Two brand new 172 SPs w/ G1000 have new parking spots

Are they actually new, or are they the same two which showed up two years ago, remained unused, and ended up in Daytona after the Riddle fleet got chewed up by the tornado?

So whats the deal with the extra... is that staying out on the ramp or being flown in when needed?

The only way I see people utilizing the 172's would be to implement 2-3 lessons within step 4. Otherwise, they will collect dust.

The only way I see people utilizing the 172's would be to implement 2-3 lessons within step 4. Otherwise, they will collect dust.

They'd make great rentals..

...and there's an Extra for the spin program now? Gotta be way better than the Zlin..

Better how? Better for teaching someone who's never done them before? The Zlin was overkill. Better for a CFI endorsement? No, it spins nothing like the basic trainers the CFI should be prepared for.

The sensible thing from a flight training standpoint would be offer an advanced aeros course in the Extra and spin the new 172's.

But, of course, they're both there for marketing more than anything else.

Better how? Better for teaching someone who's never done them before? The Zlin was overkill. Better for a CFI endorsement? No, it spins nothing like the basic trainers the CFI should be prepared for.

The sensible thing from a flight training standpoint would be offer an advanced aeros course in the Extra and spin the new 172's.

But, of course, they're both there for marketing more than anything else.

Wow, you need a hug dude! Just goes to show that no matter what you do...... there is always someone that is unhappy.

I like the new installments, however, like I said before.....they need to implement the 172's into phase 4 or they will collect dust.

The new spin program is a step in the right direction. At least the newer airplanes should be there when the customers need them, unlike the "...falling apart Zlins..." that we could never keep running.

I always need hugs.

My point is the object of the spin training is to prepare the instructor for the student who spins when trying a power-on stall. That training is better accomplished in a 172.

The Extra (I've only flown the 300) is funner than, well, almost anything, but that doesn't make it a better initial trainer. If the desire is for an aerobatic airplane then something like a decathlon would be a better bet, for basic and simple handling. Imagine spin training were compulsory for Private Pilot students (it should be!). As their instructor, do you think they benefit more from seeing it in the airplane they've been flying, or from a greatly higher performance airplane which handles totally differently?

Using an Extra is like teaching skid control to a Prius driver in a Corvette. Great fun, but it doesn't really translate and won't be all that useful when doing it for real.

It's obvious the decision was part of 'Shiney Flightline Syndrome' to attract students rather than for quality of training.

"...falling apart Zlins..."
Why because maintenance department does NOT know how to use metric tools? Or because the director of maintenance stink?

"...falling apart Zlins..."
Why because maintenance department does NOT know how to use metric tools? Or because the director of maintenance stink?

Not at all. Our maintenance is great. The Zlin parts (from what I hear) are hard to come by and/or expensive. Cost analysis.....guess this is why FSA turned their heads to contract out the spin program.

I always need hugs.

My point is the object of the spin training is to prepare the instructor for the student who spins when trying a power-on stall. That training is better accomplished in a 172.

The Extra (I've only flown the 300) is funner than, well, almost anything, but that doesn't make it a better initial trainer. If the desire is for an aerobatic airplane then something like a decathlon would be a better bet, for basic and simple handling. Imagine spin training were compulsory for Private Pilot students (it should be!). As their instructor, do you think they benefit more from seeing it in the airplane they've been flying, or from a greatly higher performance airplane which handles totally differently?

Using an Extra is like teaching skid control to a Prius driver in a Corvette. Great fun, but it doesn't really translate and won't be all that useful when doing it for real.

It's obvious the decision was part of 'Shiney Flightline Syndrome' to attract students rather than for quality of training.

I like your metaphor :laff: I drive a corvette. I get your point.

I don't think management cares about how the training will translate to our CIME students or our CFI candidates. They're more concerned about the marketing aspect.
I agree they don't make the best initial spin trainer.

bLizZuE,
do the 172's have the autopilot option?

There are 2 items (in my opinion) that FlightSafety does not train enough in....
1. Cross country time outside of Florida
2. Autopilot training

I don't want the beginners completing these items, however, it should become a requirement for step 4 and 5. The market is going all glass cockpits that have the autopilot option and I think it's a disadvantage for the customers to be introduced to these items at there first job.

Just my opinion.

Back