The Beginning of the End of Labor Peace at SWA

Trip7

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505244_...wants-to-outsource-some-jobs/?tag=mncol;lst;9

Union says Southwest wants to outsource some jobs
comments

DALLAS — Southwest Airlines workers who load planes are protesting in Chicago over what they say is the company's plan to outsource some of their jobs.

Members of the Transport Workers Union handed out leaflets Tuesday to passengers at Chicago's Midway Airport to explain their side in contract negotiations that began last July but have resulted in little progress.

TWU Local 555 represents 8,400 Southwest employees. It says Southwest wants authority to replace up to 20 percent of them with workers provided by independent contractors.

Local President Charles Cerf said the employees have handled bigger workloads because of Southwest's policy of not charging for checked bags and that service would suffer if the airline used contract workers.

"Southwest has never been so adamant about wanting to outsource jobs and use contract workers," Cerf said.

Southwest spokesman Paul Flaningan said that Southwest "remains committed to negotiating a contract that protects job stability and benefits" of the employees "while at the same time protecting Southwest's long-term profitability." He declined to comment on specific proposals, citing ongoing negotiations.

Dallas-based Southwest carries more U.S. passengers than any airline, and Midway is the busiest airport in its system, according to the company's website.

About 82 percent of Southwest employees are represented by a union. The company is expected to begin new contract negotiations this year and next year with pilots, flight attendants, customer-service agents and other employees.

In an industry known for tense labor-management relations, Southwest's record has been more peaceful than most other airlines. The company says it has never had layoffs in its 41-year history. Including its AirTran Airways subsidiary, Southwest Airlines Co. has about 45,000 employees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

misc-you-dont-say.svg

Further reading: http://forums.jetcareers.com/thread...southwest-employees-about-labor-costs.130976/

I worked for SWA for 6 years and am now over at AirTran. Don't get me wrong there are outsourced employees who do a great job here, unfortunately in my experience the bad ones outweigh the good. Obviously there is no vested interest in the company. The guy humping bags doesn't care if it gets destroyed, there not getting the profit sharing. SWA has made some decisions recently that get away from their model that has worked so well for a long time and this looks like another example.

I worked for SWA for 6 years and am now over at AirTran. Don't get me wrong there are outsourced employees who do a great job here, unfortunately in my experience the bad ones outweigh the good. Obviously there is no vested interest in the company. The guy humping bags doesn't care if it gets destroyed, there not getting the profit sharing. SWA has made some decisions recently that get away from their model that has worked so well for a long time and this looks like another example.
I just love how The Man wants to screw in-house unionized employees, so they outsource all the handling to Menzies, who, if they turned around and unionized, would grind the airline business to a halt...

Good luck with those 25 min turns....
Having recently moved gate carryon bags at one of our shorter staffed behind schedule stations, I can tell you the motivation level of outsourced employees is pretty damn low to start with. Our turns on 50-seaters are 30 minutes scheduled but, depending on where we are, they can be as little as 15. :)

Having recently moved gate carryon bags at one of our shorter staffed behind schedule stations...

I'm sure you've heard it before, but be VERY careful about doing that. The airline you work for has refused (and won in arbitration) to pay workers comp for pilots who were hurt doing something outside their job description such as moving gate check bags. Also, if the rampers at that particular station are unionized, they may not take too kindly to a non union (there union anyway) employee doing their job.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but be VERY careful about doing that. The airline you work for has refused (and won in arbitration) to pay workers comp for pilots who were hurt doing something outside their job description such as moving gate check bags. Also, if the rampers at that particular station are unionized, they may not take too kindly to a non union (there union anyway) employee doing their job.
Well aware, but thanks for the reminder. :)

In the specific set of circumstances it was the correct thing to do.

The beginning of the end for Southwest labor peace was when they crammed a draconian seniority integration down the throats of 30% of their pilot work force. This is just the next shoe to drop.

Sad state of affairs we work in!

1) how many people WN employs is not the union's concern
2) if the union wants to maintain jobs, then they need to make themselves more competitive
How do you think they make themselves more competitive? I can't believe how fast 2 1/2 people can turn a plane. If you can't do it with that then I think the system is flawed. I'd like to hear your comments.

I have deep and special love for SWA, and it distresses me to see them making moves like this.

Part of what has made them successful is NOT doing things like other airlines. This doesn't bode well.

Its a shame, too. I just learned that AirTran flies outta DCA down to CLT, which means I can stop using ScareWays. I'm going to try and use SWA and AirTran as much as possible, but I worry.

Back