The pilot shortage is over?

Did you read the article before choosing the thread title?

The first paragraph says that reason isn’t a surplus of pilots, it is weak performance and P&W engine issues.

All the other airlines are still hiring and holding indoc classes. The last sentence even mentions Frontier.

Last edited:
Did you read the article before choosing the thread title?

The first paragraph says that reason isn’t a surplus of pilots, it is weak performance and P&W engine issues.

All the other airlines are still hiring and holding indoc classes.
You expect reading comprehension and common sense analysis from a trump supporting defender of January 6th in lieu of a click bait thread title meant to generate angst? Surely you can’t be serious

Curiously, how about the cargo side? Hiring slowed or slowing, or projected to slow?

I’m not certain. I’ve heard rumors here and there, but nothing concrete.

They did, not sure if it is still the case, but it was a couple months ago. But who knows, sounds like they overhired during COVID and a very unusual and unsustainable demand signal. I personally don't take that as a signal that cargo is in for trouble. I believe UPS has also stopped hiring for the moment, though that could now be old news

Curiously, how about the cargo side? Hiring slowed or slowing, or projected to slow?

Brown hasn't hired for I guess about a year, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, since they just put ~200 senior C/As (and a few F/Os) out to pasture with an expensive early-out. That said, this can change on a dime, and I think they just wanted a bunch of guys who are making "too much" and have five weeks of vacation gone.

You expect reading comprehension and common sense analysis from a trump supporting defender of January 6th in lieu of a click bait thread title meant to generate angst? Surely you can’t be serious
Who’s a trump supporter?

Also, stop calling me Shirley.

Purple pulled the plug months ago didn't they?
They did just like Brown, but apparently they’ve been taking successful candidates from the Purple Runway program and sending them through training. I’m sure they’re not doing it out the kindness of their hearts but I commend them for not screwing someone over who choose that route with FedEx being their #1 choice.

It’s all ironic because I listened to colleagues who would’ve bet money that FedEx was going to furlough and beat their chest about our shop, but we were the ones who paid people to beat feet ASAP (thankfully furloughs are expensive). This doesn’t even include all the slashing the company had been doing in other departments since February. Even after all this we still got folks who believe that anyone who leaves for the pax world will be furloughed, but rocks and glass houses I guess.

The mechanic shortage is going to affect things very soon ...
I’ve been hearing this for years. I guess kind of seeing it too. We let a bunch of mechanics go this year but during peak last year they were run down trying to stuff 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

The tap of available pilots starts getting "interesting" then the feeding frenzy begins. It's basically when DAL/UAL/AMR have some restrictions on the ability to poach from the other carriers and from each other.
Did everyone tacitly agree to stop? Because that’s kind of crappy of itself.

Did everyone tacitly agree to stop? Because that’s kind of crappy of itself.

Oh absolutely not. It’s not like airlines are tracking pilots down in another competitors ground school and forcing them to apply.

Back