Type III De-icing Fluid - Color?

Seggy

I believe it is a pinkish color. PM Beechpilot he is a deicer for us up in AUG and I think they got Type III up there.

tomokc

Leaving KTVC two days ago in a CRJ200, we were first deiced with Type I, and then "rinsed" with Type IV. We had a relatively light accumulation of snow, and light snow was falling.

Why the one-two application?

highspeed

Type 1 is used to clean off an aircraft (de-ice) and type 4 is used to keep it clean when precip is falling (anti-ice). Type 4 has a longer hold over time for when type1 will fail before getting airborne.

amorris311

If you think Type IV is nasty then you have never seen Type III. Not only is it nasty but it is sticky as well.
:(

z987k

If you think Type IV is nasty then you have never seen Type III. Not only is it nasty but it is sticky as well.
:(
I remember going on 4 hour flights and landing with the airplane not just dripping but lines of de-ice fluid coming off every corner.

ZapBrannigan

Old School
yeah we landed in ABQ the other day and the line guy thought we had a hydraulic leak as what was left of it oozed onto the ramp.

N519AT

Ahh! This is how I change this!
Yeah it takes a loooong time for all the deice fluid to get off of an airplane. Our airplanes are pretty much always orange in the winter because we're constantly deicing.

amorris311

You can put Type III on without Type I. My former airline used it at almost every outstation save a few.

cmhumphr

Yeah it takes a loooong time for all the deice fluid to get off of an airplane. Our airplanes are pretty much always orange in the winter because we're constantly deicing.
I always hated opening that stupid hell hole panel where the FDR and ACM is. Stuff just leaks all over you.

MikeOH58

No one has mentioned it yet, but you can't put II, III or IV on without a base of I first.
Disagree. Example - Aircraft in hangar, clean airframe. There is no reason you would apply type I prior to type iv, and I am yet to see anything in the H.O.T.'s, AFM or deice fluid manufacturers procedures that say otherwise.

Autothrust Blue

Very querulous
Disagree. Example - Aircraft in hangar, clean airframe. There is no reason you would apply type I prior to type iv, and I am yet to see anything in the H.O.T.'s, AFM or deice fluid manufacturers procedures that say otherwise.
As long as the aircraft is clean I don't see why you physically couldn't...but if there's freezing precip out, the machine likely isn't clean. At least at my work anyway. We only hangar for maintenance. ;) (cheap!)