The Mega Outage

Over here at WN we are finally reaping the benefits of our non integrated Windows 95 systems.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 38
Believe we are up and running as well. B6

I believe that people trying to book on you guys crashed their system. I've trying to book a trip I have on Monday for quite a while and just finally managed to get it done.

It was caused by a 3rd party cyber security firm (CrowdStrike) who forgot to properly test their patches before deploying an update to a Microsoft system. That is one expensive screw up. LAS is ground-stopped also but it seems SWA might be the only airline moving since they don't use that software. Lesson learned.
Nope, lesson most definitely not learned, and root cause not correctly identified.

Once AI patch management use can be written into cyber regulations, it will be over for companies like CrowdStrike.
No, it will just be over in general. Move fast break things is idiotic, CI/CR/CD is stupid, this is illustrating a fundamental weakness in "cloud" + "budget", people shouldn't be using Microsoft in production, people inherently don't understand security, and hallucination is a fundamental limitation of current generative AI (and people are unwilling to wait for maturity). I could go on for a really long time.

The fixes discussed seem to be either:
  • Restore machines from backups, or
  • Keep rebooting and hope the network can snag an update before the machine crashes (wired more successful than wireless)
This ain’t getting fixed fast.

No, it will just be over in general. Move fast break things is idiotic, CI/CR/CD is stupid, this is illustrating a fundamental weakness in "cloud" + "budget", people shouldn't be using Microsoft in production, people inherently don't understand security, and hallucination is a fundamental limitation of current generative AI (and people are unwilling to wait for maturity). I could go on for a really long time.
I’m listening !!!

I agree. I was recently a software developer for cybersecurity products, primarily audit and compliance tools. We only worked with mainframe z/OS systems so it wasn't the most exciting stuff but a majority of transaction-based organizations still depend on mainframes ( big banks, insurance, healthcare, retail, government ) and the occasional hybrid systems. Some of our mega-customers had been entertaining the option of getting off the mainframe for years but it is by far still the safest and most secure when it comes to data security. AT&T was one of the companies hell bent on getting off the mainframe completely and it hasn't worked out too well for them at all. The idea of using AI for mainframe security tasks was an insane thought but IBM did it and so far it's been beneficial. I think the larger companies are too focused on an outside threat and not so much about a massive insider screw up. Most outside data breaches happen because of someone from the inside not doing their job properly, like patch management.

Last edited:
Back