Tabletop Mini Tripods

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
I'm shopping for a nice little tabletop mini tripod. Anybody have or use one of these that they would recommend and/or NOT recommend?
I think I would prefer the ball and socket type over the 3-axis type because it looks easier to position, but I haven't used a tripod before, so what do I know.

This is the one I've seen used by lots of people... @mikecweb , is this the one you have?

This is the one I've seen used by lots of people... @mikecweb , is this the one you have?

That's what I was going to suggest.

Yea I lost it somewhere.

This is what I use. I run Fuji so the weight capacity isn't an issue, even with the 50-140 hooked up.

Features you will need depends on what use you plan on making of the tripod.

If for still photography ONLY, you want to balance sturdiness with size and cost. The pan-tilt head depends on your preferences and budget.

HOWEVER, if you plan on taking movies (or whatever they're called this week), then the pan-tilt head becomes far more critical. A good pan-tilt head will allow you to aim the camera and move it in a circle, SMOOTHLY. The circle should remain a circle, not an oval or a lumpy amoeba. Inexpensive heads often do not have separate drag vs lock controls, and expect the lock, when slightly loose, to serve as a drag. May work, but obviously less reliable. Many have the pan handle twist to lock one axis, usually the tilt function. Again, for still this is fine, for motion, less so. You really need to try it, and send it back if either design or quality control doesn't stack up.

Happy shooting!

Just taking still pictures. Maybe also screw a mini-projector on it to watch movies. Those are usually 1-3 lbs, so I don't think weight will be a big deal.
Looks like the PIXI is used by lots of people here. I'll look at that one more closely.

Back