Today Show - Automation Safer, but pilots confused when things go wrong

I hand fly every one of my legs too. :) But by the end of a 17 legs, and eight hours of flight time I really wish I had an autopilot. Especially with the way we get our butts kicked out here.

As Apollo 11's Lunar Module descended toward the moon under automatic control, a program alarm in the guidance computer's software nearly caused a mission abort. Neil Armstrong responded by switching off the automatic mode and taking direct control. He stopped monitoring the computer and began flying the spacecraft, relying on skill to land it and earning praise for a triumph of human over machine.

Cowboy. Also: Dangerous.

Cowboy. Also: Dangerous.

Say what you will, but no automated system is perfect and that's how it's supposed to be. Using your automation effectively is part of being a "good" pilot in my opinion. Being overly reliant on your automation is not part of that paradigm in my world. Knowing when to kick off the automation is critical - sometimes that's when it's not functioning properly, other times it's when you need to stay sharp on hand flying. Flying an airplane is like being a cyborg, you provide the organic, creative side of the man-machine interface, the airplane provides the highly analytical side that can do repetitive tasks indefinitely.

Heh. I never did get the hang of the "sarcasm" tag. ;) Agree with everything you said. Seggy and ATN will be along shortly to excoriate us for the greater glory of the computers which will, hilariously enough, replace THEM long before they replace us. And so it goes, our little tragio-comic human performance.

Heh. I never did get the hang of the "sarcasm" tag. ;) Agree with everything you said. Seggy and ATN will be along shortly to excoriate us for the greater glory of the computers which will, hilariously enough, replace THEM long before they replace us. And so it goes, our little tragio-comic human performance.
:sarcasm:

it's that simple. Hey aren't you in the eastern time zone? and aren't you coming to Vegas?

ok back to the discussion at hand.

sometimes the autopilot is functioning correctly and you just need to get your mind around why it's not going where you thought you told it to go....turn the damn thing off and FLY the airplane.

God, I miss having an FMS. Oh, crap, something's wrong? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? Guess we'd better crash, cause I've been staring out the window and catching a few sneaky naps for the last 3 hours!
I bet you were sacrilegious enough to fly a VOR approach in heading mode, or worse yet hand flown, when you didn't want to navigate the FMS to set it up.

Of course I mean on a checkride, because when else would you fly a VOR approach???

I bet you were sacrilegious enough to fly a VOR approach in heading mode, or worse yet hand flown, when you didn't want to navigate the FMS to set it up.

Of course I mean on a checkride, because when else would you fly a VOR approach???

Speak for yourself. I think I did a DME Arc to Quincy, you know. A year or two ago. Crash course on remembering that there's such a thing as an RMI! And I do very distinctly remember turning all the crap off on my first Methods checkride because I'd somehow dicked up the reverse sensing on a backcourse. To which the check airman I have and you should be so lucky as to have responded laconically "Well done, but next time you should try to do it with the automation". God bless him.

The Airbus is not really designed to be hand flown in cruise anyway... Autotrim, autothrottles, flight protections make for a relatively painless experience... Disconnect A/P in cruise and... nothing happens, it just stays there, fat and happy... Some companies require to engage A/P ASAP after gear retraction. There's nothing like buzzing around in a 172 on days off to stay sharp...

The Airbus is not really designed to be hand flown in cruise anyway... Autotrim, autothrottles, flight protections make for a relatively painless experience... Disconnect A/P in cruise and... nothing happens, it just stays there, fat and happy... Some companies require to engage A/P ASAP after gear retraction. There's nothing like buzzing around in a 172 on days off to stay sharp...
Guess we're going to leave the gear down for a long while......

sometimes the autopilot is functioning correctly and you just need to get your mind around why it's not going where you thought you told it to go....turn the damn thing off and FLY the airplane.
I think the couple of turns in that 207 changed you.... forever. :smoke:

But in all seriousness, I find the automation in my airplane lacks smoothness.... I can do it better. Whenever that happens, it comes off.
For example it's amazingly good at holding an altitude for hours on end. Better than me.
It's freaking terrible at capturing any kind of course.(I does it, but it's like a child giving it's impression of driving a car.) I am rather good at that.

EWR-CVG-IAH is my record for hand flying.

In what aircraft? The E-110 only would trim out in pitch. It always wanted to roll left or right after 60 seconds.

I have flown the 727 ONT to LEX without the autopilot but the Bandit was much more challenging than the jet.

In what aircraft? The E-110 only would trim out in pitch. It always wanted to roll left or right after 60 seconds.

I have flown the 727 ONT to LEX without the autopilot but the Bandit was much more challenging than the jet.

The -145. It gets kind of twitchy in the 20's in pitch, but the rest of the aircraft trimmed out pretty well.

Back