Training Blog!

USMC-SSGT

*this may need to be moved to the FBO section in training*

I appologize in advance because this will be very long winded because it is post numero uno and I need to set up the story so...for those that know me (as much as you can know me at least) I got back from Iraq last week and I had planned to build hours until i get out of the Marines in April at which point I would go to Ari Ben to do the VA 141 pro course. I had picked Ari because of their great reviews, being VA approved, and the fact that I could try to get the remaing of ratings in the two months time that i was still being paid by the Corps after i got out, not to mention my sister lives near Miami and my mother lives in Naples.

So i had an epiphany while flying my favorite citabria out of my local FBO. I noticed that the Citabria was the cheapest of any that I had seen around and I also noticed that they were VA 141 approved as well. I really like the personnel and the entire environment of the school. I spoke with the wife and realized that instead of just building time why not just start the training now and work on finishing all of my ratings through MEI, CFII etc while still in the Marines and getting paid. We figured the money will be spent regardless of whether it is next April when the prices have gone up or periodically now through April. After doing the math and seeing that I pay $145/hr for the Duchess and a miserly $30 for the MEI not to mention that i dont have to have ANY safety pilot time, I realized that this is definately the thing to do.

SO ONTO THE PLAN

So here is the plan. I figured that I am going to shoot for 6 hours per week mostly on the days that my wife works since our time is valuable together while we can still get it. The 6 hours per week works out to roughly 156 hours of which all but around 10 of that will be multi by April 1st of 2007. I figure I should be able to get close to 75 or so solo in the Duchess give or take a few, all of it, minus the PMEL will be non safety pilot PIC. I fly out of KCRQ or Palomar airport in Carlsbad, Ca and for those of you who do not know it is a very busy Class D jet airport in Souther Cal 30 miles north of San Diego intl and 45 miles south of LAX and 30 miles south of John Wayne class C. The airport is often too busy for touch and goes so every flight I try to incorporate a landing or two at nearby class D much less busy Ramona (6 min flight away from KCRQ) this is great because it is a towered airport with a nice long runway in a great area with minimal traffic not to mention it allows me to log all of the time in my all important 135 X-C time category for the future. I am starting with PMEL and then onto CMEL and then CSEL and then my instructor ratings. The plan is by April 1st I should have my CMEL/CSEL and my MEI, CFI, CFII, AGI, IGI and be sitting at a little over 300 TT with 150ish ME. After that we will then move to maybe Florida in pursuit of an instructor job. I am still thinking maybe Ari Ben due to the number of hours their instructors average and the amount of ME time they get. Basically if I can get on board a place like that I can build hours in one year that would take me 3 living back in the North East where I am from with extremely minimal multi hours. ALso when we get out in April 1st and start working as a CFI, we will still have 2 months of military pay coming to us to help out the transition and also an aditional 2k of dislocation allowance the military pays which will all make the transition much less stressful.

THE PLANE
The plane is a 1981 Beech Duchess in good to excellent condition. It is equipped with Dual Nav/Com, dual VOR with Localizer, ADR, RMI, Digital EGT, Auto pilot and what I feel its best features a Garmin 430 and a Digital electronic HSI/MFD/EFIS which is slaved. It has the usual lycoming 360 engines..not much to say here they are all pretty standard, if you want to know more about the duchess, just google it.

Onto flight 1

I arrived at my school at 1630 for my 1730 flight and started going over a little ground work with my MEI. We only did a half hour of ground work just to touch on the basic "must knows" of the twin and he informed me of the books I would need to buy. His plan for the flight was just a basic indoctrination into the duchess to get familiar with it and that the next flight we would dig right into the engine outs and the meat and potatos of the rating.

We go over the pre-flight according to the checklist and really nothing to new here, just two of everything and about 6 more fuel sumps to check and alot of time spent under the wings, white shirts and khaki pants are not highly reccomended as I spent a fair amount of time under the main gear well sumping tanks and looking at the gear. Check the props and spinners and ensure no oil on the prop to tip you off on constant speed problem and leaks, preflight took about ten minutes but will be cut down next time as i learn the steps, i didnt check the elevator since it was 11 feet in the air, i just looked at it and confirmed it was there.

We taxi the 1/4-1/2 mile from out behind "Premier Jet" and past Skywest and the crash fire rescue to finally make it to taxiway "A" and head towards the runup area of runway "24" Taxiing was not a big deal and I learned to use the engines to assist the turns. Ie, to turn right use right rudder and pull back manifold pressure a little on right engine and increase man pressure on left engine and voila. Runup was the same except for two engines and a non event for anyone that has complex experience.

