Today Show - Automation Safer, but pilots confused when things go wrong

I don't know if it's automation as much as it is "Accountant Managed" training.

Meanwhile my "Distance Learning" USB drive just crapped the bed and I have to wait 48 hours until someone can get back to me.

Actually, I was shocked to learn that Jeff Rossen is an instrument rated private pilot. For all the hype he stirs up with his aviation reports, I didn't think he was a pilot, just another reporter speculating.

I don't know if it's automation as much as it is "Accountant Managed" training.

Meanwhile my "Distance Learning" USB drive just crapped the bed and I have to wait 48 hours until someone can get back to me.
Accountants....blah. Lord bless them theyre just doing their jobs...I really blame the MBA guys in suits who look at the accountants reports and go "this line item looks too big, what can we do to make it smaller?" without the operational knowledge to understand the consequences.

Accountants....blah. Lord bless them theyre just doing their jobs...I really blame the MBA guys in suits who look at the accountants reports and go "this line item looks too big, what can we do to make it smaller?" without the operational knowledge to understand the consequences.

Far more succinct than I. Fully agree.

Sounds a lot like Congress...

I read somewhere that the average Boeing pilot at the major hand flies about 15 minutes a flight and the Airbus pilot is about half of that...

DH is too lazy to post but designated me to let you know he hand flies the Airbus very often. And he teaches his FO's while doing it, having fun flying safely.

Last edited:
Aren't you supposed to be getting @Derg a sandwich?

Chop chop!!

;)
No that would be his wife! I have my ERA bracelet. :) DH is too busy cleaning up after making dinner. Now he has to make my lunch for tomorrow as I have an early meeting. So, he won't have time to make my lunch tomorrow after he makes breakfast and given that he drives me to the train station. That is, unless someone suddenly calls out sick in the middle of the night!

Last edited:
Hand flying is boring. I like the adventure of automation. Plug in a bunch of little magenta lines. Stare at the little airplane icon following them... You never know where you'll end up or what wonderful sights you'll see. If you're really lucky and pick a good route, sometimes the whole screen starts to turn yellow and red!

Back