The pilot shortage is over?

The mechanic shortage is going to affect things very soon ...
It’s affecting Delta now. All of the cogs and gears are kinda lining up now to create a great operation EXCEPT maintenance. 57,000 years of experience went out the door in 2020, and you can’t get the tacit knowledge back that the operation relied on to make the maintenance operation fast just by increasing head count. It has everybody’s attention here.

You expect reading comprehension and common sense analysis from a trump supporting defender of January 6th in lieu of a click bait thread title meant to generate angst? Surely you can’t be serious

I wasn't going to bring lav worthy subjects into this thread, but we do have this click baity thread title, knowingly repeating the false equivalency between automobiles and firearms, the post "it finally happened" from earlier this week as an attempt to blame ATC for the collision at HOU (A Hawker taking off without a clearance isn't ATC's fault) and then the cherry on top was earlier this year when they repeated the 4chan conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi.

There seems to be a pattern here.

I wasn't going to bring lav worthy subjects into this thread, but we do have this click baity thread title, knowingly repeating the false equivalency between automobiles and firearms, the post "it finally happened" from earlier this week as an attempt to blame ATC for the collision at HOU (A Hawker taking off without a clearance isn't ATC's fault) and then the cherry on top was earlier this year when they repeated the 4chan conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi.

There seems to be a pattern here.
Your assement of my thoughts or intentions about Houston couldn’t be any more incorrect.

The tap of available pilots starts getting "interesting" then the feeding frenzy begins. It's basically when DAL/UAL/AMR have some restrictions on the ability to poach from the other carriers and from each other.

So you think the frenzy hasn’t even started yet? I’m just curious, because it seems the only major with the peak of retirements ahead of us is American. I believe Delta and United have already peaked, granted the numbers remain high on a slight down slope for the next 5-7 years.

So you think the frenzy hasn’t even started yet? I’m just curious, because it seems the only major with the peak of retirements ahead of us is American. I believe Delta and United have already peaked, granted the numbers remain high on a slight down slope for the next 5-7 years.

Well it’s not necessarily driven by retirements. Walk into your Pilot Selection office and say “Juuuuuuuuuune twenty twenty-fourrrrr” and watch them clutch their pearls. :)

Well it’s not necessarily driven by retirements. Walk into your Pilot Selection office and say “Juuuuuuuuuune twenty twenty-fourrrrr” and watch them clutch their pearls. :)

I must be missing something, not sure why next June is significant. But you usually have good insight so I’ll go with it

There will still be some poor 20+ year schlub riding Skywest in to the ground because he gets weekends off and make one fitty a year.

When the cycle does turn, they’ll claim “see, I told ya!” with self righteous fury, even though they would have been hired in 2016, been a captain for 3 years, and will never make that pay back if they live to be 140.

There will still be some poor 20+ year schlub riding Skywest in to the ground because he gets weekends off and make one fitty a year.
I’m sure those exist at almost every regional. But how many are/will be left?

It’ll be interesting for a certain fuzzy faced logo airline with UAL having SFO CA going do junior.

The fact that NK has stopped hiring should make all of the current new hires run for the hills. I’ve been here over 7 years and loved it but if I was less invested I’d jump ship for sure. Hell even the union emails tell pilots to look for greener pastures in a roundabout way. I personally don’t think things are doom and gloom here but with all of the other great opportunities right now it’s hard to ignore what’s going on.

Last edited:
🤣 Do I need to add this to my toolbox?

It’s affecting Delta now. All of the cogs and gears are kinda lining up now to create a great operation EXCEPT maintenance. 57,000 years of experience went out the door in 2020, and you can’t get the tacit knowledge back that the operation relied on to make the maintenance operation fast just by increasing head count. It has everybody’s attention here.
It's across all portions of the aviation industry, there's not only a shortage of A/Ps, there's a lack of experience. An A/P certificate is nothing more than an open door to learn. I'm thinking about just walking away, there's way too many brand new A/Ps that think their signature is worth more than actually getting dirty and fixing something, I recently met a young (like 24) real go getter, he went to some college somewhere and got his cert, and then worked on small GA airplanes for a little bit and went and got his IA. At the point he was hired he'd never actually worked on a jet but he thought he was big man in the hangar. I watched him step on his phallus over and over and thought about trying to reign him in (he's not dumb) but the arrogance and condescion he displayed to the other mechanics on the floor turned me on him. In the olden days he'd have some truth beat into him and perhaps his ears would open and his mouth would close, but those are the olden days. I think I'm done working on planes, it's been over 30 years, there was good and bad times, but current times are more about money than safety, and that is the one thing I can't abide.

The tap of available pilots starts getting "interesting" then the feeding frenzy begins. It's basically when DAL/UAL/AMR have some restrictions on the ability to poach from the other carriers and from each other.

What are these restrictions going to be?

There is something to be said for some good old fashioned wall-to-wall counseling….
If I have to sit through annual 2hr training on how to sexually harass someone those days are over. I got my Sexual Harassment degree the first time, I'm an expert, I printed out a very official looking piece of paper that I sent to the HR dept. If I take this years training do I get a Doctorate? Doesn't anyone understand that this is nonsense? It's a billion dollar business with no return on money spent for the employer. It's why I hate working for big companies, I watched it happen at CLA, it went from a small group of like minded individuals to a more corporate style of business, and they're suffering, no one is having fun anymore and everyone was having fun back in the olden times. You can't tell me I'm wrong because I've witnessed it first hand.

Back