To Land or Not to Land, that is the question...

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
The novice pilot's enemy is experience, while the experienced pilot's enemy is complacency.....

13 June 1977
Glendale Municipal Airport (P37)
Peoria, Arizona

Cessna 172M, N1243U
4 Fatal

For those of you that fly out of the PHX area, there's a little-known bit of airport history in the valley amongst all the aviation history to be had here. The newest physically-built municipal airport in the valley is Glendale Municipal Airport, located on 107th Ave and Glendale Road. But prior to the mid-1980s, Glendale Municipal Airport was located on the corner of Grand Ave and Olive Ave in what was then the border of the cities of Glendale and Peoria. I spent many a time around the old Glendale airport, as dad had his C-182 based out there since he'd purchased it new in 1975. Glendale Muni at that time was a single runway 17-35, about 3000' x 75' runway length, 2400' of which was available on RW 17 due to a displaced threshold. Obstruction-wise, on the approach-end of RW 17 was the 4-lane Grand Ave, powerlines, and the parallel Santa Fe railroad, while the approach-end of RW 35 sported powerlines and Olive Ave. 17-35 had a single midfield turnoff, in addition to the runway end turnoffs. I still remember the challenge being able to land and make the midfield turnoff that dad would undertake. All in all, Glendale Municipal airport at that time was a field that you really had to have your proverbial "game-on", since there was little room for error during takeoff and landing.

On the late morning of 13 June 1977, a Cessna 172M, N1243U, departed Prescott, Arizona (KPRC) for the flight to Glendale (P37). Onboard was the pilot, a 35 year old female with a Private ASEL and 326TT and 17 hours in the 172, and two passengers. 1243U was an older 172 with the 150 HP Lycoming and the still-available 40 degree flap setting. Being a rather warm June day, the pilot of 1243U had insured that her 172 was within weight/balance and CG prior to her takeoff from PRC with it's high density altitude potential. Having little trouble departing PRC, she headed for Glendale, and the lower altitudes of the metro PHX valley. Arriving at around 1415L, 1243Us pilot called up Glendale UNICOM reporting 15 miles north and inbound, requesting airport advisories. The airport manager, located at the PrecisionAir FBO, advised her that winds were light and variable, with RW 17 in use, and only one other aircraft in the pattern. At that time, my dad had gotten the annual done on his 182, and was currently in the closed pattern at Glendale, practicing touch and goes, while simultaneously running some hours on the 182s engine. Hearing this, the pilot of 1243U advised that she would be making a straight-in to RW 17 and would advise when she was on 5 mile final.

Approaching 5 mile final, the pilot of 1243U made her final, full-stop radio call, and pressed inbound. Witnesses reported the 172 to appear to be fast and slightly high during the approach. At Glendale, when flying final to RW 17, Grand Ave and the railroad give the optical illusion of their being closer to your glidepath as you get near to them, than they really are; especially when there's a train or large truck passing by as you overfly. Consequently, the tendency for pilots unfamiliar, is to be slightly steep and high. Witnesses reported 1243U appearing this very way, but also slightly fast. As N1243U crossed the threshold for RW 17, the pilot chopped the power and drove down for the flare. But being high and fast to begin with, the 172 floated a good distance before finally touching down just past the midfield taxiway turnoff. Knowing the midfield turnoff I described, as well as the overall runway length, one can deduce that there wasn't much runway remaining. Realizing this too, the pilot of 1243U elected to perform a go-around vice trying to stop on the remaining runway, a prudent decision. She applied full power, rotated, and became airborne. Witnesses reported that the flaps remained at 40 degrees, and the 172 was moving slowly while remaining in ground effect during the go, seemingly unable to begin it's climb just yet. At the same time this was occurring, a cement mixer truck from a local rock company was driving eastbound down Olive Ave. As fate would have it, the Cessna 172 was still in ground effect unable to climb, just as the cement truck crossed the extended centerline of RW 17. The 172 appeared to make an attempt at a nose-up maneuver, but didn't have the performance to complete the maneuver. It impacted the drivers door of the cement truck, instantly killing the truck's driver, as well as the three persons aboard the 172. The now out-of-control cement truck, traveling at an estimated 35 mph, veered off the road and into the parking lot of PrecisionAir, impacting numerous vehicles before rolling over, still with the 172 attached, held in-place where it's engine impacted and penetrated the cab.

