The Imminent threat to our Careers.

skyw82

Hate to start more alarmisn about the "foreign invaders" but it's not just the Gulf carriers we need to worry about.

This is the airline that's based in Norway but registers their aircraft in Ireland and uses I believe crews from a southeast Asian company.

Norwegian Air Shuttle plans imminent opening of US crew bases
Low-cost carrier Norwegian Air Shuttle is about to open its first US crew base as it prepares to step up transatlantic flights by its new long-haul division.

The first base in New York will open “soon,” while one in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., would be operational in the first quarter, the airline said Friday.

Around 170 cabin crew have been recruited in the two cities; Norwegian is also encouraging US pilots to join its workforce.

The Oslo-based carrier is expanding its fleet of Boeing 787s over the next few years and plans to expand its long-haul network to include 14 routes between Europe and the US in 2014. It also plans to operate transatlantic flights from London Gatwick this year.

I'm sorry, but what are we worried about, here? A foreign airline flies people to and from the US. I do not see the problem.
I'm sure this will be interesting to see which was this conversation goes...

Hate to start more alarmisn about the "foreign invaders" but it's not just the Gulf carriers we need to worry about.

This is the airline that's based in Norway but registers their aircraft in Ireland and uses I believe crews from a southeast Asian company.

Norwegian Air Shuttle plans imminent opening of US crew bases

I got an ALPA email about this. The hype is basically you have this airline that is trying to bypass certain laws and regulations which prohibit them from gaining an unfair economic advantage over US carriers.

With US Crew Base don't they have to employ US Citizens?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They have hired numerous American flight attendants. I don't think pilots with FAA certs are qualified to fly for Norwegian anyways.

As of now, 747 freighter bases (no more 747 pax to the US) LAX, SFO, ORD, JFK, ATL.
Only 2 777 bases, LAX and SFO. Trying to work out JFK and ORD but the flight times create issues for having bases there on the 777 due to our usual overtime threshold. We have Americans and Canadians on bases now from the past, however all future US based pilots will have to be US citizens or perm residents. We also have Americans based in Canada from before.

Norwegian Long Haul still requires EASA licenses for flight crew. The U.S. "bases" are not bases per say, they are extended layover cities. All crew are employed through a Singaporean agency and "based" in Bangkok. They are not the same contract or seniority list as Norwegian Air Shuttle.

Captain pay is 11,000 Euros/month. At current exchange rates that is $14,960.

They are bonding non-typed pilots for 3 years I believe.

Probably not too many Americans will qualify, but it's a nice thought of NLH to offer. Perhaps they'll find a way to grant FAA certificate holders a one year validation. Having an Irish AOC might help in that regard as the Irish seem to grant that more than any other European jurisdiction. Then in one year one could complete the 14 exams required for the EASA license.

Typhoonpilot

I got an ALPA email about this. The hype is basically you have this airline that is trying to bypass certain laws and regulations which prohibit them from gaining an unfair economic advantage over US carriers.
The fight that ALPA, along with other pilot unions, needs to fight is making sure the pilots who are based in the United States are treated with the rules and regulations set up by our government. They should not be fighting the destinations in which these airlines operate. That's a fight for the A4A. Pilot unions are a labor union and we need to protect labor rights. A problem I see personally with ALPA is the need to fight for things that are out of our control. Sure, it is good to bring attention to these airlines and the business practices that seem a bit sketchy but it is unfortunately not our fight. We should be concerned more with trying to change bankruptcy laws and not continuously get steam rolled every time our respective managers cry broke.

I'm in! Where do I sign up for benefit cuts and QOL reductions just to fly a bigger plane for a company making record profits?

Oh wait, this isn't PSA. Disregard....

There were no QoL reductions in PSA's deal. My QoL at PSA is through the roof right now. Also we have CR9 rates that are industry average and were not changed.

Now that other stuff......Yea that sucked.

I'm sure you are very well informed as to what was actually in the deal though.o_O

Back