The Flying Turkey a CFI?

How long did it take you to put your lesson plans together? Did you get of outlines or do them on your own? This seems to be the most time-consuming portion.

The lesson plans are the most time consuming part. It took me about 3 weeks to do them, and I did them myself. I used the outline in the FOI book and just plugged in the info from the PTS. I used the Gleim Flight Instructor Flight Maneuvers and Practical Test Prep book. It follows the PTS line for line and it is a great study guide. I did all the research for my lesson plans too. I used the FAA books as well as some other books to help explain the lessons in more detail.
Writing the lesson plans is easy, its all the research that goes along with it that takes the time.

The Turk.

Well it's official, my CFI checkride is this Friday. (It just happens to be Friday the 13th! good thing I'm not superstitious) I had some ground brief time today with my instructor, we will do another ground brief tomorrow, and I will do a short review flight tomorrow to keep sharp. I feel pretty good about it, but I am still nervous. We'll see how it goes...

The Turk.

Hey man, good luck. Sorry about what I sent you, tried to send rtf but too large. I know your instructor has most of that info though..Let me know if you need anything........

Turk

Good luck with your checkride, differences about the school aside, you sound like a good guy who worked hard to get here so quickly.

I always tell my students that the key to any checkride is preparation and focus. Never give up on any maneuver, if it doesn't go well be quick to critique yourself and tell the examiner what was needed to improve the maneuver.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys...
pure_IMC,
thanks for what you sent, it really helped out, and yes, my instructor went over a lot of what you had.

The Turk.

Well now that I have finished CFI, its time to move on to CFII. Today is my first CFII lesson, and back in the Archer after a couple of months flying the Arrow. I guess we will be doing some BAI work, compass & time turns, just to get back in the swing of things. I haven't really flown instruments since before I started commercial, about 3 months. So with a little practice I should be good to go.

The Turk.

CFII training is going well and my flight today went better than I thought it would. Today was the first time in about 3 months that I filed and flew IFR. I did a hold and 3 approaches, and I picked up right where I left off, it felt good to fly so well. I have to write a few briefs, BAI, holds, the 6 pack, and intercepting/tracking VOR/NDB. Shouldn't be too bad, and it looks like I will only need about 6 flights to get ready for the checkride. 2 down 4 to go...

The Turk.

I have finished the 6 flights and I am scheduled for my CFII checkride this Friday. I am going on another flight tomorrow, just to practice some steep turns, and maybe another hold.

It seems I am going to fast for Pan Am. I was hoping to finish CFII this week, (which I will), and finish MEI by July 4 to be completely done in 10 months. But now I have to wait for the MEI ground school which may start on the 7th. Or who knows when. The MEI ground school is a combination of private-multi students and MEI students, which I already took. So I dont see the point.
So now I get to sit and do nothing.

The Turk.

The Flying Turkey a CFI??
Make that a CFII!
Another $300 well spent. I passed the CFII checkride today. I can see the finish line right ahead, but I will have to wait a week for the MEI ground school to start. So I have a week off. I was hoping to get into the July 07 indoc. class, but now I will have to wait until the August 11 class. I cant wait to get done.

The Turk.

It's the class that Pan Am has you go through to prepare you to be a CFI for the school. They are confident that you wouldn't have made it this far if you weren't a good pilot but this class covers how to do paperwork, scheduling, etc.... It's been awhile since I went through it so I'm sure it has changed.

MEI ground school started Monday. It is exactly the same as private-multi. In fact, there are 9 MEI students, and 6 private-multi students in the same class. So I have 5 long days, plus the final on the 6th day to look forward to.

The Turk.

Hey new CFII, explain to me how GCA approaches work, how the types differ, what their respective accuracies are, and what the pilot responsibilities are for each type.

Curious question you could receive from a student..........

Oh here goes MikeD spouting off his useless instrument knowledge with his chest puffed out. Guess what, WE DON'T CARE! Don't worry Turk if you don't know what any of it means because it is absolutely useless in the real world.

It's called a rhetorical question, and I figured Turk wouldn't know it. But I'm trying to illustrate a crucial point concerning being a new CFI.

For Turk to be a good CFII, he has to be prepared for questions he may and may not know. A good CFI always researches and learns more and more. Being a newly minted CFI is your license teach, but is also your new license to learn. And knowing and learning all you can is very important, whether you arrogantly think you need it or not.

Turk, take the time to be the best CFI you can and challenge yourself to learn all you can. You'll provide the best training to your students that way, and build your aviation bag-o-SA at the same time. Now is the time when you're freshly minted to set this foundation. What you teach the students of today, both habit and knowlege-wise, will mold the CFIs of tomorrow. Teach them to be open-minded and willing to learn regardles of their level in aviation; make that foundation for them

Well you can’t have it both ways. Time to dust off that dictionary and look up the word rhetorical. You can’t say that you didn’t expect Turk to answer the question, and then spend five paragraphs explaining why knowing stuff like this is important.

Now, while knowing about GCAs might seem interesting to you, I could care less. The chances of losing everything in actual IFR conditions except the radio are so remote compared to other emergency situations that could happen. Moreover, even if the above scenario did happen why would I need to know all the details? If I couldn’t get to VFR conditions then a controller could vector me down to the runway. How is knowing the pilot responsibilities of different types of GCAs going to help now?