Cleared for takeoff we do lights, camera, action and lift off at 71kts. The takeoff was uneventful with the exception that it gets up to speed much faster than the Citabria I am used to flying. Positive rate of climb, gear up and we are climbing at 85. We were off to the practice area and I basically did private pilot maneuvers, some steep turns and some descents and some climbs and a few other basic maneuvers. I felt great in the plane and found it to be much more stable than i had thought and performed the maneuvers as good if not better than i typically do in a single. The MEI thought that due to the downslanting nose I would think I was descending and constantly climb, but it was never a problem because I have some 170 time which also has a downsloping nose which did catch me climbing needlessly.

After he figured the basic indoc was fine we decided to experiment with some basic engine outs just to get a feel for it. One thing I want to add for those with zero multi time is when they talk about "dead foot, dead engine" and you ask "how will I know which foot or rudder is dead?" the answer is, it is OBVIOUS. He pulled the mixture on my engine and immediately the plane yawed and I needed to put close to 80lbs of pressure on the "good" engines rudder "ok i get it, that is DEFINATELY a dead pedal!" He told me an acronym that i forgot all ready but it was basically Control, Cram, Clean, Identify, Verify, Feather or Fix. So i controlled the plane, crammed from right to left, mixtures, props, manifold pressures, ensured flaps and gears were up, Slowly pulled the throttle on the engine that corresponded to the "dead pedal" from there we determined whether to try to fix the problem or to feather the engine and go on without it. We were at 6500' so decided to fix it and went through normal engine out procedures to fix it..mixtures, fuel, mags, alternator etc etc. *good tip..the foot that is "dead" slap or punch that leg as a reminder of which engine is dead. What that helped with was when i was pulling the manifold pressure of the dead engine I mentally knew that my right knee was stinging because I slapped it, so i pulled the right manifold pressure..goofy but it worked*

After that one very basic engine out I wanted to shoot my Ramona landings (2) (so i could also sneak that ever important part 135 500hr XC requirement) The landings were great and i found them to be very similiar to a wheel landing in a tailwheel. Fly it right onto the runway, slight nose up while easing back the power. We found the plane will drop like a rock if you let it so dont cut the power off 20 feet above the runway. The landings were pretty good and the only thing I found is that it took a steep almost 35 degree bank in the pattern to keep it in tight because of the speed and that things happen real fast and it wouldnt take long to find myself behind the airplane. After those two it was back to KCRQ to call it a day, we got our usual 4 mile straight in and shot a non hooded ILS into runway 24 trying out the 430 and the LCD HSI, it was real nice.

Taxi'd back for a total of 1.4 in the air towards my rating.

Overall it was an awesome time and i really enjoyed the experience in the twin, I have some time in Arrows and Mooneys so it was not completely foreign to me, but still a different animal and will take a flight or two to get into it. We are not going for the ATP super 8 hour multi checkride just because working full time it would be a bit too stressful and I cant fly that much to keep it fresh so we are shooting for around 15 or so to see how it goes.

My flights are planned for this friday night, Sunday morning, next Tuesday and Wed night and then who knows, whatever works out to be about 3-4 times per week and 6 hours per week. Next flight will be much more intensive and less joyriding.

I will keep this updated but not everyday because I dont think anyone here wants to hear about every minute detail of my training.

The rest will not be this long though, if you actually have read the whole thing to this point, I am surprised!

haha..thanks...

I think you have the wrong visual though...i didn't wind up and give it a popeye "twisker" punch....it was more of a "knowledge tap"

It is funny the stuff a CFI tells you to do sometimes and we put our faith in them, I am an intelligent man but if he told me that before landing on short final it was imperative to open the door and look at the landing gear to confirm I would take his word for it...eh

haha..thanks...

I think you have the wrong visual though...i didn't wind up and give it a popeye "twisker" punch....it was more of a "knowledge tap"

It is funny the stuff a CFI tells you to do sometimes and we put our faith in them, I am an intelligent man but if he told me that before landing on short final it was imperative to open the door and look at the landing gear to confirm I would take his word for it...eh

NOW YOU TELL ME! I just got back on the ground and my leg is still throbbing!!!;)

Sounds cool... I really wish there was a multi-engine airplane in my area for under $300. I kinda get addicted to ratings and it sucks I've sort of run out of ratings to get in my current location.

Sounds like you have a great plan... I've done all my airplane rating while I've been in the service and enjoy not being in debt from it!

ahmen to that chinook,
back in my home state, if you find a school with a twin you will pay around $230.00 or so for it so I am VERY happy with $145/hr.

