Type III De-icing Fluid - Color?

Holdover times are pretty much a 121 thing. It isn't a bad reference but in the end is not required for 91 or 135.
Really? I dunno if I would like that. Those fluids have time frames on them for a reason. I see that you say you use them for a reference but my god I would definitely have some serious pucker factor if the conditions were not good.

Really? I dunno if I would like that. Those fluids have time frames on them for a reason. I see that you say you use them for a reference but my god I would definitely have some serious pucker factor if the conditions were not good.

In 135 we just have a straight up 5 minute window. We do a visual inspection before engine start at which point we start the timer. After 5 minutes we check a "representative surface" for contamination. If no contamination we can start the clock for another 5 minutes. 135 could get an authorization for the 121 version and use the applicable regs. Pretty sure 121 is much more restrictive and expensive so I don't see any 135 operators doing that.

Pretty sure Part 91 is spray and go regardless of time. Would be stupid though.

The worst thing is that we can only use Type I on most of our aircraft. The 100k rotation speed requirement hurts for Type IV.

It should start at the beginning of the application, but somehow I don't think that is being taken into account for this operation....

How do you base that opinion? That flight departments just put on type IV and say "She'll be all right?" Just because it is not 'industry standard' procedure, does not mean it is taken lightly. Not entirely time consuming either.

The worst thing is that we can only use Type I on most of our aircraft. The 100k rotation speed requirement hurts for Type IV.

We had that issue with the PC-12, but Pilatus went out and did a bunch of flight testing, and found out that despite having less than 100 knot rotation speed, we can take type 4. The only operational change is that we have to increase the rotation speed by 10 knots.

Back