Upon investigation of the wreckage and interview with eyewitnesses, it was determined that the pilot of 1243U had executed a high/steep approach and was fast, resulting in the float and late touchdown. It was also discovered in the wreckage that the 172s 40 degree flap setting was still set, as well as the carb heat knob still pulled out; both items being clean-up items for any go around: the carb heat immediately, and the flaps incrementally. Having the carb heat taken care of would've allowed @ 200 more RPM available, and incrementing the flaps from the 40 degree setting to the 30 or 20 degree setting would have maintained the lift necessary for the go-around, while not being a drastic configuration change that would result in the loss of lift. Missing these items, the pilot of 1243U could conceivably have had the performance necessary to climb, and overfly the truck. Interestingly, had the cement truck not been where it was at the time 1243U was passing, 1243U would probably have been able to overfly regular passenger car-sized vehicles, underfly the departure-end powerlines, then have 2 blocks of (at that time) flat cotton field to build more speed and climb performance, while not having any obstructions to have to negotiate. Olive Ave had the standard "Caution: Low Flying Aircraft" signs installed on the shoulder of the road. As the cement truck had made no attempt to slow or stop, it's assumed that the driver didn't notice, or possibly noticed and blew-off, the sign. This will never be truly known. Had the pilot of 1243U not had the cement truck crossing her path, and had she had the SA to see this escape opportunity, and had the cement truck driver seen the warning sign or at least checked left/right due the sign; with all or any combination of these factors, it is believed that she could have pulled off a successful go-around utilizing the cotton-fields. Tragically, that opportunity wasn't available to her due to the cards fate had dealt, following the square-corner she'd backed herself into.

Probable Cause:

*Pilot In Command- Misjudged distance and airspeed
*Pilot In Command- Delayed go-around initiation

Secondary Factors:

*Pilot In Command- Improper operation of powerplant and controls
*Personnel--miscellaneous--Driver of Vehicle

Tertiary Factors:

None

MikeD says:

This accident highlights a number of concepts that need to be garnered from it. Namely, and in this order on purpose:

1. Situational Awareness
2. Not pressing a bad situation
3. Proper checklist/procedure discipline.
4. Proper preflight planning (add-on)
5. Operation of the cement truck / driver actions

Situational Awareness: In this accident, it is reasonable to assume that the pilot of 1243U may have not noticed her high/steep and slightly fast approach due to the optical illusions inherent to this airport. However, from the time she crossed the threshold to the time she actually touched down, there was ample time to gauge that the landing just wasn't going to happen on this pass, and a go-around, while still airborne and with more speed, would be prudent.

Not Pressing a Bad Situation: Tying into the SA concept, not pressing a bad situation into a worse situation is imperative. I deliberately put this concept after SA, since SA is a pre-requisite for being able to have this concept in the first place, and realizing/knowing when it's time to hold 'em and when it's time to fold 'em.

Proper Checklist/Procedure Discipline: Again, I deliberately put these concepts in the order they're in, since they tie-in in a building-block fashion in this accident....you need one in order to progress to the other. As close as the pilot of N1243U was to beginning a climb out from her late go-around decision, it's very possible that had she followed the procedure of closing the carb heat after application of full power, and had she managed her flaps to a more reasonable setting for go around, one that would maintain or slightly increase lift while reducing the drag, she may not have ended up in the square corner she found herself in. At most any other airport, missing these items on a go-around would've been a nuisance at worst, and no real problem at best. At Glendale Muni, the combination of short runway and runway-end obstructions, allowed for little error while properly excuting procedures for takeoff, landing, and go-around. If the proper procedures aren't used, that't just more of a corner that a pilot ends up backing himself into. Learning and maintaining the correct habit patterns for procedures, will help insure that they become rote actions when needed; performed out of reaction to a situation where almost no thought is required. In a word, they must be near to second-nature, if not already. Granted, the pilot of 1243U only had 17 hours in-type, but is reasonable to assume that after 326 TT, basic flying procedures as-such should've been learned already.

Proper Preflight Planning: A factor in many accidents, and possibly one in this accident, yet not proven. The failure in this factor is rarely from over-planning; it's normally the other way around. Preflight planning, at least checking the Airport Facilities Directory or VFR or IFR Supp for any unfamiliar airport you may be flying into, is a must. Familiarizing oneself with airfield layout, obstructions, frequencies, etc is something to be accomplished prior to stepping to the aircraft, not while in the cockpit enroute generally speaking, with the exceptions being unplanned diverts. Again, not saying that this was a primary, secondary, or even tertiary factor in this accident; just another factor for pilots to consider. The pilot of 1243U had reportedly been into Glendale Muni a few times, so some basic familiarity was there.

