The Mega Outage

Over here at WN we are finally reaping the benefits of our non integrated Windows 95 systems.

You have to love the modern media, Yahoo picked this up from Digital Trends which is reporting one someone's random tweet and a whole bunch of old reporting. I think it is hilarious and sadly pretty close to the real truth but it is still ridiculous.

No, it will just be over in general. Move fast break things is idiotic, CI/CR/CD is stupid, this is illustrating a fundamental weakness in "cloud" + "budget", people shouldn't be using Microsoft in production, people inherently don't understand security, and hallucination is a fundamental limitation of current generative AI (and people are unwilling to wait for maturity). I could go on for a really long time.
Uh what? This reads more like a Trump tweet than an intelligent response by an adult.

Nobody “moves fast and breaks things” since FB said that over a decade ago.

CI/CD is proven to be more effective. Let’s not go to the days of 6 month large software releases.

Cloud? Cloud has helped many companies do things that they would have never been able to accomplish. You can’t run your data center better than a cloud provider. Airlines don’t build airplanes, they fly them.

Crowdstrike is a top-tier soliton. These things happen. They will learn and put things in place to prevent this from happening in the future. Maybe if people took security seriously we wouldn’t be in this mess. Stop your older buddies from clicking malicious links and falling for romance phishing emails. Microsoft is also to blame for getting into this mess with their crap OS.

Guess who wasn’t affected? The airplane with crappy technology who just had a complete meltdown not too long ago.

Over here at WN we are finally reaping the benefits of our non integrated Windows 95 systems.

GD Toasters have control of the other ships!

Attachments

• Saul_Tigh.jpg
    Saul_Tigh.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 16
Uh what? This reads more like a Trump tweet than an intelligent response by an adult.

Nobody “moves fast and breaks things” since FB said that over a decade ago.

CI/CD is proven to be more effective. Let’s not go to the days of 6 month large software releases.

Cloud? Cloud has helped many companies do things that they would have never been able to accomplish. You can’t run your data center better than a cloud provider. Airlines don’t build airplanes, they fly them.

Crowdstrike is a top-tier soliton. These things happen. They will learn and put things in place to prevent this from happening in the future. Maybe if people took security seriously we wouldn’t be in this mess. Stop your older buddies from clicking malicious links and falling for romance phishing emails. Microsoft is also to blame for getting into this mess with their crap OS.

Guess who wasn’t affected? The airplane with crappy technology who just had a complete meltdown not too long ago.

She didn’t say cloud was bad. She said cloud + budget was.

Your post is oddly defensive.

This is literally my area of expertise.
Nobody “moves fast and breaks things” since FB said that over a decade ago

Factually very incorrect. In point of fact, there has been a massive consolidation of infrastructure expertise and devs deploying straight to production. There has been a massive reduction in building QA, testing and staging environments, and a dramatic reduction in associated staffing.

Production systems administrators have all but been run out of the industry because they're not sexy and they say "no" to new shinies in the name of stability.

See below:

CI/CD is proven to be more effective.

For what?

Let’s not go to the days of 6 month large software releases.

Why not?

I'm a cloud systems architect with more than 30 years of systems, security, scalability and reliability expertise. Former projects include building a cloud backend for the release of a mobile operating system called WebOS that was launched for millions of users on the Palm Pre platform, scaling and automating said platform to create "Cloud 2.0," an enterprise-level PaaS/SaaS/IaaS modular compute cloud for Hewlett Packard. See also: principal systems architect for the nation's first large scale DSL ISP with customer-installed CPE, Microsoft WebTV, Oracle, eBay/Paypal, and so many more. Currently my side gig involves doing multi-cloud architecture for several clients, including DR, gitops, kubernetes, and so on.

I'm not anti-cloud.

Crowdstrike is a top-tier soliton. These things happen. They will learn and put things in place to prevent this from happening in the future.

Putting duct tape over holes is not fixing a problem. There are major systemic issues that need to be addressed. I expect at some point in the next 3-5 years there will be a multi-cloud outage that significantly impacts the world economy.

Maybe if people took security seriously we wouldn’t be in this mess.

This is not a security issue*, but I agree.

Stop your older buddies from clicking malicious links and falling for romance phishing emails.

... ?

Microsoft is also to blame for getting into this mess with their crap OS.

Completely agree that this is a contributing factor.

All of the secondary and tertiary effects at play here are avoidable, unforced errors on the part of the companies that use these services.

This stuff is hard, but when expertise is ignored in favor of the bottom line, this is the natural consequence.

This is literally my area of expertise.

Factually very incorrect. In point of fact, there has been a massive consolidation of infrastructure expertise and devs deploying straight to production. There has been a massive reduction in building QA, testing and staging environments, and a dramatic reduction in associated staffing.

Production systems administrators have all but been run out of the industry because they're not sexy and they say "no" to new shinies in the name of stability.

See below:

For what?

Why not?

I'm a cloud systems architect with more than 30 years of systems, security, scalability and reliability expertise. Former projects include building a cloud backend for the release of a mobile operating system called WebOS that was launched for millions of users on the Palm Pre platform, scaling and automating said platform to create "Cloud 2.0," an enterprise-level PaaS/SaaS/IaaS modular compute cloud for Hewlett Packard. See also: principal systems architect for the nation's first large scale DSL ISP with customer-installed CPE, Microsoft WebTV, Oracle, eBay/Paypal, and so many more. Currently my side gig involves doing multi-cloud architecture for several clients, including DR, gitops, kubernetes, and so on.

I'm not anti-cloud.

Putting duct tape over holes is not fixing a problem. There are major systemic issues that need to be addressed. I expect at some point in the next 3-5 years there will be a multi-cloud outage that significantly impacts the world economy.

This is not a security issue*, but I agree.

... ?

Completely agree that this is a contributing factor.

All of the secondary and tertiary effects at play here are avoidable, unforced errors on the part of the companies that use these services.

This stuff is hard, but when expertise is ignored in favor of the bottom line, this is the natural consequence.
I STG I’ve heard this same story recently….in like every industry….

I agree. I was recently a software developer for cybersecurity products, primarily audit and compliance tools. We only worked with mainframe z/OS systems so it wasn't the most exciting stuff but a majority of transaction-based organizations still depend on mainframes ( big banks, insurance, healthcare, retail, government ) and the occasional hybrid systems. Some of our mega-customers had been entertaining the option of getting off the mainframe for years but it is by far still the safest and most secure when it comes to data security. AT&T was one of the companies hell bent on getting off the mainframe completely and it hasn't worked out too well for them at all. The idea of using AI for mainframe security tasks was an insane thought but IBM did it and so far it's been beneficial. I think the larger companies are too focused on an outside threat and not so much about a massive insider screw up. Most outside data breaches happen because of someone from the inside not doing their job properly, like patch management.
The backbone of AA is DECS, a Soviet era mainframe system.

Back