Two killed as small planes collide midair in Florida

Oxman

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/killed-small-planes-collide-midair-article-1.3016113

EDGEWATER, Fla. — Two people died after their single-engine airplanes collided midair Saturday morning over the central Florida coast, authorities said.

The planes crashed into a wooded area west of Interstate 95 near Edgewater on Saturday morning, killing both pilots, the Edgewater Fire Rescue Department reported on its Facebook page.

A witness told The Daytona Beach News-Journal that she saw the planes collide around 8:45 a.m. while flying in formation with several other planes.

planes2n-1-web.jpg

The two single-engine planes collided midair, killing the pilots.
(WFTV9)
Debris from the planes was seen between the crash site and the highway, which was about a half-mile away.

Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman with the Federal Aviation Administration, said in an email that one of the planes was a Cessna 170 and the other a Grumman American AA5B.

https://twitter.com/clairemetzwesh
The planes crashed about 3 miles from Massey Airpark in New Smyrna. Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board were at the crash site, the fire department said. Each plane had one person inside. Neither of the pilots has been identified.

RIP to the pilots. GA flying is scary stuff down in FL. I don't know how Daytona Approach manages the dense air traffic sometimes.

ive seen a lot of formation flying done on a whim and am not surprised to see accidents related to this. I've done it but only after a lot of preparation with other like minded pilots. If the guy is marginal I just trail behind him.......way way behind him.

Edit: I stand corrected these were high time guys. Very sad. Hope some positive comes out of this

Last edited:
Tailwinds...

As beautiful as Aviation may be, sometimes it takes away some of the best people. It's really hard to see his golf cart parked in front of the hangar, knowing that he won't come back to share stories and experiences with you. Rest in Peace G.S.

I guess I just don't see the appeal of formation flying unless you're flying an old warbird or something.

I can see that, I spent hundreds of hours in formation, going out to the carrier, training, etc. Flew form im C-2s, T-2C and 75% og my time flying form as an IP in the T-45C Goshawk. Day, night, IMC, 2, 3, 4 plane, over the top and TAC form ( a bit different). Form flying in jets, with a prpose was fantastic, a bit not so fun in the big Turbo prop E2/C2 and I dont think flying form in small, slow aircraft would do much for me. In addition, formation training and experience is key. There was an awful mishap with Navy IPs fying an impromptu form flight...more to it than just the form flying but some were just not up to par, even with their basic form training.

RIP to the aviators.

You must be talking about 47's and Medevac. . Formation isn't in their jargon, only same way same day...
:D
I flew lights out night formation tonight for the first time. Pardon the pun, but it's an eye opener...

You must be talking about 47's and Medevac. . Formation isn't in their jargon, only same way same day...
:D
I flew lights out night formation tonight for the first time. Pardon the pun, but it's an eye opener...

Yes, but it's an ass closer!

Back