The Moon is a harsh mistress…

Thank goodness.

I'm 100% in favor of space exploration. Space exploitation, on the other hand ... not so much.

There absolutely must be severe constraints to commercial behavior in space before we have giant LED billboards in space or "BUY BITCOIN" sprayed across the lunar surface.

Thank goodness.

I'm 100% in favor of space exploration. Space exploitation, on the other hand ... not so much.

There absolutely must be severe constraints to commercial behavior in space before we have giant LED billboards in space or "BUY BITCOIN" sprayed across the lunar surface.
I love where your heart is but there won’t be any serious exploration without some exploitation. We ain’t spending money to go to space unless there is money in space

I love where your heart is but there won’t be any serious exploration without some exploitation. We ain’t spending money to go to space unless there is money in space
That's why we need to burn this civilization to the ground. The scientific community would absolutely explore space, and do so internationally, if money wasn't a factor. It's something that people would band together to contribute the resources to build. Instead of working our tails off to make a handful of people obscenely rich, and a moderately large collection of "landed gentry" immodestly rich, we could contribute to fixing the problems we've created and exploring the universe as a species.

We individuals are going to have to clean up afterward everything collapses, anyway. Why wait until after the heart attack to start exercising?

The concept that everything has to be fully monetized to exist is a relatively modern hallucination based on the religion of hypercapitalism.

Seriously.

But anyone who fills the night sky with ads to make money should face guillotine.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.

You just know they're gonna be ads for PG&E... my current pick for the most infuriating advertising campaign in history.

That's why we need to burn this civilization to the ground. The scientific community would absolutely explore space, and do so internationally, if money wasn't a factor. It's something that people would band together to contribute the resources to build. Instead of working our tails off to make a handful of people obscenely rich, and a moderately large collection of "landed gentry" immodestly rich, we could contribute to fixing the problems we've created and exploring the universe as a species.

We individuals are going to have to clean up afterward everything collapses, anyway. Why wait until after the heart attack to start exercising?

The concept that everything has to be fully monetized to exist is a relatively modern hallucination based on the religion of hypercapitalism.

Seriously.

But anyone who fills the night sky with ads to make money should face guillotine.

Yeah I can’t disagree with any of that. Unfortunately the civilization we have is the one we have… and probably will for a long time. Does that suck? Sure, but as Confucius says “when in the soup, enjoy the flavor”.

Seriously.

I disagree, we don't need to obliterate current civilization because it offends your sensibilities, that's pretty narcissistic. The only thing that might sculpt society into your utopia is you. But there's lots of yous and none of them will admit they don't have the answer while simultaneously saying everyone is doing everything wrong. As highly as we think of our species we're no better than any other primate when it comes to tribalism, territory and cruelty. We're monkeys with guns and we know how to use them effectively. Perhaps you're more evolved, or maybe you just think you are and that leads back to self delusion and narcissism.

Yeah I can’t disagree with any of that. Unfortunately the civilization we have is the one we have… and probably will for a long time. Does that suck? Sure, but as Confucius says “when in the soup, enjoy the flavor”.
The civilization is made of US. If we fight, we could change it.

Or we can just try to take what we can get and screw the rest.

It's a choice, as I see it—ideology versus pragmatism.

You can have a bit of both, and I ride the line—I enjoy my life, as it is, but I fight for change within the system where I can, mostly aiming to try to show people what they're enabling.

But everyone has their own path.

I disagree, we don't need to obliterate current civilization because it offends your sensibilities, that's pretty narcissistic. The only thing that might sculpt society into your utopia is you. But there's lots of yous and none of them will admit they don't have the answer while simultaneously saying everyone is doing everything wrong. As highly as we think of our species we're no better than any other primate when it comes to tribalism, territory and cruelty. We're monkeys with guns and we know how to use them effectively. Perhaps you're more evolved, or maybe you just think you are and that leads back to self delusion and narcissism.

Can you give me some insight into your process in choosing which threads to fart up?

Ya gotta burn some trees to move up the tech tree.

Have you seen a Jardiance commercial?

I dunno what that is but people here who have PG&E have no option to leave, people who don't have PG&E can't suddenly sign up for it so what are they spending these likely millions in advertising budget for?

Making us feel better about being screwed by PG&E.

I'd say burn the place down but they're better at it than I am.

I dunno what that is but people here who have PG&E have no option to leave, people who don't have PG&E can't suddenly sign up for it so what are they spending these likely millions in advertising budget for?

Making us feel better about being screwed by PG&E.

I'd say burn the place down but they're better at it than I am.

I know it was gallows humor but I did LOL.

Seriously.

I can hear the first couple of words of the USSR's national anthem playing.

If only the Soviet space program hadn’t been more duct tape and baling wire than NASA we could’ve had the FAM timeline 😢

Since Boeing is a part of ULA I was pleasantly surprised Vulcan even cleared the pad. Even burned some international data to live stream the launch, fun to see.

While I'm ever the optimist, part of me sees Artemis slipping one more time but certainly hope not. Sure would be fun if we'd fund science more than wars.

Back