The new 172's coming in...

Air China will also be in the 172's. Arrows and Semis will stick around for awhile, as there isn't a viable replacement out there anymore. Plus, we are getting a couple brand new Seminoles this summer, no way we are getting rid of them anytime soon!

Hi everyone, a little bit of clearing up. Piper has stopped making the warrior, and hence the switch. We are buying cessnas as fast as possible to get a single fleet as fast as possible. 414 and 415 will be taught, or option to be taught (plan is 100% of students), in the C172. The SR20's will be leaving as well. As for the spring, no set plans at the moment.

There should be a regulation change coming from the FAA that would no longer require single engine complex training, and change it simply to complex training. This would make 323 in the C172 and 325 would be in the PA44, and fill the complex requirement.

So, expect less warriors. I expect the WARR (6 pack) would go first. As everyone seems to be transitioning to glass. I will miss teaching the pure 6 pack, but times change. Around 1940's, IFR flight was brand new and not many really knew we'd have to start flying in weather. Tell someone back then that we'd be flying 200 KIAS through a thunderstorm with 400 people in back. As for us now, navigation and communications are changing to GPS systems, and glass is the best, most complete presentation of that. So for those instructors thinking what next, it's more about ADM and management of the flight than simply reading the guages. It's about flying from A to B and seeing how the aircraft adjusts itself, rather than just focusing on +/- 100ft. So, yes UND is going full glass, but it should be interesting.

That really true? You have a source?

Warrior- Around $100 hour + fuel surcharges
Arrow $129 an hour + fuel surcharges
seminole- $219 hour + fuel surcharges
Instructor $47

The funny thing is, Ive asked several instructors at the airport how much the planes cost and not one could give me a straight answer. Some people in dispatch still have no clue. I just figured it out through my invoicing.

For the rates of the aircraft, check the dispatch handbook. Its in the back of one of those green binder thingys. They have to provide you that information if asked.

roundout...by a piece you mean a wonderful piece? The 172 is a much better primary trainer in my book. The SP is pretty nice...although I have a fondness for the PA28.

I don't like them. I will say this - it's better for teaching stall entry and recovery since it actually breaks over, unlike the PA28.

I don't like them. I will say this - it's better for teaching stall entry and recovery since it actually breaks over, unlike the PA28.

Yeah, of all the planes I've flown so far the 172 is probably my least favorite....it is the Chevy Cavalier of airplanes....

Warrior- Around $100 hour + fuel surcharges
Arrow $129 an hour + fuel surcharges
seminole- $219 hour + fuel surcharges
Instructor $47

The funny thing is, Ive asked several instructors at the airport how much the planes cost and not one could give me a straight answer. Some people in dispatch still have no clue. I just figured it out through my invoicing.

Geez. I remember when the Warrior was still $70/hr and the instructor was $30.

Geez. I remember when the Warrior was still $70/hr and the instructor was $30.
You're old, bro. :p :D

I think four years ago, the Warrior was at $86/hr + surcharges...?

Alright, the one thing I never understood as a student was how they determine these so-called "fuel surcharges." I always ended up feeling as if it was a dry rate. (I know I'm exaggerating but you get the point.)

You're old, bro. :p :D

I think four years ago, the Warrior was at $86/hr + surcharges...?

Alright, the one thing I never understood as a student was how they determine these so-called "fuel surcharges." I always ended up feeling as if it was a dry rate. (I know I'm exaggerating but you get the point.)

Does anyone know how exactly the surcharge works? I know if the price of gas is above a certain amount then we get charged.. but there must be some sort of ratio or something that UND uses to figure it out. Also, what source does UND use as their official price of gas to calculate the surcharges off of? Anyone?

Does anyone know how exactly the surcharge works? I know if the price of gas is above a certain amount then we get charged.. but there must be some sort of ratio or something that UND uses to figure it out. Also, what source does UND use as their official price of gas to calculate the surcharges off of? Anyone?

There was an explanation in one of the last Takeoff printings of this year. I think they set a base price at the beginning of the year and use that to determine the rental price. Then every month, they look at what they're buying fuel at, take the difference, multiply it by the average gallons/hr, and then multiply that by how long you used the plane.

For example, if they set the base price at $4.20 gal, and for this month, they're buying at $5.40, then the difference is $1.20. I think they said the average fuel used an hour for the Warrior is 7.2, so that makes it $8.64 an hour. If you use it for 1.5 hrs, then your fuel surcharge is $12.96. At least, I think that's the way they said they do it.

Yea, I remember reading that in the takeoff but I think it said they were buying fuel at around 3.60 a gallon and they would pay 2.40 and we pick up the rest. I dont think that applys if you purchase fuel somewhere else at 6 dollars a gallon. Then your paying a whole lot more. When we took the seminole to minneapolis we had a 483 dollar fuel bill just for going down there. Total flight time was 4.7 and I paid 150 dollars extra for fuel.

I know dispatch has an aircraft rates sheet, just ask them for it, plus it has what instructors have to pay for planes too.

And back on topic.......

Two of the new 172's arrived this morning at GFK. The leading edges of the wing are painted dark green as well. From a controllers standpoint it will be a little easier to see against the sky when on final.

Wasn't Cessna going to make a 'next generation' 172 or 182 soon? I remember seeing a picture of it awhile back and thought they looked pretty sharp. I'll have to see what Google can find me.

And back on topic.......

Two of the new 172's arrived this morning at GFK. The leading edges of the wing are painted dark green as well. From a controllers standpoint it will be a little easier to see against the sky when on final.

Wasn't Cessna going to make a 'next generation' 172 or 182 soon? I remember seeing a picture of it awhile back and thought they looked pretty sharp. I'll have to see what Google can find me.

I know last year they flew a composite high wing plane past the airshow, but I'm not sure they have plans to put it into production...especially now that they have acquired columbia.

Back