The Mega Outage

I was in Mecca on Friday when the poop hit the fan...did a turn down to FL, on the way back got to hold for 30 mins and then wait 1hr for gate...FA's for next leg were delayed, flight was delayed till well past midnight. Called off fatigued, and ended up getting hotel for FO and myself, plus transport to/from the only hotel in Mecca with open rooms.

As a fun bonus, had some jackass Corp pilot with a fancy Gulfstream Flight Safety tag on his backpack say in the hotel lobby "OH, F'in DL pilots...go fly a F'in plane". Hotel person came up and told him to apologise or get removed from the hotel.

Fun times, fun times

It just seems like the fundamental issue was once again the collapse of the crew tracking software.... The same main issue as last time. How was there not a contingency plan of any sort again. The operation is always going to one weird glitch away from blowing up if that can't be solved.

It just seems like the fundamental issue was once again the collapse of the crew tracking software....

That, and the fact that they turned off their phones so no one could reach them. I'm sure that helped the recovery along.

Let’s say there’s a new system and an old system. The new system is fairly well-integrated within itself, and the old system was almost all ready for ‘prime time’ and to continue the integration process and then *boom*.

Some of the systems are like a “Rube Golderg Device” for safety. Where you won’t get a flight plan when certain maintenance functions haven’t been accomplished. You can’t produce final numbers because the flight isn’t closed out. You can’t close out a flight until boarding has ceased and you’ve checked in a flight crew. But there IS a flight crew here, but we can’t get them checked in because the old computer system Flight Operations remains on isn’t fully integrated yet because of the complexities of it.

Notice I didn’t say “advanced” just more complexities that were built into, around and on-top of systems that have been around for years, some from the ‘we’re about people, not computers’ days of yore’.

Not making excuses, not providing any answers, not saying that’s what exactly happened but from what I’ve seen of the ‘newer’ system and what the pilot group, at large, is still using, well, we’ll see.

I was in Mecca on Friday when the poop hit the fan...did a turn down to FL, on the way back got to hold for 30 mins and then wait 1hr for gate...FA's for next leg were delayed, flight was delayed till well past midnight. Called off fatigued, and ended up getting hotel for FO and myself, plus transport to/from the only hotel in Mecca with open rooms.

As a fun bonus, had some jackass Corp pilot with a fancy Gulfstream Flight Safety tag on his backpack say in the hotel lobby "OH, F'in DL pilots...go fly a F'in plane". Hotel person came up and told him to apologise or get removed from the hotel.

Fun times, fun times

Corpies gonna Corp

Let’s say there’s a new system and an old system. The new system is fairly well-integrated within itself, and the old system was almost all ready for ‘prime time’ and to continue the integration process and then *boom*.

Some of the systems are like a “Rube Golderg Device” for safety. Where you won’t get a flight plan when certain maintenance functions haven’t been accomplished. You can’t produce final numbers because the flight isn’t closed out. You can’t close out a flight until boarding has ceased and you’ve checked in a flight crew. But there IS a flight crew here, but we can’t get them checked in because the old computer system Flight Operations remains on isn’t fully integrated yet because of the complexities of it.

Notice I didn’t say “advanced” just more complexities that were built into, around and on-top of systems that have been around for years, some from the ‘we’re about people, not computers’ days of yore’.

Not making excuses, not providing any answers, not saying that’s what exactly happened but from what I’ve seen of the ‘newer’ system and what the pilot group, at large, is still using, well, we’ll see.

Is payload optimization affected? I hope that isn’t a thing this week.

I wanna hear some stories of guys making a bag of cash from days rolling and premium pay.

Different crisis and airline, but during the end times we were getting 175% pay to go to China or anywhere else with active COVID restrictions. It wasn’t uncommon to have 22 hour duty days and THEN there was a few times where because of snow and limited parking in ANC we had crews land in ANC after said long ass duty day only to wait 12-18 hours in a taxi way for parking.

Miserable to wait that long, but I’d do some awful things for over $500/hr

Different crisis and airline, but during the end times we were getting 175% pay to go to China or anywhere else with active COVID restrictions. It wasn’t uncommon to have 22 hour duty days and THEN there was a few times where because of snow and limited parking in ANC we had crews land in ANC after said long ass duty day only to wait 12-18 hours in a taxi way for parking.

Miserable to wait that long, but I’d do some awful things for over $500/hr

we all have a price..... :bounce:

Fun times, fun times

Sounds like you met a PJP Pro subscriber.

So we’re all agreed, we’re going to set CrowdStrike on fire and then throw them in the ocean.

Back