The Attack on the 2nd Amendment Continues

I'm ok with a schizophrenic owning a firearm. As long as he/she doesn't walk into a theatre, a school, or any other facility and slaughter a number of innocent people. Or perpetrate a crime with said gun. Or any gun. And has no criminal background preventing the ownership of the gun.

If mental illness is treatable, why NOT let a schizophrenic own a firearm? Is it different than a diagnosed alcoholic, drug addict, or person with bi-polar, or even depression from owning a firearm? ANY one of these people have (has? :oops:) the ability to act irrationally at any give time.

Half of my in-laws are bipolar.

I wouldn't be around them during an episode if they as much have a whiffle ball bat.

Wuuuuuuu tang! Hell's naw.

My aunt is bipolar. Been on medication for it for years. As long as she's on medication, I see no problem with her possessing guns (and she does). Her condition is completely controlled by the medication. You wouldn't even know that she has a disorder.

Hmm, that does not mesh with the examples of accidental CCW shootings being discussed in the CCW class. I also just googled CCW and accidental shooting and plenty come up. Not to mention several example I can think of in my home state in recent years.

I am not arguing against CCW, but the record is not perfect.

I'm not familiar with those cases. I am familiar with a few cases involving CCW holders illegally carrying and having accidents (such as when they were drinking). But clearly those cases don't apply, since someone who breaks a law about carrying would just break other laws as well if you ratified them, making the argument for gun control useless.

Translation: I love my freedom, I just don't trust other people to have freedom?

Where in my post did I even suggest that??

I'm ok with a schizophrenic owning a firearm.As long as he/she doesn't walk into a theatre, a school, or any other facility and slaughter a number of innocent people. Or perpetrate a crime with said gun. Or any gun. And has no criminal background preventing the ownership of the gun.

Who's to say that someone with an illness, who is on medication with strong potential side effects, doesn't go out and use that gun in a violent manner? How do we prevent them from shooting up a bunch of people? Do we ask them nicely? "Hey Joe, I know you have a disease that can cause violent outbreaks, but just be sure you don't use your gun to hurt people, okay?"

I want to be clear on this. I do not believe that everyone with mental illness is violent. That's simply not the case. However SOME people, with certain mental illnesses have violent episodes. If we know that a potential owner has a mental illness that can cause violent episodes, why would we want them to have a gun?Just because they're not criminals doesn't mean that they can be responsible gun owners.

As Penn (from Penn & Teller) has been trying desperately to tell everyone for the past few weeks, incredibly few people with mental illnesses are violent. People keep talking about how this kid in Newtown had asburgers syndrome, but the fact is, asburgers doesn't contribute to violent behavior. So are we going to take away the rights of someone with this illness, even though the facts show that it doesn't contribute to violent behavior? The facts show that those who suffer from mental illness are usually the victims of violent crime, not the perpetrators.

Sorry, but it takes a whole hell of a lot for me to be willing to infringe upon someone's natural rights. A felon, sure. They've voluntarily surrendered their rights by committing a felony. But when you start to get beyond that, I get uneasy.

My aunt is bipolar. Been on medication for it for years. As long as she's on medication, I see no problem with her possessing guns (and she does). Her condition is completely controlled by the medication. You wouldn't even know that she has a disorder.

Welp, get her a gun! :)

I think the gun control people should just propose to repeal the 2nd. Problem solved.

I agree. While I would vehemently disagree with that proposal, at least it's honest and an honorable way to deal with their beliefs. Trying to violate the Constitution, pretending that it doesn't say what it clearly says, and pretending that the Founders didn't say what they said, is dishonest and worthy of behavior usually own seen from teabaggers.

Back