Trailblazing New Orleans stunt pilot Franklin Augustus along with local news reporter killed in plane crash

GatorFC

Trailblazing New Orleans stunt pilot Franklin Augustus killed in plane crash with Nancy Parker
12108797_1149637775048117_7394524747936292178_n.jpg

NOLA.com said:
Thirty years ago, Franklin J.P. Augustus described himself as the "world's only black civilian air-show acrobatic pilot."
Augustus, 69, died Friday afternoon in a plane crash near Lakefront Airport, an accident that also took the life of Nancy Parker, a fixture of local television broadcasts for more than two decades.

A well known local reporter was doing a piece on him, and she was also unfortunately killed in the crash.
TV reporter dies in stunt plane crash during filming
WAFB-Anchor-Nancy-Parker-Killed-plane-crash.jpg

Last edited:
Aerobatics at 70? Pass.

It may not be for everyone, but there are guys north of 70, or approaching it and still flying airshows. Sean Tucker, Gene Soucy, Gary Ward (even though he's on a hiatus after surgery).

It may not be for everyone, but there are guys north of 70, or approaching it and still flying airshows. Sean Tucker, Gene Soucy, Gary Ward (even though he's on a hiatus after surgery).
I have no doubt there are people who do it. I’m thinking it wouldn’t be smart.

I have no doubt there are people who do it. I’m thinking it wouldn’t be smart.
It all depends on the individual. I knew a guy who could still walk up and down stairs on his hands and canoe 200 miles of Hudson Bay territory at age 82. And that was 35 years ago. If you want to make a reversion-to-the-mean-harrison-bergeron-like law, then sure. Aviation tends to be one of the last domains to recognize fitness and unfitness on an individual level and allow performance on an individual level. I kinda like that.
Plus...

I've done nor researched any study on this, but intuitively I'd argue that more folks have messed up in airplanes by not knowing how to fly and/or not knowing how to navigate when the magenta line goes away than by dint of "old" age.

In any case, RIP. :(

Edit: "This photo shows Franklin Augustus getting a helping hand from 6th grader Yanna Moore during an event at the Henderson Elementary Soul Food Festival. At the time, Augustus was the only black licensed stunt pilot in the world."

Damn! I want one of those licenses!! If he really had one, he was likely not only the only black licensed stunt pilot, but likely the ONLY licensed stunt pilot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back