Stay at NK or go to AA

I'm not actually sure why you would stay given your age and the amount of time you have in at Spirit. Also if you want to stay in Dallas that's just a bonus weather you can get it out of training or not eventually you will get it, where as spirit who knows if it will last. Heck there are days I *think* of going somewhere else, if I could have left 10 years ago when I was trying too I'd be gone, but as it is I'm almost much (MUCH) closer 50 then 40 and even with our sub-par pay it'd be years before I could make what I am now if I started over. If you can switch and esp make more by year 2 I would do it and don't look back.

you have the interview, do it and see how it feels.

If offered, ask yourself what you honestly would like to before you retire.

Personally, if 320 LCP was the apex of my career, I’d kind of be looking at taking an early retirement.

So……. Retiring? Or widebody LCP? ;)

Yes but it’s not like I’m at a regional. Spirit can be a viable career. And I’m all ready around 60-65% company seniority

So you’ve made up your mind then. Why ask then?

And now that I’ve read the rest of the thread, get the job first. Otherwise, moot argument.

I see why your famous around here.

You’re* the one who asked. And then got defensive?

I’m not even sure why I bother on a thread like this. As if in the year 2022 some pilot will make a life long 30+ year career decision based on what some random Joe Schmoe said on a forum. Most of the time, the decision has already been made and one is looking for validation.

I’m not even sure why I bother on a thread like this. As if in the year 2022 some pilot will make a life long 30+ year career decision based on what some random Joe Schmoe said on a forum. Most of the time, the decision has already been made and one is looking for validation.

98838BAD-B4EA-426C-8BBE-36074E2FC2D1.jpeg

This is actually one of our better threads here. It’s aviation related. It’s career related. And he’s asking questions a bunch of others might have too. The discussion of pros and cons is interesting. This thread is 100 times more JC than the Covid, vaccines, and masks threads.

Please don't bother, or on any other thread ever.

I'm not actually sure why you would stay given your age and the amount of time you have in at Spirit. Also if you want to stay in Dallas that's just a bonus weather you can get it out of training or not eventually you will get it, where as spirit who knows if it will last. Heck there are days I *think* of going somewhere else, if I could have left 10 years ago when I was trying too I'd be gone, but as it is I'm almost much (MUCH) closer 50 then 40 and even with our sub-par pay it'd be years before I could make what I am now if I started over. If you can switch and esp make more by year 2 I would do it and don't look back.

Yeah DFW is where we want to be, and no way I want to have to commute somewhere long term. The point that was made of there being tons of opportunity in Dfw at AA such as school house, management, Union really stands out.

If I am fortunate enough to move forward at AA I think I will take it for sure. Thought my wife would really frown at starting over yet again but she’s pretty supportive of it which helps a lot.

If it doesn’t work out I think I can still be very happy at spirit long term as well, still believe there’s a lot of opportunity here.

Yeah DFW is where we want to be, and no way I want to have to commute somewhere long term. The point that was made of there being tons of opportunity in Dfw at AA such as school house, management, Union really stands out.

If I am fortunate enough to move forward at AA I think I will take it for sure. Thought my wife would really frown at starting over yet again but she’s pretty supportive of it which helps a lot.

If it doesn’t work out I think I can still be very happy at spirit long term as well, still believe there’s a lot of opportunity here.
Put in your application and expect a quick response.

This is actually one of our better threads here. It’s aviation related. It’s career related. And he’s asking questions a bunch of others might have too. The discussion of pros and cons is interesting. This thread is 100 times more JC than the Covid, vaccines, and masks threads.

Please don't bother, or on any other thread ever.

He asked a question and got legit advice. 32 yrs old means 33 years left in the career. 2.5 longevity at Spirit, very low longevity, still a FO. This one is easy, go to AA.

He comes back with "it's not like I"m at a regional." Ok, that was never in question. He stressed DFW and long term career prospects. I didn't understand coming back with a "I'm not at a regional, this ULCC can be viable long term, and I'm at 60-65%."

I read the first part only initially. Now that I've read the rest, he doesn't even have a job at AA yet.

I don't think my answer was too far left field. A little too direct and harsh, yes. But again, get the job, then worry about it. And giving up ULCC FO with 2.5 yrs longevity, heck, giving up 2.5 yrs ANYWHERE but the big 3, to go to the big 3, should be a no brainer (provided your spouse/kid situation allows you to pull that trigger).

Now for someone like @ZapBrannigan , I would absolutely NOT leave SWA. Got too much time invested and getting on the AARP side of things :) . A guy like him should definitely stick it out at SWA and not risk starting over somewhere. I also gave him what I thought was good advice, just wait 2 yrs until the son is out of high school. Kids are only ours until 18, after that it's off to college and then their jobs, who knows where that will take them? I would (IHMO) cherish the 18 yrs we have the kids in the house. Personally, I'd hold off the upgrade 2 more years and then take the plunge when he starts college.

For what it's worth, I just recently left AA after almost 9 years (now I've outed myself to any AA guy here) for a major freight carrier. The culture at AA is toxic, both from a management and a union standpoint. I was based in DFW and living in DFW. I was a fairly senior FO on the 737. I gave that up because I couldn't wake up every morning for the next 23 years and go to work at AA.

AA was always a dream of mine. I realize now that it was never a dream job. Even before the merger, the toxic attitudes that had permeated that place would never die.

I have no regrets with my decision. It's the best one I could have ever made.

For what it's worth, I just recently left AA after almost 9 years (now I've outed myself to any AA guy here) for a major freight carrier. The culture at AA is toxic, both from a management and a union standpoint. I was based in DFW and living in DFW. I was a fairly senior FO on the 737. I gave that up because I couldn't wake up every morning for the next 23 years and go to work at AA.

AA was always a dream of mine. I realize now that it was never a dream job. Even before the merger, the toxic attitudes that had permeated that place would never die.

Wow! Hats off to you. Glad you found someplace better.

That’s great advice! I think this is what the original post was looking for.. some kind of inside input, and prospective. As for the post above..(CC) he’d been better off passing gas than giving his pointless opinion.

Ok I'll ask for some advice too, I wanna throw my apps out but have been on EIL (leave of absence) for the past year and a half. I'm headed back to training shortly - should I:

A: Put my apps in now even though zero recency, updating after training ends
B: Apply once I hit sims and do some approaches
C: Apply once I actually fly a plane and am current again

Thanks!

Last edited:

IMO alot of it was what you make of it, and what you expose yourself to. The union sucks, and their tactics suck. But staying off the message boards, and staying out of the crew rooms helps. Also, the "face" of the airline is changing as the old wackados are leaving in large numbers and movement is really picking up.

It’s stories like this and having worked for 2 different AA WO’s that makes it a tougher decision then some may think. Also NK is a better place to work then many outsiders give it credit for.

Ok I'll ask some advice too, I wanna throw my apps out but have been on EIL (leave of absence) for the past year and a half. I'm headed back to training shortly - should I:

A: Put my apps in now even though zero recency, updating after training ends
B: Apply once I hit sims and do some approaches
C: Apply once I actually fly a plane and am current again

Thanks!
I’d apply now and update as necessary . That’s just one random dudes opinion though.

I believe that you had some post on here during your airlines merger. When things were questionable in your mind. You asked the group their opinion, if you should go to Delta, United or American. You stated that of the three you really wanted to go to American for the projected quick seniority. Were those thread you created an example of you seeking validation? Should I utilize the search function to prove my point?

Back