The Next Threat to the Industry

I don't know if that's a fair assessment or not, but we only have 20 e190s vs being the worlds largest airbus operator, so I'm glad the money is in the bus.
Very true. And a large order for 190/195s can be placed with a yes or a no vote.

What makes me vote no is making the percentage gap from group I to group II pay larger than it is in the MTA/MOU. I'm looking at the future, not just this one contract or the next.

Very true. And a large order for 190/195s can be placed with a yes or a no vote.

True, but cost savings associated with training and MX parts commonality between the narrow body airbus fleet trumps any cost savings generated by them by replacing the 319s with 195s.

My point is a second year guy at airways can hold 190 captain at either 120 or 140/hour depending on the jcba. What's the upgrade at jb 4 or 5 years? So second year airways on the 190= 120 or 140 and second year jb= 76. I know what I'd pick

3 years 3 months.

I can't tell you what I would "pick", but it would be nice to have a choice.

I don't know why everyone is so scared of a large group 1 order. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of group 2 and 4 planes on order to offset the parking of the 80s, 76s and older 319/320s.

If they announced a huge group 1 order tomorrow I'd be happy as long as we were taking back regional flying. If they start parking the 200s, 145s and dash 8s replacing them 2 for 1 or whatever with 190s that's a win for us.

Granted the group 1 pay needs to improve but as long as we are shrinking our regional feed and adding jobs at mainline its a good thing.

American isn't going to buy anymore e190s. If anything you can expect them to most likely be parked after the transition is over.
American has 300 airbus airplanes on order why would they take delivery of hundreds of airplanes and then park them to fly newer smaller airplanes?

I don't know why everyone is so scared of a large group 1 order. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of group 2 and 4 planes on order to offset the parking of the 80s, 76s and older 319/320s.

If they announced a huge group 1 order tomorrow I'd be happy as long as we were taking back regional flying. If they start parking the 200s, 145s and dash 8s replacing them 2 for 1 or whatever with 190s that's a win for us.

Granted the group 1 pay needs to improve but as long as we are shrinking our regional feed and adding jobs at mainline its a good thing.
References are available upon request; current E-Jet type rating too. ;)

American Airlines Group said Tuesday that it earned $1.1 billion in the fourth quarter and $4.2 billion for all of 2014, excluding special charges and items, and its top executive said 2015 profits should exceed 2014′s.

Mainline shrinks by -30
Regional grows by +28

In 2015, the Company expects to increase its regional fleet size by 21 CRJ900 aircraft and 29 E175 aircraft. The Company expects to remove and park 21 ERJ140 aircraft and retire 1 Dash 8-100 aircraft.

In 2015, the Company expects to take delivery of 74 mainline aircraft including 7 A319 aircraft, 35 A321 aircraft, 18 737-800 aircraft, 2 777-300ER aircraft, and 12 787-8 aircraft. In addition, the Company expects to retire 104 aircraft, including 9 A320 aircraft, 37 757 aircraft, 6 767-200 aircraft, 9 767-300 aircraft and 43 MD80s by the end of 2015.

We didn't give them 6 more seats. That's why mainline is shrinking. Remember, express feeds mainline, we NEED express. The more of them, the more mainline there will be...

Signed,
Scott

Not sure if serious...

Scott Kirby, President of American Airlines, asked the pilot group to relax scope by 6 seats, and reasoned that mainline would grow because express operations feed mainline. What a joke. Just like the rest of the BS "negotiations".

Scott Kirby, President of American Airlines, asked the pilot group to relax scope by 6 seats, and reasoned that mainline would grow because express operations feed mainline. What a joke. Just like the rest of the BS "negotiations".
Ahh, I would be sarcastic too. Is the BMI thing still happening?

I think that people that did what was required and got their 1500 hours the hard way (CFI, banner towing, etc...) don't want their hard work to be for nothing when the FAA lowers the requirements. At the same time, the regionals are finally at a point where they need to offer better benefits to attract new pilots. Pay will increase out of necessity, and the industry as a whole should improve with a shortage for all pilots.

So yes....I see a problem with them lowering the standards to accommodate a shortage that they created by paying ridiculously low wages and treating employees very poorly. So you agree with the airlines doing this, @Phil Schuyler ?

It's not the airlines that are "lowering the standards." Why would they? Do you think they really wanted a 250 hour wonder kid on the flight deck. Of course they didn't. But, like@wheelsup said, a combination of events created a perfect storm for pilot recruiting.

Your solution is "they gotta raise the pay." It sounds like a nice solution. But airplanes are mostly full, and fares are mostly stagnant. Where's the money for "more pay" gonna come from?

Back