Took My First Helicopter Lesson

It "does so much for you" because it is not very stable without those systems. Kind of the trade off in a helicopter when on the one hand you want it to be maneuverable, capable of negative g pushovers; yet still demand an aircraft stable enough to hover over a sling load and fly in IMC (it can't even do the latter without the SAS/FPS operational).

True. And that's seen when turning all that crap off and flying it without it. Its a great bird, but the fact does remain that it makes one lazy as a pilot. Not a hit on the -60 or even the pilot, just a fact of flying the thing.

True. And that's seen when turning all that crap off and flying it without it. Its a great bird, but the fact does remain that it makes one lazy as a pilot. Not a hit on the -60 or even the pilot, just a fact of flying the thing.
Yeah, it is very forgiving. I've had students do things in them that would have left a UH-1 or 67/58 a heap of scrap metal.

Yeah, it is very forgiving. I've had students do things in them that would have left a UH-1 or 67/58 a heap of scrap metal.

Only thing I don't like for what we do with it, primarily rescue in the AF, is it's lack of cabin space as compared to what it replaced, the HH-3. With the -3, there was a standing room and a rear ramp, but the AF didn't want to re-engine those things.

Only thing I don't like for what we do with it, primarily rescue in the AF, is it's lack of cabin space as compared to what it replaced, the HH-3. With the -3, there was a standing room and a rear ramp, but the AF didn't want to re-engine those things.

Same could be said for the Navy in regards to the 60. If it hadn't been for the need to be able to land whatever replaced the Sea King with something that could land on a small boy the Sea Hawk wouldn't have happened.

It's a great tool if you want to have the smallest possible medium helicopter to lift in a rifle squad but still be useful day to day hauling ass and trash. But it sucks for a lot of those specialized roles (CSAR/vertrep/etc) compared to actual medium class helps like Puma/Merlin/S-60 because it just hasn't got the space/power/range/etc.

Same could be said for the Navy in regards to the 60. If it hadn't been for the need to be able to land whatever replaced the Sea King with something that could land on a small boy the Sea Hawk wouldn't have happened.

It's a great tool if you want to have the smallest possible medium helicopter to lift in a rifle squad but still be useful day to day hauling ass and trash. But it sucks for a lot of those specialized roles (CSAR/vertrep/etc) compared to actual medium class helps like Puma/Merlin/S-60 because it just hasn't got the space/power/range/etc.

Actually the -60 is a great CSAR platform, though the Navy variant that was used by their reserve squadrons was not the ideal version. I served in the 160th and we had no issues doing this mission, though it was not our primary one.

The -60 original design, the UTTAS was pure and simple an assault helicopter designed to stand up to the rigors of inserting a combat platoon in a combat environment. At this it is great.
Press it unto other rolls and it can do it, though perhaps not as well as other specially designed airframes.

Anybody in the north texas region willing to/know anyone willing to give an atc a free or discounted first flight? I've always wanted to ride in a helo, but haven't convinced myself to pay upwards of $200 for a discovery flight.

I had my helicopter training before few years and I also love the helicopter training most than fixed wing.

Back