Operation of the Cement Truck / driver actions

I considered carefully the actions or inactions of the cement truck driver. As a Class A CDL holder myself, I took into account my knowlege of large vehicle operations and regulations. My accounting of the accident in regards to the cement truck driver, was more of a factor of "should the sign posted by the road have reasonably cautioned the driver to at least have SA on what was going on in the area he was approaching?" Granted, those signs are not regulatory, and there is no requirement to slow down/stop as in the case of HAZMAT trucks and passenger buses approaching railroad crossings at all times. Of course, the driver is not at fault in this accident, and his presence there was one of fate versus fault. However, the reason I place him in the "Personnel- miscellaneous- driver of vehicle" as a secondary causal factor is simply due to his presence and the fact the the aircraft hit the truck, which wouldn't have happened had the truck not been there. I can only wonder, that the sign being there in the cautionary nature it was, that had the driver taken the caution and possibly looked towards the runway, there might have been a varied outcome. Again, not his fault, since the pilot is the one that's the primary causal factor of this accident, but again, these are side items that are still tied-into the accident, that must be considered in this accident, where decision whether To Land or Not to Land was a final one.

MikeD

The above is not intended to be an undue criticism of the person or persons involved in the incident described. Instead, the analysis presented is intended to further the cause of flight safety and help to reduce accidents and incidents by educating pilots through the sacrifices of others in our profession.

[ QUOTE ]
Realizing this too, the pilot of 1243U elected to perform a go-around vice trying to stop on the remaining runway, a prudent decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a given standard as to when the go-around should be performed (for example 1/2 rw left, 1/3 left, etc....)? I have had to go around a couple of times when coming in too fast but never really noticed a given distance. For me when the thought has even entered my mind of a go-around, that's the time push in the throttle. In my training it has been pounded into my brain.....Go-Around = Power Up, Pitch Up, Flaps Up.

My .02 worth.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Realizing this too, the pilot of 1243U elected to perform a go-around vice trying to stop on the remaining runway, a prudent decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a given standard as to when the go-around should be performed (for example 1/2 rw left, 1/3 left, etc....)? I have had to go around a couple of times when coming in too fast but never really noticed a given distance. For me when the thought has even entered my mind of a go-around, that's the time push in the throttle. In my training it has been pounded into my brain.....Go-Around = Power Up, Pitch Up, Flaps Up.

My .02 worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, it's a judgement call. In the pilot of 1243Us case, if you could go back to the old Glendale airport and see the distance from the midfield turnoff to the end of either runway, it'd be bigger-than-Dallas obvious, as it was apparently to her; there's only less than 1500' remaining. You've got to weigh what you're seeing in your plane, performance/parameters-wise, and compare that to the runway available, the winds/temp/WX, etc; then base your decision on the known performance of your aircraft in terms of average stopping distance, min-run landing stopping distance, etc. From what I remember back from my PPL training, I was taught that if you don't have your plane on the deck by the 5th stripe (for a normal landing, not a planned long landing, etc), then you're not meant to land, and you should execute a go. Of course, this is in no way regulatory, but was simply a baseline the IP gave me in order to build a habit pattern, and gain experience from. In my current aircraft, if you're not going to touch down inside 2000' from the approach end, you must go around because of the heinously-high landing speed you're already at. For aborts, one measure of performance states that without drag chute, if you're in excess of 155kts at 5000' remaining or less, you must drop the tailhook, assuming you're at a field with arresting gear. Beyond those, there hasn't been anything regulatory; just the aforementioned rules of thumb.

Very good observation MikeD. I've always been an Over-Planner when it comes to flying, and you'll be amazed how many pilots take planning for granted.

I remember failing my multi checkride because I raised the landing gear before the flaps on a power-off stall. Needles to say I was pi$$ed, but learned my lesson. There's a reason for having those procedures...

Exceptions do occour (V1 on jets), but a very good rule of thumb is "if you're on the ground, stay on the ground. If your in the air, stay in the air"

It is far better to run off the end of the runway at 20-30 than try to make a last minute go around and hit some trees at 60-70.

If some thing is wrong with the approach or flare, go around and try again.

This rule saved my but twice when I was flying jumpers. In a rejected take off you have time to make one decision, that's it. After you have decided go/no go, you must stick with it, even if you relize it was the wrong one. I rejected a take off once just before the wheels broke ground and came really close to the ditch at the far end of the runway. But, if I had changed my mind, I would probably hit the roof of the gas station across the street.

