Tamarack lawyers

Good job guys, you “beat” the NTSB (and I already got the celebratory marketing email). Cool idea but their execution and marketing are…well, if I say anything negative I might get sued faster than saying anything about a single engine plastic jet not already released by the manufacturer (or whatever hypothetical scenario there). NTSB Retracts Tamarack Winglet Blame in Fatal Citation 525 Crash - AVweb
Please consider that this was a 91 flight in a CJ.

Tamaracks might not live up to their marketing hype... but what really does, eh? Not to suggest that Tamaracks do much of anything other than cost folks money... And not to attempt to justify by anecdote, but I've flown 'em and they never seemed like "killer appendages" to me. Lame and largely useless, perhaps. But not killer.

Is it really all that outlandish that in this, er, "accident" (predictable O/O "event ) that, maybe just maybe, the pilot actually did not know how to fly?

Last edited:
That sure is a choice for a haircut.

1709688921726.png

Please consider that this was a 91 flight in a CJ.

Tamaracks might not live up to their marketing hype... but what really does, eh? Not to suggest that Tamaracks do much of anything other than cost folks money... And not to attempt to justify by anecdote, but I've flown 'em and they never seemed like "killer appendages" to me. Lame and largely useless, perhaps. But not killer.

Is it really all that outlandish that in this, er, "accident" (predictable O/O "event ) that, maybe just maybe, the pilot actually did not know how to fly?
The NTSB covered that in the original report…the checklist (hopefully memory items) for a winglet control surface failure-induced roll requires immediately reducing speed to regain aileron effectiveness. That didn’t happen here. Why did a sudden uncommanded roll occur that required recovery? The NTSB offered the most likely explanation, but then the lawyers showed up.

The NTSB covered that in the original report…the checklist (hopefully memory items) for a winglet control surface failure-induced roll requires immediately reducing speed to regain aileron effectiveness. That didn’t happen here. Why did a sudden uncommanded roll occur that required recovery? The NTSB offered the most likely explanation, but then the lawyers showed up.
In MOST airplanes (aerodynamically, I, personally, would argue ALL airplanes), speed adjustment is the first step in recovering from any recognized problem.

"Hi! My name is Burt, and I'm the pilot of an upset aircraft." The expected answer is NOT, "Hi, Burt!" The expected answer is, "Burt! Adjust your speed!"

I would agree with this reversal if not for the other Citations having the EXACT same issue!

Politics…..Tamarack has some good financial backing….

Aviation Partners has made billions of dollars selling winglets over a very long period of time. Maybe it's a Seattle thing but just like Microsoft they cornered the market without actually doing much physical labor. Joe Clark got a bunch of aeronautical engineers together to solve the winglet problem. I think they started with the G-II STC but I'm not certain. Boeing adopted their designs and incorporated them into their manufacturing process and paid a licensing fee for each winglet built (that's the Microsoft reference origin). Joe and the one who's name shall not be uttered in these hallowed halls were partners in a number of different ventures and as an employee of the forsaken one he was not unfamiliar to me. I didn't like or dislike him, I was never in a position to ever say anything other than hello or goodbye. In any case one fine day I went to work, clocked in and walked out of the hangar to see something completely unexpected...

F9BB8D46-EED4-4E6B-9866-449336807FF1.jpeg

I thought I might be on some hidden camera show, my dumb head said "There's no way that's real.". We were not immune to having movie/tv productions on the property so I just sort of chalked it up to something like that and went on about my day. Nope, that was Aviation Partners next big thing, thank God it didn't work. It's seems similar to 26" gold rims on a lifted diesel Ram 4X4 doing the Carolina squat with a sound system that opens refrigerators when it drives by. Plus it didn't have nav lights and could only fly during daytime. It's been a long weird road.

Aviation Partners has made billions of dollars selling winglets over a very long period of time. Maybe it's a Seattle thing but just like Microsoft they cornered the market without actually doing much physical labor. Joe Clark got a bunch of aeronautical engineers together to solve the winglet problem. I think they started with the G-II STC but I'm not certain. Boeing adopted their designs and incorporated them into their manufacturing process and paid a licensing fee for each winglet built (that's the Microsoft reference origin). Joe and the one who's name shall not be uttered in these hallowed halls were partners in a number of different ventures and as an employee of the forsaken one he was not unfamiliar to me. I didn't like or dislike him, I was never in a position to ever say anything other than hello or goodbye. In any case one fine day I went to work, clocked in and walked out of the hangar to see something completely unexpected...

View attachment 77091
I thought I might be on some hidden camera show, my dumb head said "There's no way that's real.". We were not immune to having movie/tv productions on the property so I just sort of chalked it up to something like that and went on about my day. Nope, that was Aviation Partners next big thing, thank God it didn't work. It's seems similar to 26" gold rims on a lifted diesel Ram 4X4 doing the Carolina squat with a sound system that opens refrigerators when it drives by. Plus it didn't have nav lights and could only fly during daytime. It's been a long weird road.
It even has a JetCareers tail number…

It even has a JetCareers tail number…
The forsaken one and Joe had complicated financial dealings, here's a picture of him flying something everyone says he owns with an odd paint scheme...

EC5C1575-03FF-439B-A24A-070AA4218064.jpeg

I've flown with Clay in a few airplanes that he owned, they didn't all carry a Charlie Lima tail number. I think the happiest I ever saw him was from the right seat in his Baron. That's the person I know, I met him long after his airline days and we always got along. I understand why many here hate him, but my perspective is different.

Back