Type III De-icing Fluid - Color?

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Does anyone know what color type III deicing fluid is?

Type I is pink
Type II is amber
Type IV is green

I believe it is a pinkish color. PM Beechpilot he is a deicer for us up in AUG and I think they got Type III up there.

Leaving KTVC two days ago in a CRJ200, we were first deiced with Type I, and then "rinsed" with Type IV. We had a relatively light accumulation of snow, and light snow was falling.

Why the one-two application?

Type 1 is used to clean off an aircraft (de-ice) and type 4 is used to keep it clean when precip is falling (anti-ice). Type 4 has a longer hold over time for when type1 will fail before getting airborne.

If you think Type IV is nasty then you have never seen Type III. Not only is it nasty but it is sticky as well.
:(

If you think Type IV is nasty then you have never seen Type III. Not only is it nasty but it is sticky as well.
:(
I remember going on 4 hour flights and landing with the airplane not just dripping but lines of de-ice fluid coming off every corner.

yeah we landed in ABQ the other day and the line guy thought we had a hydraulic leak as what was left of it oozed onto the ramp.

Yeah it takes a loooong time for all the deice fluid to get off of an airplane. Our airplanes are pretty much always orange in the winter because we're constantly deicing.

You can put Type III on without Type I. My former airline used it at almost every outstation save a few.

Its true. We have it at our home base for just that reason. Hybrid fluid. Works good.

Yeah it takes a loooong time for all the deice fluid to get off of an airplane. Our airplanes are pretty much always orange in the winter because we're constantly deicing.

I always hated opening that stupid hell hole panel where the FDR and ACM is. Stuff just leaks all over you.

No one has mentioned it yet, but you can't put II, III or IV on without a base of I first.

Disagree. Example - Aircraft in hangar, clean airframe. There is no reason you would apply type I prior to type iv, and I am yet to see anything in the H.O.T.'s, AFM or deice fluid manufacturers procedures that say otherwise.

Disagree. Example - Aircraft in hangar, clean airframe. There is no reason you would apply type I prior to type iv, and I am yet to see anything in the H.O.T.'s, AFM or deice fluid manufacturers procedures that say otherwise.
As long as the aircraft is clean I don't see why you physically couldn't...but if there's freezing precip out, the machine likely isn't clean. At least at my work anyway. We only hangar for maintenance. ;) (cheap!)

Back