USMCmech,
That is a very good piece of advice. Once you make the decision to abort, you really must stick with it. I remember hearing about a small airplane crash involving an airplane owner and a passenger who happened to be a CFI. The pilot elected to do a go around, however at the last minute, he opted to attempt to plant the aircraft on the remaining length of runway instead of continuing with the go-around. He impacted trees at the ffar end of the runway and I think they suffered minor injuries. Unfortunately, humans are fallible and do make judgement mistakes. However, in the tight confines of approach and takeoff, you must stick with your decision. Like you said it is far better to run into some bushes at say 20-30 mph then hitting a powerline or in this instance a truck at takeoff speed or faster.

BTW Mike,
I really like this idea in the forum, I loook forward to many more valuable posts like this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
USMCmech,
That is a very good piece of advice. Once you make the decision to abort, you really must stick with it. I remember hearing about a small airplane crash involving an airplane owner and a passenger who happened to be a CFI. The pilot elected to do a go around, however at the last minute, he opted to attempt to plant the aircraft on the remaining length of runway instead of continuing with the go-around. He impacted trees at the ffar end of the runway and I think they suffered minor injuries. Unfortunately, humans are fallible and do make judgement mistakes. However, in the tight confines of approach and takeoff, you must stick with your decision. Like you said it is far better to run into some bushes at say 20-30 mph then hitting a powerline or in this instance a truck at takeoff speed or faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent discussion, and I agree with all counts. Additionally, some pilots will set "personal" abort minimums that are based on varying factors. For example, in the A-10, our formal no-kidding abort speed was above rotation speed for most runways above 10,000' long and average outside air temps. (ie- not Tucson in the middle of July). So the question for abort(s) became "What's your personal go/no go?" Some guys said that when during rotation or beyond, it was a go from there; others said when they raised the gear handle. So if prior to gear raise and they were just airborne, they planned to re-land and stop on the remaining runway. The biggest caveat was that if it was a no-kidder (active fire, etc) many guys chose to just re-land instead of taking the plane airborne. We also had the luxury of being able to take the departure-end barrier if need be, and if available; or the option to ground eject. Some went with the same philosophy that they'd rather overrun than take a burning plane airborne. Again, it's all a judgement call. With higher temps, or a shorter runway, or no arrestment systems, etc; the personal abort decision option(s) would obviously have to flex to those contingencies. BL is, evaluate the conditions facing you (the cards you're dealt), do the required calculations, pad it with whatever personal minimums you wish, and have your plan set before executing the mission; that way, you'll maximize the amount of time your prepared, and minimize the amount of time you're surprised.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW Mike,
I really like this idea in the forum, I loook forward to many more valuable posts like this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Customer service is the name of the game. If you guys want it, it stays.

Yeah great idea on the forum, keep 'em coming.

On the go arounds it's amazing to me how many people can't do a simple go around properly; there is really only one thing to do: get away from the ground ASAP.

It's typically the weekend warrior once a month types... one guy who was trying to get a bfr made his radio call first, then went full throttle (not carb heat in), pitched the nose waaaay above the horizon and forgot the flaps entirely. I took control before he stalled and my pen got to save some ink that day.

[ QUOTE ]
Customer service is the name of the game. If you guys want it, it stays

[/ QUOTE ]
It's good Mike. This place just gets better and better. Can't wait for the next one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its like driving a car, once you have made your decision to make a left turn make the left turn and you decide to stop on the midpoint you have a good chance of getting hit by the person behind you.(assuming theres a car behind you).

[ QUOTE ]
Its like driving a car, once you have made your decision to make a left turn make the left turn and you decide to stop on the midpoint you have a good chance of getting hit by the person behind you.(assuming theres a car behind you).

[/ QUOTE ]

or a garbage truck . . .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my training it has been pounded into my brain.....Go-Around = Power Up, Pitch Up, Flaps Up.

[/ QUOTE ]

push up (power)
pull up
climb up
clean up
fess up

[ QUOTE ]

This accident highlights a number of concepts that need to be garnered from it. Namely, and in this order on purpose:

1. Situational Awareness

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with these concepts being lessons to be learned from this accident. I would tend to have put no. 3 (Proper checklist/procedure discipline) at the top as far as related to this accident. 1. and 2. are always true with flying, but there will eventually be situations we get ourselves into that require something like the go-around maneuver described. Retracting the flaps from 40 degrees would have kept this accident from happening (and to a lesser extent the 200rpm gained from turning off carb heat).

