The new 172's coming in...

How is this going to work? What instructors are going to teach in them, who is going to be flying them? How is it going to work with having the Warriors AND the Cessnas until the whole fleet is replaced?

I hope that dont jack up the price too much. If its around 100 dollars an hour thats cheaper than anywhere to rent a plane like that.

180 HP = higher price

I doubt it will be too much though. Maybe around 10/hr?

They are only getting 25 airplanes? How does that work?

boring paint scheme. looks like stupid decals from wal-mart for "speed swooshes" or something.

Ahh, come on....everyone knows that a logo sticker or decal on any moving vehicle automatically adds about 20 horsepower. haha:D

They will introduce the aircraft based on course. So say 221 is a warrior glass then 222 will be a cessna 172. They will find a way to integrate the aircraft into the fleet slowly. Personally I will miss the all Piper fleet since I trained and mastered them. At least UND chose a aircraft with good history and overall good performance compared to say a Diamond Katana. Some people might remember how those youst to have the props crack in the winter time due to cold weather and how the wings had some crack to due extreme temps. Will miss the warriors but I will wait till the Arrows go up for sale and buy one of those things since a new one will not be made and well the ones at UND are in better shape than most. My .02 cents.

How is this going to work? What instructors are going to teach in them, who is going to be flying them? How is it going to work with having the Warriors AND the Cessnas until the whole fleet is replaced?

The way every other flight school with multiple airplanes does...

There's been two Skylane's flying around for the past few weeks for instructor training. They aren't in the UND colors, but same version I'm sure. I kinda like the skylights though.

My question is how much extra the students will need to pay going from the Warriors into the Cessna's? I'm sure they'll need 3-5 hours of 'practice' learning a new airplane or is UND just going to intergrate that into a normal lesson? With the cost of flying at UND I'm sure even just a few hours extra will hurt the pocket book. Hopefully they have a fair agreement regarding that issue.

Was their any plans on replacing the PA44's? Or just keep those around for awhile?

Anyone know what will be replacing the Arrow for 323? I hear those things are getting pretty old but are well maintained.

I'm glad to see the skylights because when I heard about the 172s my first thought was of students steep-turning into eachother.

I'm glad to see the skylights because when I heard about the 172s my first thought was of students steep-turning into eachother.

I remember back in Aviation Safety, Dana Siewert was telling us that we had an accident involving a Cessna on takeoff and another plane (I think maybe doing a go around?) Anyway the controller told the plane "traffic 12 o'clock high" and the pilot couldn't see the other plane because everyone has a different perception of "high". As he was flying out, he climbed right into the bottom of the other plane and the propeller went through the other pilots thighs and crashed both planes.

If I remember right the occupants in the planes died. He said that every Cessna UND bought after the accident had the skylights included to stop anything like that again.

Hi everyone, a little bit of clearing up. Piper has stopped making the warrior, and hence the switch. We are buying cessnas as fast as possible to get a single fleet as fast as possible. 414 and 415 will be taught, or option to be taught (plan is 100% of students), in the C172. The SR20's will be leaving as well. As for the spring, no set plans at the moment.

There should be a regulation change coming from the FAA that would no longer require single engine complex training, and change it simply to complex training. This would make 323 in the C172 and 325 would be in the PA44, and fill the complex requirement.

So, expect less warriors. I expect the WARR (6 pack) would go first. As everyone seems to be transitioning to glass. I will miss teaching the pure 6 pack, but times change. Around 1940's, IFR flight was brand new and not many really knew we'd have to start flying in weather. Tell someone back then that we'd be flying 200 KIAS through a thunderstorm with 400 people in back. As for us now, navigation and communications are changing to GPS systems, and glass is the best, most complete presentation of that. So for those instructors thinking what next, it's more about ADM and management of the flight than simply reading the guages. It's about flying from A to B and seeing how the aircraft adjusts itself, rather than just focusing on +/- 100ft. So, yes UND is going full glass, but it should be interesting.

Hi everyone, a little bit of clearing up. Piper has stopped making the warrior, and hence the switch. We are buying cessnas as fast as possible to get a single fleet as fast as possible. 414 and 415 will be taught, or option to be taught (plan is 100% of students), in the C172. The SR20's will be leaving as well. As for the spring, no set plans at the moment.

There should be a regulation change coming from the FAA that would no longer require single engine complex training, and change it simply to complex training. This would make 323 in the C172 and 325 would be in the PA44, and fill the complex requirement.

So, expect less warriors. I expect the WARR (6 pack) would go first. As everyone seems to be transitioning to glass. I will miss teaching the pure 6 pack, but times change. Around 1940's, IFR flight was brand new and not many really knew we'd have to start flying in weather. Tell someone back then that we'd be flying 200 KIAS through a thunderstorm with 400 people in back. As for us now, navigation and communications are changing to GPS systems, and glass is the best, most complete presentation of that. So for those instructors thinking what next, it's more about ADM and management of the flight than simply reading the guages. It's about flying from A to B and seeing how the aircraft adjusts itself, rather than just focusing on +/- 100ft. So, yes UND is going full glass, but it should be interesting.

Interesting technique! Most of us try and go around the thunderstorm rather than through it! :D

Interesting technique! Most of us try and go around the thunderstorm rather than through it! :D

It's the new way airlines save fuel by going through T-Storms instead of diverting 200+ miles around it! Maybe the airlines will start charging the passengers a 'nominal' fee if they do have to divert around. You never know these days....

Ok back to the topic.....Are the days of going on long cross countrys and tuning into AM stations via the ADF gone??!! Do the new Cessna's even have an ADF function? It's been awhile since I've been in a cockpit.

Are the days of going on long cross countrys and tuning into AM stations via the ADF gone??!!

did this in one of the arrows on the way to nebraska a weekend or two ago.... some good oldies stations!!

but then again, i thought the aviation laptop was for in-flight-entertainment?

Couple weeks ago while returning form minneapolis in the seminole we were listening to nsync and then few minutes later the backstreet boys came on.:rawk:

I think the adf is going to be option in the G1000.

Out of curiosity, why are the SR20's not going to remain in the fleet plan? Didn't those just come on the property within the last couple years?

Back