Turbine Vs Jet...

I jsut ball parked it... i know its atleast 200k. But I have not been able to obtain that information from him yet.

EX... 700/hr to operate the pc-12... times 300hrs a year.. thast 210,000.

But you see it's more than that. Hangar, insurance, pilot costs, management of said airplane, takeoff/landing fees, FBO fees, ect. I'd say to fly a Pork Chop 300 hours a year would be at minimum $500,000 per year.

Sign me up to fly the dual with you on your legs to Cabo. Assuming you land with the PC12. I'm all about having a drink at Sammy's place...

I noticed the topic of comfort coming through in your posts as well as well as your student's nervous nature for lack of better words.

My boss was a former Citation Shares owner from which he had a CJ3. He got the itch to try learning to fly which brought us to purchase a Matrix. He quickly discovered that he would not invest the time in trying to learn to fly and became disgruntled with the travel times and lack of comfort. Which led us to the PC-12 which in his words make for a great balance. More comfort than the CJ3 just not quite as fast

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but...

Be VERY careful being your boss' CFI. There is a complete reversal of authority and it sounds as if your boss may not be the type to take that very lightly. I know I had to put my foot down when my boss pushed me to renew my CFI certificate; he has a very macho attitude and it wouldn't go over too well if I had to set him straight from the right seat of his airplane. That, and I don't want my name anywhere near his logbook.

Time to start doing some real homework I think.

Your $700 per hour probably won't cover all the costs involved (just guessing), but to find out for sure I'd start with something like an ARG/US Operating Cost report and take a close look at all the costs involved:

http://aviationresearch.com/Products/acftlist.asp

Here's a sample report:

http://www.aviationresearch.com/Files/AOC.pdf

That's great info!

I wish they had this for smaller aircraft like a Piper Cherokee 6

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but...

Be VERY careful being your boss' CFI. There is a complete reversal of authority and it sounds as if your boss may not be the type to take that very lightly. I know I had to put my foot down when my boss pushed me to renew my CFI certificate; he has a very macho attitude and it wouldn't go over too well if I had to set him straight from the right seat of his airplane. That, and I don't want my name anywhere near his logbook.

I am already his CFI on a much smaller aircraft that he owns.

SoonerAv8r.... They used your PC-12 Picture in the news, and it was nuts to see your exact profile picture, and I remember you once saying that even though it is your profile picture.. THAT is the EXACT PLANE that you do fly. So ... hearing today's PC-12 down in Montana, the first thought was to see if you're alright???

Yes I'm here. I flew up to Boston yesterday. Kinda feeling sick thinking about this accident.

Thanks for your concern....

Yes I'm here. I flew up to Boston yesterday. Kinda feeling sick thinking about this accident.

no prob. Glad to hear everything ok. Very sad situation, even more so if the media actually gets this one right...

I freaked out to, my jaw dropped when they showed your airplane pictured on the news. Glad to hear you are fine.

I freaked out to, my jaw dropped when they showed your airplane pictured on the news. Glad to hear you are fine.

Yea I guess that's the drawback to flying the poster-child. I've recieved at least 20 calls today making sure that wasn't us.

I'd be asking for 65-75k if I were in your shoes. A third year captain at alpha is making 53k with no management responsibility, and non single pilot. Add on 20-30% for your troubles, and that brings you in the 65-75k range.

I would also be asking for full benefits, + a company credit card for incidentals and expenses. Don't get stuck putting hotels, crew cars and meals on your personal C.C. only to find out your re-imbersment check isn't coming until a week after your c.c. bill is do, and now you have interest.

It sounds to me that he needs to take an assessment of what he is buying the airplane for. Some questions he ought to consider:

How often does he fly?

Where does he fly?

How valuable is his time vs. his money? i.e. does he value getting their quicker in a jet, or the lower operating cost of a turboprop?

The way I see it, his choice should be driven by what his needs and uses of the airplane are/will be. The leaseback market is a secondary consideration. One assumes he is not buying the airplane simply to lease it out again; what would be the point of ownership?

