and nail for every tenth we stick in that box that isn't face-to-face time.

Somebody said to add that time to pre-post? I wouldn't do that. Working at home without getting paid is part of the job, the student only gets charged for time you're there. And in my opinion, only time you're actually teaching the student (not while you're inside and they're doing the preflight).

Somebody said to add that time to pre-post? I wouldn't do that. Working at home without getting paid is part of the job, the student only gets charged for time you're there. And in my opinion, only time you're actually teaching the student (not while you're inside and they're doing the preflight).
Yup

Full time stage check pilots have it a little differently. Between prep for stage (checking records, having a solid written POA), scheduling, tasking, and de-briefing the CFI, it can easily be an additional 8 hours of work a week. Only in the CFI field is it expected to do a full day's worth of work completely unpaid.

Full time stage check pilots have it a little differently. Between prep for stage (checking records, having a solid written POA), scheduling, tasking, and de-briefing the CFI, it can easily be an additional 8 hours of work a week. Only in the CFI field is it expected to do a full day's worth of work completely unpaid.
Oh boy. Just wait. Regionals or corporate/charter. Lots of work "off the click".

I feel your pain. It was the same 10+ years ago. Weeks of flying 8 hours a day to weeks of nothing.

Oh boy. Just wait. Regionals or corporate/charter. Lots of work "off the click".

I feel your pain. It was the same 10+ years ago. Weeks of flying 8 hours a day to weeks of nothing.

Any work "off the click" is morally wrong, and whomever first decided it was ok to start that practice needs to be taken out behind a hangar and beaten with a hose. I don't work a job where I do any "off the click" work.

OR I could count up the countless hours I spend working on scheduling, student records, playing phone tag with higher-ups, and other wonderful gymnastics that go hand in hand with CFIing in this place, all which occur with the Hobbs not ticking. The better part is when leads tell us to add it into pre/post. Unless it's an international student, we usually have to fight tooth and nail for every tenth we stick in that box that isn't face-to-face time.

Sorta off topic but,

I just explain to them that you dictate the flow of every lesson. If i wanted to make the lesson take .3 longer in the plane I could. Multiply that by cessna rate + instructor versus if I simply put what I think is fair [within reason] for pre-post. I try to make lessons extremely efficient for undergraduates. For international students... well... nothing quite like a 1.9 hour 221 lesson :)

Now, I wouldn't be so salty if we at least had longevity raises, a small base salary, or some more performance based incentives ($100 bonus for successful first attempt stage check anyone? And yes I know about annual compensation :D) It only sort of bugs me when I see a brand new CFII making the exact same pay with 50 dual given when I've proven myself as a safe instructor, have a 90% first attempt pass rate and 800 dual given. Need more of those 414 stan'd guys to leave :bounce:

Additional compensation is nothing more than a shiny ball and chain. I gave up $3500 worth of it in November and never looked back.

Back