The new 172's coming in...

Anyone flying these notice more fuel burned form the left tank when the selector is on both? Its happened on all of my flights.

Anyone flying these notice more fuel burned form the left tank when the selector is on both? Its happened on all of my flights.
Yeah, most of them do that until the tank gets to a certain level, then it feeds from the other side. After a while you get used to it. Some are also worse than others-we had a guy taxi a wing into a light pole, that plane does the uneven burn a lot now.

Went down to Fargo and flew Jet Center's G1000 bird last weekend. Have any of you noticed that the turn coordinator on the G1000 is hyper-sensitive? I did all my IFR training in a steam gauge 172 and never noticed this level of sensitivity on the steam gauge instrumentation--I kept the ball in the center and my CFII never complained about my rudder use. Heck, even the Entegra's indicator isn't nearly this touchy. I don't think I've kept the G1000 coordinated for more than a couple minutes unless I'm staring at the darn triangle...

Where is the turn coordinator? Havent needed to look for it yet. Unless your talking about the slip/skid indicator(inclinometer)

......wouldnt that be the same thing?

180px-Turn_indicator_coordinated_turn.png

Not to turn this into a turn coordinator thread up I believe that this picture is a turn coordinator showing rate of turn then you have the "ball" or the inclinometer showing quality of turn.

In the glass as you may know they are seperate... at least in the avidyne.

After switching from a 172 to the PA28 I would much rather fly the PA28. That's my opinion though.

180px-Turn_indicator_coordinated_turn.png

Not to turn this into a turn coordinator thread up I believe that this picture is a turn coordinator showing rate of turn then you have the "ball" or the inclinometer showing quality of turn.

In the glass as you may know they are seperate... at least in the avidyne.

ok ok well, i believe the "turn coordinator" is the entire instrument, as it coordinates rate of turn and slip/skid. the "inclinometer" is a subpart of the total instrument, which may also be its own instrument if mounted seperately. anyway, thats how i see it. otherwise its just a rate of turn indicator mounted next to an inclinometer ;-)

however, my instrument generally looks more like this

SeatCushionsBelts.jpg

The G1000's slip/skid indicator doesn't seem to be as responsive as a normal ball. It's very touchy, sure, but I think it lags from your actual coordination. I rather use the seat, in all honesty.

anyone flying the 172 w/ an ANR headset? the freaking 172s are the only airplane my set won't work properly in! when the push to talk is pressed, it blows out one ear and no sound out of the other. i already sent it back to Telex once, and it isn't fixed :( no issues in any of the pipers, or any other planes i have ever flown, just the 172s

anyone flying the 172 w/ an ANR headset? the freaking 172s are the only airplane my set won't work properly in! when the push to talk is pressed, it blows out one ear and no sound out of the other. i already sent it back to Telex once, and it isn't fixed :( no issues in any of the pipers, or any other planes i have ever flown, just the 172s
Hmm.....weird. I'm using my Lightspeed headset. I don't have any issue with them at all...

I'm flying a 172S right now, and I don't have any trouble with mine. But my instructor has a DC X11, and it's so quiet that he sometimes can't hear ATC. Try doing crew isolate on the comm panel. That might help.

Does it work correctly when you turn off the ANR?

But my instructor has a DC X11, and it's so quiet that he sometimes can't hear ATC. Try doing crew isolate on the comm panel. That might help.

Yeah, some headsets just don't seem to work well with the G1000 audio panel. The problem is often exacerbated by the fact that a lot of students (and probably some CFIs) don't know how to correctly use the multiple knobs and modes for volume and squelch control in there. I don't know how many times I've had to turn down the students squelch so I don't have to listen to them breathe.

Im using a bose and dont have any problems although when I first pushed to talk with the G1000 I noticed I sound like a small boy and quickly released the button to clear my throat to no avail.

I'm flying a 172S right now, and I don't have any trouble with mine. But my instructor has a DC X11, and it's so quiet that he sometimes can't hear ATC. Try doing crew isolate on the comm panel. That might help.

Does it work correctly when you turn off the ANR?
works fine with the ANR turned off. so i think it is a headset problem. i will have to try the crew isolate next time i fly it on monday to see if that helps. or it goes back to Telex again. the thing that bothers me the most is i have ZERO problems in anything that doesn't have a G1000.

i am tempted to Ebay it for a little loss, and buy a Zulu. only problem with that is the Zulu doesn't work as well.

works fine with the ANR turned off. so i think it is a headset problem. i will have to try the crew isolate next time i fly it on monday to see if that helps. or it goes back to Telex again. the thing that bothers me the most is i have ZERO problems in anything that doesn't have a G1000.

i am tempted to Ebay it for a little loss, and buy a Zulu. only problem with that is the Zulu doesn't work as well.

That's strange. I guess it could be a headset problem. Whenever I plug mine into a f/w to r/w converter, and then into the comm panel on the helicopter, I can't use the ANR because when I turn it on there's way too much static. I thing some headsets just don't work well with some comm systems.

Back