MAJOR UPDATE!

Sorry it has taken so long to post. The owner has bought a Citation. The other silent partner has invested as well, so now its time to get to training.

I am going to take a few rides with a guy out of KTUL, who is a friend of the owner. He wants me to get some experience with the pilot and Im going to be flying SIC for long time (which is perfectly fine with me since the pay is decent). But he wants me to get some real world experience before heading off to FS in May. I dont have too much jet experience at all and I definatly dont want to go into this thing feet dry and show up with nothing prepared to help myself mentally and physically "swing gear" for him for a few hours. I do have lots of two crew experience from a past corporate job, non turbine. So im familliar with call outs, checklist, and great crm techniques to help make the transition easier.

Basically, what I would like it.. those that have flown a Citation... I know you guys have specific call outs that you will do, not so much the before start flows, but in flight ... v1/v2 roatate.. , +rate on all three, no usubale left.., gear in transit, gear up and locked.. gear disengage.. etc etc... climb thrust set.. I Know there is a checklist as well, and that im going over.. but I also want to get some of the "basic calls" thats are being used memorized and then jsut tack on the speed as called for.

Can anyone help with this, Id greatly appreacite it.

Thanks, and i'll keep ya posted..

Brent C.

Basically, call outs depend on the model.

But on the Citation III, we say,
PF- Set Power
PM- Power Set

PM- Airspeeds Alive

PM - 80 Knots Crosschecked

PM- v1

PM - Rotate

PM - Positive Rate
PF - Gear UP
PM - Gear Selected UP

PM - V2 + 25
PF - Flaps UP

Etc.

What model are you going to be on?

Citation Bravo.... Ya i figured its standard call outs as before, but just wanted a good refresher and if someone had like a quick profile for taxi-shut down again, that would be awesome.. i know its a lot to ask, but its just something to help me stay grounded with all of this to make sure that I atleast sound like I know what im doing before i get my type.

Thanks again.

I have the Citation Ultra Shutdown one on me, Its not the exact same as the bravo but pretty close... If you want me to type that one out I can.

After landing
1. Thrust reversers - stow
2. Flaps - up
3. Ingnition - normal
4. Pitot/static heat - off
5. Speed brakes - retract
6. Anticollision lights and recognition lights - off if necessary
7. Anti-ice/deice - off
8. Transponder - standby
9. Radar - off or standby

shutdown
1. Avionics power switche(s) - off
2. Defog fan - off
3. Airconditioner - off
4. Flaps - takeoff and approach
5. Throttles - off after allowing itt to stab. At min. Value for one minute.
6. Pass advisory lights - off
7. Flashing beacon light - off
8. Standby gyro switch - off
9. Exterior lights - off
10. Control lock - engage
11. Parking brake - set or wheels (chock)
12. Batt switch - off
13. Engine covers - install (after cooled)

After landing
1. Thrust reversers - stow
2. Flaps - up
3. Ingnition - normal
4. Pitot/static heat - off
5. Speed brakes - retract
6. Anticollision lights and recognition lights - off if necessary
7. Anti-ice/deice - off
8. Transponder - standby
9. Radar - off or standby

shutdown
1. Avionics power switche(s) - off
2. Defog fan - off
3. Airconditioner - off
4. Flaps - takeoff and approach
5. Throttles - off after allowing itt to stab. At min. Value for one minute.
6. Pass advisory lights - off
7. Flashing beacon light - off
8. Standby gyro switch - off
9. Exterior lights - off
10. Control lock - engage
11. Parking brake - set or wheels (chock)
12. Batt switch - off
13. Engine covers - install (after cooled)

Sweet, ya this will help things going, appreacite it very much, I get the checklist in about two weeks, just tryin to get a head start.
thanks
Brent C

Congrats on the news!!!

Who is it that you are going to be flying with out of KTUL? KRVS as you may know is just a stones throw from there. If you find yourself stuck up there send me a ping and we'll see if we can work out some dinner.

Me I'm sitting in MCO for the weekend working on my tan....

Back