The slowly death of General Aviation in the U.S.

Here in hawaii (maui) a 172sp goes for approx $205/hr solo, $250/hr with cfi and a piper seneca goes for a cool $375/hr...

Who wants to do some flight training in hawaii? :/

A basic nav/com radio is up to what, $4000 now? It's a freaking am transceiver, you could build one in your basement, or buy it at an electronics store for like $20.

If you don't know what frequency range a Nav/Comm works on, I'm sure as hell not going to shoot an ILS to minimums with it.

useful.And for that poster above who said "insurance is cheap". Huh? Have you actually gone and looked for insurance on a 'Toga you would like to lease back to a flight school?

I was thinking more of private ownership, not leaseback situation.get a quote on the same airplane for a 500Tt private pilot who flies 100 hours a year and is working on an instrument rating. That guy could insure that airplane for a year more inexpensively than He could insure the car he drives to the airport.

Here in hawaii (maui) a 172sp goes for approx $205/hr solo, $250/hr with cfi and a piper seneca goes for a cool $375/hr...

Who wants to do some flight training in hawaii? :/
If a Seneca goes for that much, I wonder if there is a business opportunity in there...

I was thinking more of private ownership, not leaseback situation.get a quote on the same airplane for a 500Tt private pilot who flies 100 hours a year and is working on an instrument rating. That guy could insure that airplane for a year more inexpensively than He could insure the car he drives to the airport.

I have to disagree with the above. I have 2000+ hrs, 800+ plus ME, ATP and SES Comm. I own a 1975 172M and have never had a chargable accident (2 engine failures with no damage to aircraft).
Insurance on the 172 is over 1200.00 per year with a Million dollars smooth coverage.

Regarding the cost of flying, most comments are on point. The biggest factor is now cost, fuel, parts, compliance with notices that have nothing to do with safety but because manufacturer needs to put some money in the bank so they come out with AW notice to replace some screw that costs 250.00 bucks. I once owned a Cardinal (177B) that needed an electric fuel pump replaced. This was over 15 yrs ago and it cost $400.00 for an electric fuel pump that was the EXACT same electric fuel pump that you would use on a small block Chevy engine (per A&P that installed it).
Same thing with replacing the alternate air valve (you know, the one under the panel) when it failed during an IFR certification. It costs me $700.00 for a "new" valve from Cessna. I took the old one apart and for less than a $1.00 I could have replaced the o-ring in the valve and it would have worked perfectly BUT it would not have been legal had I had an accident and my insurance would have been worthless. I would bet you that was all Cessna did on my "new" valve that they sold to me.

JMHO

Actually you tune a pair of freqs, one about 3X the one you see in the panel, in mhz. In **Cough** AM modulation.

In part:
"ILS-GS enables the pilot to steer up or down correctly during landing. This vertical
correction is performed via two AM carriers with an AM depth of 40 % operating at a
frequency range between 329 MHz and 335 MHz. For the aircraft approach, the upper
tone is modulated at a frequency of 90 Hz by default, and the lower tone at a frequency
of 150 Hz [2]. Vertical axis phased antenna arrays are utilized for beamforming"

http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/file_15494/1MA193_0e.pdf

If you don't know what frequency range a Nav/Comm works on, I'm sure as hell not going to shoot an ILS to minimums with it.

Good thing Itchy saw this before me, he's much nicer than I would be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

So it's a combination of different things. I thought the sport pilot rules was going to help the industry but if you see what they are charging for a LSA this days is insane. In the 60's, 70's and early 80's a common person with a decent job could buy an airplane, now with a Cessna starting at almost $300,000 only for the airplane is unthinkable for the average guy to just think about it...............

Back