The long awaited change to NOTAMs is finally happening

I worked for four airlines, and none of them filtered NOTAMs. Is that really a thing? Like @JordanD said, I’m betting this is an issue of CYA and they don’t want to filter out something by mistake that ends up being loosely related to an incident or accident and gives a plaintiff ammo.

Meanwhile, truly important stuff like “runway condition 2/2/2, slick with migrating crabs” is lost in the chaff.

Actually, Skyway had very few NOTAMS.

My current shop was good and then one day it seems like a simple flight ATL to BHM generates literally 15 to 20 feet of paper.

D8DB1803-2941-4DE7-B31B-DD48A524EB82.jpeg

Always a bit of a •ter to get to the destination and discover the glide slope is out, which was buried somewhere in there next to “OBST TOWER 180/21NMI 300’ AGL LTS OTS” or whatever.

Thats why they have to be read rather than just skimmed …..or even ignored…..by lazy crews. Or even like my op, where all the NOTAMs are there, but dispatch has placed a check mark next to the ones pertinent to the operation.

Thats why they have to be read rather than just skimmed …..or even ignored…..by lazy crews. Or even like my op, where all the NOTAMs are there, but dispatch has placed a check mark next to the ones pertinent to the operation.
Sure. Let me know how that goes on your 8th leg of the day at 2330 (delayed to arrive at 0155), however.

The problem is the sea of things that don't matter obscuring the one thing that does matter. Simply dumping every NOTAM onto the flight release from the file is a ridiculous evolution.

Sure. Let me know how that goes on your 8th leg of the day at 2330 (delayed to arrive at 0155), however.

you don’t peruse them prior to or on the first leg, for the flight?

The problem is the sea of things that don't matter obscuring the one thing that does matter. Simply dumping every NOTAM onto the flight release from the file is a ridiculous evolution.

Agreed. And that comes back to being able to have dispatch, in some way, flag the important NOTAMs for your operation, from the ones that don’t matter to your operation. People talk the liability of doing that. Personally, I think it’s more liability having the information buried like you describe, and getting missed.

But until that can happen in some way, the onus is going to unfortunately be in the flight crew for culling through the NOTAM dump. I agree and personally think that’s more of a liability, than having a dispatcher at least check the ones off that are pertinent, if they aren’t allowed to non-include any.

I literally just explained all of this above.

Notices to Airman. Not Notices to 121 only. Aviation is a little more broad than just airlines. Yes, I care about unlit towers at night in places I may be proceeding to short range and low level, especially in areas I don’t normally operate in.

if your lazy ass dispatchers aren’t filtering out NOTAMs that don’t pertain to your operation, take that up with them. It’s not the fault of the NOTAM system itself.

I was literally making a joke about how dispatchers can’t filter NOTAMs.

Back