Type III De-icing Fluid - Color?

Disagree. Example - Aircraft in hangar, clean airframe. There is no reason you would apply type I prior to type iv, and I am yet to see anything in the H.O.T.'s, AFM or deice fluid manufacturers procedures that say otherwise.
When I was working ramp the de-ice fluid company's training manual said always type 1 before 4.

To be clear, I am talking about applying type iv while inside the hangar prior to pullout.
I am as well. All applications of type 4 had to be preceded by type 1 no matter how clean and warm an airplane was. This was a manufacturers stipulation and not company as well.

Quite the opposite. Mechanics apply with a hand sprayer, essentially zero waste and little drip. Wings and tail only, never had a full airframe anti ice in the hangar. At $17+/gallon retail from the FBO's, if you have a private hangar and support crew to make this work it is a great financial option.

Quite the opposite. Mechanics apply with a hand sprayer, essentially zero waste and little drip. Wings and tail only, never had a full airframe anti ice in the hangar. At $17+/gallon retail from the FBO's, if you have a private hangar and support crew to make this work it is a great financial option.
How do you determine holdover times? I would think you would be going back to get hand waxed before y even left the hangar.

How do you determine holdover times? I would think you would be going back to get hand waxed before y even left the hangar.

It should start at the beginning of the application, but somehow I don't think that is being taken into account for this operation....

Same as you would outdoors...HOT begins at start of application.
I know how the rule works. You said they apply with a hand sprayer. Are they on cherry pickers while they do this? It would seem like it takes a long time to apply that way and that would lead to going past your holdover time. That's all I'm trying to get at. It's hard for me to visualize this I guess.

Cherry picker for the tail, not necessary for the wings. Wings and tail are completed in less then 30 minutes.

Cherry picker for the tail, not necessary for the wings. Wings and tail are completed in less then 30 minutes.
Am I correct in assuming you don't have long taxi times to the runway? If it saves a buck and it creates less waste then I'm all about it. I guess I learn something new everyday.

No one has mentioned it yet, but you can't put II, III or IV on without a base of I first.
What you talkin' 'bout Willis!?

It may be but I have never heard of that. I am never in a hangar, usually on a snowy or icy ramp so its never been an issue, but I have never heard a rule against it.

I know how the rule works. You said they apply with a hand sprayer. Are they on cherry pickers while they do this? It would seem like it takes a long time to apply that way and that would lead to going past your holdover time. That's all I'm trying to get at. It's hard for me to visualize this I guess.
Holdover times are pretty much a 121 thing. It isn't a bad reference but in the end is not required for 91 or 135.

Is the sprayer you're using made specifically for type 4? If not, the fluid may be damaged, and not function like it is supposed to.

Back