The long awaited change to NOTAMs is finally happening

That one is important for Jerry and his alternate minimums.

In all seriousness, I think that would be most applicable to rotorcraft. That would be the only change I'd like to see, filter by type of operation. If I'm out in a J3 cub, no reason that I need to know the outer marker is unmonitored, but in a transport category jet, we don't need to know that the entire SFO terminal is showered in cranes. At SFO in particular, if you're on the 28s and somehow get that far off course - cranes are the least of your problems.

It’s very applicable to rotorcraft.

Particular ones performing certain types of training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNLIT TOWER 4.2 NM FROM RWY THLD AT 300 AGL

“Oh that one is important…”
That one is important for Jerry and his alternate minimums.

In all seriousness, I think that would be most applicable to rotorcraft. That would be the only change I'd like to see, filter by type of operation. If I'm out in a J3 cub, no reason that I need to know the outer marker is unmonitored, but in a transport category jet, we don't need to know that the entire SFO terminal is showered in cranes. At SFO in particular, if you're on the 28s and somehow get that far off course - cranes are the least of your problems.

I literally just explained all of this above.

Notices to Airman. Not Notices to 121 only. Aviation is a little more broad than just airlines. Yes, I care about unlit towers at night in places I may be proceeding to short range and low level, especially in areas I don’t normally operate in.

if your lazy ass dispatchers aren’t filtering out NOTAMs that don’t pertain to your operation, take that up with them. It’s not the fault of the NOTAM system itself.

Note to self: get dispatchers who have a job function other than just pulling up the weather I've already looked at...

if your lazy ass dispatchers aren’t filtering out NOTAMs that don’t pertain to your operation, take that up with them. It’s not the fault of the NOTAM system itself.

Even if it could be filtered from the horse's mouth. If I'm going out to go fly aerobatics, runway closures & TFRs only please, flying a jet - IFR stuff please, low level helicopter operations - unlit towers, and other hazards for that operation. The funniest one I've seen in a while is at MBPV, student controller on duty.

Even if it could be filtered from the horse's mouth. If I'm going out to go fly aerobatics, runway closures & TFRs only please, flying a jet - IFR stuff please, low level helicopter operations - unlit towers, and other hazards for that operation. The funniest one I've seen in a while is at MBPV, student controller on duty.

I just posed the question in a new thread in the dispatch forum section. Whether they can do that, or not; or does that vary by what a particular operator allows.

you shouldn’t have to bother with non-applicable NOTAMs. I certainly don’t care about the same NOTAMs in the 737, that I do in the MD600

The way I look at it is if I need to know it ForeFlight will tell me.

I just posed the question in a new thread in the dispatch forum section. Whether they can do that, or not; or does that vary by what a particular operator allows.

you shouldn’t have to bother with non-applicable NOTAMs. I certainly don’t care about the same NOTAMs in the 737, that I do in the MD600

I thought customs divested all the 600s? Or are with a different organization?

Retired then a while back yes. Was just picking random aircraft from logbook to make the point.

Gotcha. I was very close to joining customs at one point and was sad to see that they were.

I wasn’t trying to call you out. Everyone knows that you’re the biggest • in all of aviation.

The way I look at it is if I need to know it ForeFlight will tell me.
ForeFlight has done more for the notam system than anything since the FAA first made them available online.

I do give the feds props for mostly ditching published notams. Wasn’t that some stupidity, we’re gonna have a whole other set of notams that hang around so long they won’t show in your briefing but we still won’t bother to put them on the chart/in the relevant publication.

Gotcha. I was very close to joining customs at one point and was sad to see that they were.

I wasn’t trying to call you out. Everyone knows that you’re the biggest • in all of aviation.

im just an average joe. With all the various aircraft flown, I have some to pick and choose from :)

yeah the 600s got a bad rap. Granted, MD made an extended fuselage product and didn’t really upgrade the rotor system to match, from the shorter 520; however the agency didn’t do the bird any favors by loading it down with tons of weight, making a bird that already has a low inertia rotor system, not ideal for autorotation, into an even lower inertia system that lost Nr quick….usually too low to regain it….. if the pilot wasn’t on top of a power loss.

You can’t say “wh***” here? How else do you describe a career that involves every airframe and sector in aviation outside of blimps?

I literally just explained all of this above.

Notices to Airman. Not Notices to 121 only. Aviation is a little more broad than just airlines. Yes, I care about unlit towers at night in places I may be proceeding to short range and low level, especially in areas I don’t normally operate in.

I’m sure it’s 100% the stupid “pass the buck on liability” issue that runs rampant in every part of aviation.

I worked for four airlines, and none of them filtered NOTAMs. Is that really a thing? Like @JordanD said, I’m betting this is an issue of CYA and they don’t want to filter out something by mistake that ends up being loosely related to an incident or accident and gives a plaintiff ammo.

Back