The Mega Outage

Watched a SWA flight Sunday go from 110 open to oversold 4 hours before departure,over 20 nonrevs (about 15 of them employees) luckily WX caused the flight on my metal to be delayed later than the SWA flight so I just ended up taking that and spent a little more time at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a mess out there. They scheduled my line check this month as a day turn in the middle of a long block of reserve days and dropped it on my schedule weeks ago. I want to help but that severely limits my ability to be assigned anything useful or pick it up on premium. I had a greenslip in for the last few days for what was possible within the legalities of how they scheduled me but the phone just never rang. At this point it's so off the rails that finding pilots willing to fly isn't the limiting factor, since everything else is messed up. I'm watching my LCP's and FO's trip and it's slowly starting to fall apart which means the line check might not even happen. As frustrating as it is, after hearing the stories from my friends and classmates that have been on the road the past few days, I'm kind of glad to be sitting this one out and watching it from the sidelines.

It's a mess out there. They scheduled my line check this month as a day turn in the middle of a long block of reserve days and dropped it on my schedule weeks ago. I want to help but that severely limits my ability to be assigned anything useful or pick it up on premium. I had a greenslip in for the last few days for what was possible within the legalities of how they scheduled me but the phone just never rang. At this point it's so off the rails that finding pilots willing to fly isn't the limiting factor, since everything else is messed up. I'm watching my LCP's and FO's trip and it's slowly starting to fall apart which means the line check might not even happen. As frustrating as it is, after hearing the stories from my friends and classmates that have been on the road the past few days, I'm kind of glad to be sitting this one out and watching it from the sidelines.
That’s rough. Yeah, like you said it’s always nice to be on the sideline when *airline of the month* has their yearly meltdown.

Reddits pretty crazy with the stories tho. That 10 hour on hold with crew scheduling picture 😱

Cancelled DAL flights
Friday: 1207 (32%)
Saturday: 1208 (35%)
Sunday: 1358 (36%)
Monday (so far): 650 (17%)

Anybody know what the biggest difference was that made this such a meltdown for Delta and noone else? Was it just one different program or just a compete failure of recovery? My wife is a Delta FA and wants to help but it's a little difficult to want to jump into the fray without knowing what the hell will happen.

IMG_0329.jpeg

That’s rough. Yeah, like you said it’s always nice to be on the sideline when *airline of the month* has their yearly meltdown.

Reddits pretty crazy with the stories tho. That 10 hour on hold with crew scheduling picture 😱

Cancelled DAL flights
Friday: 1207 (32%)
Saturday: 1208 (35%)
Sunday: 1358 (36%)
Monday (so far): 650 (17%)
According to flight away they have already canceled 200 for Tuesday as of 11pm on Monday.

***Shows up to OAK at 0253 to be bag room supervisor for 17 hours***

"HEY WHITE BOY, GRAB A CART AND TAKE ALL THESE DAMN BAGS TO THE BAGGAGE OFFICE. THEY'LL FILTER OUT THE FEW ACTUALLY GOING ON A FLIGHT TODAY FROM THERE. WE AIN'T OPERATIN NO SOCAL FLIGHTS ALL WEEK ON MY MAMA".

Didn't stop peak hours of 2,000+ bags being dropped off to the bag room tho.

Another gem from that day: "Aye supervisor I think them live fish ain't alive no mo because there was an avalanche of LAX bags".

Last edited:
***Shows up to OAK at 0253 to be bag room supervisor for 17 hours***

"HEY WHITE BOY, GRAB A CART AND TAKE ALL THESE DAMN BAGS TO THE BAGGAGE OFFICE. THEY'LL FILTER OUT THE FEW ACTUALLY GOING ON A FLIGHT TODAY FROM THERE. WE AIN'T OPERATIN NO SOCAL FLIGHTS ALL WEEK ON MY MAMA".

Didn't stop peak hours of 2,000+ bags being dropped off to the bag room tho.

Another gem from that day: "Aye supervisor I think them live fish ain't alive no mo because there was an avalanche of LAX bags".
I was in ORD on the 23 and 24th, there was a time I thought we would get knifed and tossed into the lake to swim with the fishes.

The only reason I got home was calling the dispatcher for the flight that missing an FO to my crew base and having him tell scheduling that I was there and going to fly it. An hour later they sent out a memo to dispatch to not walk over and talk to the schedulers in the NOC.

I have nothing but the upmost sympathy for my brethren enduring this nightmare. It is awful watching the chaos unfold around you and being powerless to do anything to make it better for anyone or even yourself.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon for you all.

Well, wish me luck, I'm headed into the fire today for a 4-day. First time back on the road since this started and have no idea what to expect, hopefully it won't feel like being fed to the lions.

Well, wish me luck, I'm headed into the fire today for a 4-day. First time back on the road since this started and have no idea what to expect, hopefully it won't feel like being fed to the lions.
Same. 1 day off and back into it. I’m off to Berlin tomorrow so I really hope my trip doesn’t go south. But my day didn’t start out great when my first commute cancelled then the second one the gate agent asked me if I could fly it…

Yeah, but fortune favoring the prepared, or something, And stuff

Hoping I could make a little money off the chaos, ngl

I’d gladly give you all the RRPY and extra EDP pay and the PAY & CREDIT I just made if you can go back in time and tell me to call out sick for the trip I just finished before it started and not have to endure that nightmare.

Hell, if you could make that happen I’d give you my entire month’s pay!

I’d gladly give you all the RRPY and extra EDP pay and the PAY & CREDIT I just made if you can go back in time and tell me to call out sick for the trip I just finished before it started and not have to endure that nightmare.

Hell, if you could make that happen I’d give you my entire month’s pay!
That bad?

I feel like a good story is to be told here.

Back