The pilot shortage is over?

The economy tanks next year. Regionals back to pre Covid pay and some airlines outside the big three furlough or go bye bye. Then enters AI pibots. The future is bright

If I have to sit through annual 2hr training on how to sexually harass someone those days are over. I got my Sexual Harassment degree the first time, I'm an expert, I printed out a very official looking piece of paper that I sent to the HR dept. If I take this years training do I get a Doctorate? Doesn't anyone understand that this is nonsense? It's a billion dollar business with no return on money spent for the employer. It's why I hate working for big companies, I watched it happen at CLA, it went from a small group of like minded individuals to a more corporate style of business, and they're suffering, no one is having fun anymore and everyone was having fun back in the olden times. You can't tell me I'm wrong because I've witnessed it first hand.
HR Training sucks. No doubt. But…

In the olden times men treated women in the workplace like property, playthings, or children. Sure it was fun… for the misogynistic men of the time. Men actually had to be told to treat women like people. I know, crazy sounding but true. So training was developed and things improved a little bit. Unfortunately, people still have trouble treating people like humans these days thus the training remains.

I would like it very much if humans (mostly male humans if I’m being honest), stopped treating others like objects because like you said, the training really sucks.

I’m going to go ahead and say no, not over by a long shot.

8739e1ab-88cf-40fa-99eb-d351e3ef0f63.jpeg

In the olden times men treated women in the workplace like property, playthings, or children. Sure it was fun… for the misogynistic men of the time. Men actually had to be told to treat women like people. I know, crazy sounding but true. So training was developed and things improved a little bit. Unfortunately, people still have trouble treating people like humans these days thus the training remains.

I would like it very much if humans (mostly male humans if I’m being honest), stopped treating others like objects because like you said, the training really sucks.
I'll agree there are monsters out there but in my experience of working with all kinds of people the bad apples are easily identified and shunned. I knew a girl from my neighborhood in the '80s that became an overnight millionaire when her boss grabbed her ass, he was an aggressive ass and she sued him into bankruptcy. These training sessions aren't about protecting employees, they're about protecting the employer so they don't get sued into oblivion. This is not social progress, it's just another grift. If I'm ever sat in a room and someone leading the conversation tries to tell me I'm racist because I'm white I'll walk out, job be damned. I know that person is reading a well rehearsed script that they're being paid to read. These people don't even believe their own nonsense, its just their job. Race is an industry now and your thoughts or beliefs, no matter what they are wrong. I've been told by black friends that people like Ben Crump and Al Sharpton have done more to damage race relations than they have to improve them, but they're both wealthy. Hmmm.

Still holds true today:

As I said in another post, we’re doing this to ourselves. The collective we, no one in particular.

Still holds true today:

As I said in another post, we’re doing this to ourselves. The collective we, no one in particular.

Barely enough room to do that in a 737 cockpit, referencing the article. Sheesh.

I'll agree there are monsters out there but in my experience of working with all kinds of people the bad apples are easily identified and shunned. I knew a girl from my neighborhood in the '80s that became an overnight millionaire when her boss grabbed her ass, he was an aggressive ass and she sued him into bankruptcy. These training sessions aren't about protecting employees, they're about protecting the employer so they don't get sued into oblivion. This is not social progress, it's just another grift. If I'm ever sat in a room and someone leading the conversation tries to tell me I'm racist because I'm white I'll walk out, job be damned. I know that person is reading a well rehearsed script that they're being paid to read. These people don't even believe their own nonsense, its just their job. Race is an industry now and your thoughts or beliefs, no matter what they are wrong. I've been told by black friends that people like Ben Crump and Al Sharpton have done more to damage race relations than they have to improve them, but they're both wealthy. Hmmm.
I can definitely understand where you’re coming from. I’ve led people like you for decades. In all that time I’ve somewhat figured out how to manage your behavior to adjust to a professional work environment. My failing is I haven’t figured out how to change your perspective.

Even if the corporations are doing it to save their own asses, which they probably are, happily, in the meantime, fewer women are getting harassed at work. Some of us think that’s a good thing.

I'll agree there are monsters out there but in my experience of working with all kinds of people the bad apples are easily identified and shunned. I knew a girl from my neighborhood in the '80s that became an overnight millionaire when her boss grabbed her ass, he was an aggressive ass and she sued him into bankruptcy. These training sessions aren't about protecting employees, they're about protecting the employer so they don't get sued into oblivion. This is not social progress, it's just another grift. If I'm ever sat in a room and someone leading the conversation tries to tell me I'm racist because I'm white I'll walk out, job be damned. I know that person is reading a well rehearsed script that they're being paid to read. These people don't even believe their own nonsense, it’s ou do talk better than you listen. In my opinion.just their job. Race is an industry now and your thoughts or beliefs, no matter what they are wrong. I've been told by black friends that people like Ben Crump and Al Sharpton have done more to damage race relations than they have to improve them, but they're both wealthy. Hmmm.

You do tend to do a better job of talking than you do listening, in my opinion.

Can you reinterview?
If I want to keep paying for hotels and bashing my heart against the process, taking rejection after rejection while people who were driving C-172s twelve months ago start class, yea. Assuming they invite me to do so a third time.

I don't see much point, though. I wouldn't change a single thing I said or did, anything about how I was dressed or how I presented myself. If they don't want me, they clearly don't want me. I talked with the other applicants, and I know the records for some of the folks who got CJOs, and ... man, if they'd rather hire those people than me, I've gotta believe they just don't like my kind.

I can definitely understand where you’re coming from. I’ve led people like you for decades. In all that time I’ve somewhat figured out how to manage your behavior to adjust to a professional work environment. My failing is I haven’t figured out how to change your perspective.

Even if the corporations are doing it to save their own asses, which they probably are, happily, in the meantime, fewer women are getting harassed at work. Some of us think that’s a good thing.
Manage my behavior? Change my perspective? In my last job (management) I shared an office with and worked almost shoulder to shoulder with what some people would assume was a militant lesbian, short hair, tattoos and fit biceps. She was standoffish at first, but once she realized I didn't have any hang ups about her personal life we got along just fine and became friends. She'd share stories about her life and family and I'd reciprocate and we found out we actually have a lot in common. My behavior at work is professional, I'm there to work, if I make friends along the way that's great, but that's not what I'm being paid for.

The fact that NK has stopped hiring should make all of the current new hires run for the hills. I’ve been here over 7 years and loved it but if I was less invested I’d jump ship for sure. Hell even the union emails tell pilots to look for greener pastures in a roundabout way. I personally don’t think things are doom and gloom here but with all of the other great opportunities right now it’s hard to ignore what’s going on.
The situation’s been awful for quite some time.

Back