As far as staying on the runway once you are on it, even if you overrun the end, this is a good point to talk about. Once I get the chance, I will scan in and post my old NASA report regarding this kind of judgment call that stemmed from an inicident at SNA a few years ago with my CFI for commercial training. Stay tuned...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Situational Awareness

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with these concepts being lessons to be learned from this accident. I would tend to have put no. 3 (Proper checklist/procedure discipline) at the top as far as related to this accident. 1. and 2. are always true with flying, but there will eventually be situations we get ourselves into that require something like the go-around maneuver described. Retracting the flaps from 40 degrees would have kept this accident from happening (and to a lesser extent the 200rpm gained from turning off carb heat).

As far as staying on the runway once you are on it, even if you overrun the end, this is a good point to talk about. Once I get the chance, I will scan in and post my old NASA report regarding this kind of judgment call that stemmed from an inicident at SNA a few years ago with my CFI for commercial training. Stay tuned...

[/ QUOTE ]

1 and 2 may be common, but I ranked the causal structure in the sense of what I perceive led to what. 1 led to 2, 2 led to 3, and so on; in an error chain sort of way. She also could've possibly maneuvered towards the tail of the truck, had she seen it coming. SA, reaction time, perception, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

1 and 2 may be common, but I ranked the causal structure in the sense of what I perceive led to what. 1 led to 2, 2 led to 3, and so on; in an error chain sort of way. She also could've possibly maneuvered towards the tail of the truck, had she seen it coming. SA, reaction time, perception, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha... I misunderstood the order structure. BTW, this is a great forum (and also "You're the Captain)... wish they were both more active.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha... I misunderstood the order structure. BTW, this is a great forum (and also "You're the Captain)... wish they were both more active.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got more accident analysis writeups I've written that I'm finalizing. They'll be posted in a couple of weeks for anyone that's interested.

Thanks for the info Mike D. I thought we were going to change the subject of this section though because of the acronym Mike D's ... nevermind.

Mike, first I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on how accidents occured and the steps a pilot can take to break the chain of events that lead to an accident. Highlighting these steps are an important reminder for pilots to recognize the chain and stop it from leading to an accident.

I do take issue though on the comments about a cement truck being on the road and crossing the departure end of an active runway. Before I became a CFI, I drove tractor trailers. Although a cement truck is not as tall as a tractor trailer, they do share the same problem. You can not stop a big truck fast. The fact that there was a sign warning drivers of low flying aircraft does not mean the truck driver was at fault. There is no law that requires a driver to stop, or avoid a plane that happens to fly to low across an active road. Those signs are cautionary in nature, the responsibilty lies on the pilot to avoid traffic on the road.

The pilot failed to execute a go-around properly and struck a cement truck in the cab. The cab on a cement truck is no more than 8 feet high. The truck drivers death was caused by a neglogent pilot, who made some mistakes and cost some poeple thier lives. The highlighted text is the only area I disagree with. The rest I fully agree.

Olive Ave had the standard "Caution: Low Flying Aircraft" signs installed on the shoulder of the road. As the cement truck had made no attempt to slow or stop, it's assumed that the driver didn't notice, or possibly noticed and blew-off, the sign. This will never be truly known. Had the pilot of 1243U not had the cement truck crossing her path, and had she had the SA to see this escape opportunity, and had the cement truck driver seen the warning sign or at least checked left/right due the sign;
*Personnel--miscellaneous--Driver of Vehicle

I considered carefully the actions or inactions of the cement truck driver. As a Class A CDL holder myself, I took into account my knowlege of large vehicle operations and regulations. My accounting of the accident in regards to the cement truck driver, was more of a factor of "should the sign posted by the road have reasonably cautioned the driver to at least have SA on what was going on in the area he was approaching?" Granted, those signs are not regulatory, and there is no requirement to slow down/stop as in the case of HAZMAT trucks and passenger buses approaching railroad crossings at all times. Of course, the driver is not at fault in this accident, and his prescence there was one of fate versus fault. However, the reason I place him in the "Personnel- miscellaneous- driver of vehicle" as a secondary causal factor is simply due to his presence and the fact the the aircraft hit the truck, which wouldn't have happened had the truck not been there. I can only wonder, that the sign being there inthe cautionary nature it was, that had the driver taken the caution and possibly looked towards the runway, there might have been a varied outcome. Again, not his fault, since the pilot is the one that's the primary causal factor of this accident, but again, these are side items that are still tied-into the accident, that must be considered.

I believe I read this one is AOPA magazine. Thanks for putting it in my head again. Such stories will prepare me for flying, so that I may learn from other's mistakes.

Back