UAL to require all employees to get vaccinated

1628275708352.png

Stolen from Facebook…. :bounce:

I thought I read at United the pilot group was the most vaccinated for the workforces. I know they said the same for us, not sure if still true. I feel like this is going to a bigger problem for lower paying jobs, but I guess those are easily replaceable.

I got my vax in March and my 10 hours pay, and once this is FDA approved I will hardly feel bad if your choice to not get vaccinated has consequences. Life is about choices.

5/31/20211,900,170353,2612,499,002

7/4/20211,681,896732,1232,795,369

Even it if was the case a day or two above the year in question would not warrant what you stated. Also there is always that pesky correlation vs causation thing. Did the vaccine drive those numbers?

I was told that airlines may never hire pilots again, because of COVID.

Incredible to see how many pilots know more about viruses and vaccines than the world's doctors and scientists. To be honest, I'm going to stop going to my dr and see a pilot for all medical issues.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, I’ll take your calls!

This morning, a news article announced that United Airlines will mandate vaccines for all their employees, which has spurred questions from our pilots as to whether AA will try to do the same.

It’s important to note that 90% of UAL pilots have already been vaccinated, according to a UAL MEC message this morning. As an important distinction, the most recent information APA has received indicates that only 60% of AA pilots have been vaccinated. It is much less controversial to impose a vaccine mandate when you are starting from a baseline of 90% of your pilots already being vaccinated.

We will also reiterate two important points from yesterday’s APA President blast “Vaccine Mandates: Where We Stand

• Since vaccine distribution began, AA CEO Doug Parker has publicly stated that American will not mandate vaccines, and he reaffirmed this stance yesterday. In contrast, since vaccine distribution began, UAL CEO Scott Kirby has stated his desire for mandatory vaccines.
  • APA’s position is that the choice to be vaccinated should be with the pilot, and any proposed vaccine mandate would be subject to collective bargaining.

As two of the 20 Directors who collectively provide tasking to the Negotiating Committee, we oppose the concept of mandated vaccines among the pilot group. This is not a stance on vaccines; we are both vaccinated, as are our family members. Rather, this is a stance about imposing on the pilot’s ability to make decisions on their health and well-being.

We remain hopeful that we will continue with voluntary vaccinations under the provisions of LOA 21-002.

By whom? I never heard that. Even as my airline employer was folding in on itself.

That was probably me, a year ago I figured it was unlikely the airline industry would ever recover from the Pandemic. I still think there's a good chance much business travel is gone for good but that's pretty uncertain at this point.

At this point last year I figured there wouldn't be a Covid vaccine until 2025 if ever and the economy would enter a full-blown Depression just like in the '30s because of the ongoing Pandemic; and so demand for air travel would never recover in any meaningful way and there'd be little to no hiring at the airlines, or at least it would be years before there was hiring again. As bad as the Covid situation is today it's much better than I thought it would be at this point in 2020.

Back