The Next Threat to the Industry

A forum where a great, smart, logical, and rational guy like SteveC is the "bad guy" is a forum that's going down hill.

:rolleyes: Ahhh, yes, how dare I question SteveC. Respect is earned, not given just 'because'.

Okay, that's over-blowing it a bit, it's just two... Not the whole forum.

Yeah, you are over-blowing quite a few things.

Ok, Mr. KCM. :)

#AMARITE @Autothrust Blue?

Well.....

You weren't to happy that FAs are using it...

http://jetcareers.com/forums/threads/welp-i-knew-it-would-happen-kcm-at-risk.177816/

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/jetblue-flight-attendant-admits-smuggling-heroin.192998/

Idiots.

I know it'll get me hate mail, but I don't think any crew member that can go from Pottery Barn to cockpit crew member in three to five weeks needs to be in the KCM program.

But I get raked over the coals because I feel some pilot groups didn't do enough to develop it and I dared called them 'freeloaders'???

Just saying! :)

:rolleyes: Ahhh, yes, how dare I question SteveC. Respect is earned, not given just 'because'...

Actually I agree with this.

Not everyone is going to agree on who deserves respect and I'm ok with that. Some people think I've earned respect and others don't. Same with how I decide who I respect and who I don't.

I'm comfortable with where I'm at in the larger scheme of things, professionally and personally, and I wish the same for everyone else as well.

Cheers!

Well.....

You weren't to happy that FAs are using it...

http://jetcareers.com/forums/threads/welp-i-knew-it-would-happen-kcm-at-risk.177816/

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/jetblue-flight-attendant-admits-smuggling-heroin.192998/

But I get raked over the coals because I feel some pilot groups didn't do enough to develop it and I dared called them 'freeloaders'???

Just saying! :)

I'm not but I didn't typecast myself as "that guy", did I?

Glad to see the search feature is still working, thanks! :)

Actually I agree with this.

Not everyone is going to agree on who deserves respect and I'm ok with that. Some people think I've earned respect and others don't. Same with how I decide who I respect and who I don't.

I'm comfortable with where I'm at in the larger scheme of things, professionally and personally, and I wish the same for everyone else as well.

Cheers!

Oh dang...is that...no...it can't be...well, perhaps it is...

Is that what the high road looks like?

The RAA and other airlines have been lobbying congress to water down or "amend" the ATP rule for a decent amount of time now. This is a problem that is sneaking up on us and should be taken seriously. I fear ALPA and the majority of us will be taken off guard when this horse rears its ugly head.

The Airline Safety Act of 2010, or HR 5900, is law and will not be changed. The requirement of an ATP or R-ATP will not ever go away. However this law provides for the FAA to "give credit toward flight hours" required for an R-ATP certificate. This is what the RAA and airlines want and can be done in many ways; more sims, more ground school, specific training/121 observation, etc. All the lobbyists need to do is get creative and present data as to how safety is not being appreciably increased, how many jobs will be lost when airlines reduce or cut service, how reduced service will economically hurt these small towns when America is in its fastest economic rebound since 1999, etc. (right Obama?). Even by showing something like how there is no appreciable difference between checkride failures/washouts of students with the reduced ATP mins vs. those 1500 is the basis of a sound argument for expanding upon this new strategy of training, and giving hour credit for more "focused" training. The RAA is teaming up with lobbyists and gathering as much of this type of data as they can. Rest assured they will organize and present it intelligently and I submit you will see a change or proposed change in the requirements for an R-ATP within the next 5 years, once the squeeze is really being put on the regionals.

ALPA and the PAC needs to nip this in the bud and stay one step ahead of the RAA. This is our NAI. If you want to see regional airlines thrive, disregard everything above. If you want to see them fail or shrink dramatically, this is something that needs to be dealt with.

http://actnow.takeflighttomorrow.org

I'm not sure what the problem is. You don't want more/better training? You don't want regional airlines to thrive? What's the issue here?

I think that people that did what was required and got their 1500 hours the hard way (CFI, banner towing, etc...) don't want their hard work to be for nothing when the FAA lowers the requirements. At the same time, the regionals are finally at a point where they need to offer better benefits to attract new pilots. Pay will increase out of necessity, and the industry as a whole should improve with a shortage for all pilots.

So yes....I see a problem with them lowering the standards to accommodate a shortage that they created by paying ridiculously low wages and treating employees very poorly. So you agree with the airlines doing this, @Phil Schuyler ?

IMO regional pay has never really been the primary issue. Even when pay was lower, and de facto requirements were higher (I remember applying to Republic in 2005 and no pure CFI's were getting called, almost all were ATP 135 guys), there were no issues with staffing.

There was a time period where guys could bypass the CFI gig by getting a CRJ course, or just getting lucky getting in at 400 hours, but that was a pretty fleeting time in history.

The unions at all properties so far have refused to help and raise first year pay, instead wanting raises for everyone - the senior $100+/hr guys as well.

The bigger issue is the progression from private pilot to CFI to RJ FO to RJ CA to 737 FO went from about 8 years to 15. The regionals have always used the mainline carrot as a way to staff; no one gets into flying professionally to work at a commuter their whole life. This killed off a lot of hope and dreams and places like MAPD (which was an excellent program) and DCA wemt away. At the same time money became a lot harder to come by, interest rates were higher, and flight training costs skyrocketed.

Basically a perfect storm. Yes, regional FO pay is bad but even doubling it probably won't fix the long term issues of a pure shortage of experienced and desirable applicants.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/single-pilot-cockpits-floated-in-nasa-study-1418611930

Not a threat per se, but the paradigm is slowly going in this direction, and the skill-set required by available technology doesn't use the word "pilot" or "aviator" to describe the job...A little over 100 years ago, it took over 150 men to sail a Clipper ship across the Pacific...The last pilot in a 2-man cockpit has likely already been born...

Disagree, at least on the PAX side of things. Cargo I can see happening.

Hackers are so hot right now, hackers.

No one needs some 20 year old moron in his dorm room controlling a 150 passenger jet through the computer he built off of new egg.

Edit: Would the single pilot in a NEO get paid group II rates? What group would the hacker get paid under?

hcaeborev said:
Disagree, at least on the PAX side of things. Cargo I can see happening. Hackers are so hot right now, hackers. No one needs some 20 year old moron in his dorm room controlling a 150 passenger jet through the computer he built off of new egg. Edit: Would the single pilot in a NEO get paid group II rates? What group would the hacker get paid under?
Wasn't that an episode of Criminal Minds this last season??
http://www.enstarz.com/articles/482...ane-crash-inspired-upcoming-episode-video.htm

If our jcba passes my second year pay rate on the 190 is $140. What's a second year guy getting on it at the other 190 operator?

Are you talking CA or FO pay? Because there are no first- or second-year CAs here. Looks like old data shows $150/hr for second year CA. That doesn't factor in the 1/1/2015 raise or 1/1/2016 raise as far as I know.

I'll hit $76.09 FO year 2 in 6 months.

Are you talking CA or FO pay? Because there are no first- or second-year CAs here. Looks like old data shows $150/hr for second year CA. That doesn't factor in the 1/1/2015 raise or 1/1/2016 raise as far as I know.

I'll hit $76.09 FO year 2 in 6 months.
My point is a second year guy at airways can hold 190 captain at either 120 or 140/hour depending on the jcba. What's the upgrade at jb 4 or 5 years? So second year airways on the 190= 120 or 140 and second year jb= 76. I know what I'd pick

I don't know if that's a fair assessment or not, but we only have 20 e190s vs being the worlds largest airbus operator, so I'm glad the money is in the bus.

Back