So there is a military training route that goes over Lake Pleasant. So, I didn’t realize the implications of a training routes, however, what is the effect on my operations? Zero. What do you expect us to do, go somewhere else? Oh, and by the way, in over five years flying in the Phoenix area I’ve NEVER heard a military aircraft on any of the practice area frequencies. In addition, unless you address an aircraft directly, don’t expect a response, to much freq congestion as it is. If you really cared about the situation in the northwest practice area you’d do more about it then use it as a weapon to make others look inferior.

This whole thing about the northwest practice area is upsetting because of your attitude. Instead of laying out the situation and seeing what kind of solution could be found you come in here with the attitude that PanAm cfis are a bunch of buffoons that are complete clueless newbies. I don’t think once you’ve suggested a solution. Until then, see and avoid buddy. Class E airspace with no MOA near one of the busiest GA airports in the nation equals lots of airplanes. If you feel it’s so unsafe why do you continue to use that particular training route?

You’re a guy who’s intent is to show the world that you know everything and you’re such a cool military pilot. To make it worse you do it under the guise of trying to help. I’ve seen your type come and go, guys that are know-it-alls and don’t seem to be able to connect with reality. I’m sick of arrogant guys like you that always have something to prove.

Now I know already what your going to say, I’m just a CFI with no real world experience. So I guess I should bow down before you, MikeD, giver of all aviation knowledge. However, I’d feel better if you’d take your IFR quizzes and full page picture of Ripper and stay out of the PanAm forum.

Tired.

I'll reveal my true colors here.

You see, it doesn't matter whether Turk knew the answer to the question or not. What I was looking for was his response, his attitude if you will.

Would Turk:

A: Look at the question and figure "Hmmm. Don't know, but I'd like to know " and do a little research and come back with some sort of an answer. It wouldn't matter if the answer was even incomplete. What would matter is that he wanted to know the information about an IFR operation, that he wanted to do a little research beyond the scope of what he's doing now, and wanted fill up his bag-o-knowlege just a little more.

Or would he....

B. Take up a poor attitude. "I don't know the answer, so I don't need to know, it's stupid info and I don't care, besides, with all my experience, I already know exactly what I need to know and what I don't for the real world". If a student asked you the question I did, would you REALLY have told him that it "doesn't matter in the real world" and "I don't care"? If you would have, what a poor instructor attitude that would be to a student.

Now to the rest of your points. I NEVER said anything about going somewhere else regards the MTR. But knowing where it's located, and having a little SA on it's route, would generally help you that much more with where to focus your aerial lookout when in the practice area. That area over Lake Pleasant is for everybody, but it'd sure be nice to know where certain ops are to help with the see and avoid......at least to some of us that think we need to know that. And BTW, the number of times I've been on 122.75 making a traffic call, the frequency has been relatively dead; didn't seem too busy, but there may have not been any planes around either.

I've got nothing to prove, and I certainly don't know it all. But at least my mind is open enough to learn things new, unlike the two of you. Seen your type come and go too; the "if I don't know it now, then I don't need to". Maybe my brand and style of help to someone aviation-wise seems a little unorthodox to you, but I've laid out my intent in this post. You may or may not have seen my question on the authority of controllers in Non-Federal Control Towers from the other day (in the General section). In it, I posed a question to the forum that I didn't know, yet wanted to know because it's important enough to know. So your blast on me thinking I feel like I see all/know all is rather false.

Here's an example: I fly single pilot, so do I really care about CRM in general? Not really. In fact, I don't really care for crew anything, just a personal preference. But I learn CRM because I want to know how best to operate in a crew situation if I ever needed to, and be an effective part of the team, regardless of my personal preferences. Will I ever use it in the real world? Probably not, but never say never. Same with Cat III ILS. Am I ever going to use on in the ops I do? Probably not. But it has to do with IFR, and therefore, I want to know....in fact as a professional, SHOULD know about how they work. Again, never say never with the future.

Finally. Are you saying I can't come around on the PanAm section of the website? Didn't know it was a private club. Sorry you have no appreciation for General Jack D Ripper, but I happen to find him rather amusing.

So since nothing I have to say is interesting, and the info I throw out is useless, I'll ask questions more to you PanAm IPs level and importance.

Q. How much fuel does the PA-44 Janitrol heater burn and from where does it draw it?

[ QUOTE ]

You see, it doesn't matter whether Turk knew the answer to the question or not. What I was looking for was his response, his attitude if you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeD, just looking back on all of Turkey’s posts, I don’t think his “attitude” is in question.

Two basic categories of pilots: Those who love what they do and can’t hold back the grin when talking about it, and those who hang around the pilot lounge/forum whining and complaining about everything under the sun.

You have one of the greatest jobs in the world getting to serve your country and get paid to fly awesome aircraft. Personally, I’m thankful to you and envious. Based on the fact that most of your posts bash just about all civilian flight schools, CFI’s in general, passenger airlines, and anyone who would want to be an FO, I would be more concerned about questioning your own “attitude”. I tend to agree with Tired’s opinion about your check on reality.

Back