You cant beat the GI bill and finishing while still in without debt. I like you am a rating addict and after I finish my double I and MEI i will get a glider rating just to say I have it, I want to have to turn my license over to see all of the ratings on it

Update:
Was scheduled tonight for 2 hours from 1700-1900 so i showed up and preflighted and waited for my instructor to land.
By the time it was time for us to go this stupid overcast came out of nowhere that was around 3200 with tops at 5200. We thought about climbing to 6500 to get over it and the extra .2 to find the clear wasnt really an issue for me but it was forcasted to come down and we were more concerned with the .4 extra while the tower vectored us all over for the ILS which I do not need so the flight was cancelled, kind of a bummer, it slows be down a bit but not that bad. I decided to stay and hang out in the plane and "virtually fly" while the hobbs isnt moving and get a feel for the layout of the panel and where everything i needed was and the owner came out and told me that one of his guys was stranded with a flat at an airport .7 away and if we wanted to fly and just do a XC he would give me a free .5 but i reluctantly sad no since at this stage after only 1.4 of multi I really dont need a 1.4 flight of XC in IFR. I like all the time I can get but there is no sense really throwing money away and not making headway in my training, especially since i can pay no less than 50% of my share of the flight It would have ended up being alot more than that. It would have been a $260 dollar flight with a free $70.00 but technically a wasted lesson at this stage in my training. soooo, that pretty much sums up my flight.
oh yea..on the way home from the airport the bases had not come down and it looked as if it was clearing up so we would have been fine but, that is the way it is, if I had flown the tops would have come down to minimums right after wheels up.

Scheduled flights
Sunday 0900-1100
Tuesday 1730-1930
Wednesday 1730-1930
Saturday 0800-1000 & 1130-1330

Update: This flight 1.7 total ME 3.1

Flew today. I arrived to the school at 0800 to preflight the plane and get a little studying done. We did a little groundwork and the MEI made sure that I knew all of the Vspeeds of the plane and that I was familiar with the systems and the performance which I was pretty good on, i studied pretty hard this week on my off time and made some flashcards which really help.

Took off at around 0915 or so and did a short field takeoff, my take on it is that it was pretty easy, no flaps just brakes, full power and go. Rotation was at Vx (71 kts) and the 50' mark came so fast that you almost do not have a ton of time to keep it at 71, by the time the gear was up I was over the obstacle and pitching for Vy (85 kts) We headed out to the practice area and did slow flight, steep turns, and power off and on stalls. Everything went well the only thing I need to work on is memorizing the setup for the stalls because there is a little more involved in the multi coming from the single but nothing that cant be handled with some studying and some more practice. My steep turns were not great but all within PTS, I will need some work on them as well, that little extra speed lets the plane fluctuate a bit more than the single but I felt good on those. Slow flight was no problem, got set up and held it just fine and manuevered well. The stall recoveries are nice because we were really only doing them to the buffet which made it a non event and it was quite subtle. After that we left the practice area for some short field landings. My short field landings are not short so obviously it is back to the drawing board for that. I am overly cautious to pull back on the power because for those that dont know, a twin will drop pretty quick in landing configuration at Vref when you chop the power. I need to work on flying it right down to my point while easing power back and then fully dropping the power simultaneously as i raise the nose. I dont think it is a huge issue because my landings are not poor, just not great. I am not worried though because it has only been 3.1 and like 6 landings total so it will come. One problem I have on landings is that as i am pulling back my last bit of power, even though I am pulling power evenly, there is some uneven thrust between the engines and it is causing the airplane to slightly yaw nose left just before touchdown which would sideload the gears. I am able to apply right rudder in time to get it back straight but I am not sure why it is doing it in the first place. Is this a common occurrence? The airplane is 10 hours shy of the 100 hour and one of the power cables seems a bit more stiff than the other and the mechanic said they would look at it. Anyway that is probably my biggest annoyance because I dont know if it is something I have to constantly compensate for on the flare with rudder or if it is just something I am doing wrong. I can fix the shortfield no problem because I know what needs to be done, but this...I am sure it is just innexperience and will work itself out. That was pretty much the flight, 3 landings and 1.7 in the air and a little ground.

I am flying again on Tues, Wed, and twice on Saturday and the stage check is Wed so it is coming pretty fast. I will try to keep these shorter because they are a little long winded

-shawn

Checkride is scheduled for this coming Saturday the 7th. Any advice on what I can expect for the oral/flight. I searched the checkride threads and couldnt find anything.

Back