Stay at NK or go to AA

FlySooner9

Wanted to ask this group here since the crowd here is much more level headed then the other one on the inter webs. i live in Dfw 30 min from the airport. Also I’m 32 years old.

I’m currently a FO at NK. Been here about 2 and a half years. About 48% in DFW. I’m probably about a year from the most junior upgrade but still probably 2+ years from holding DFW CA and even longer to hold a line there. I really have enjoyed it here. The schedule flexibility is awesome now as a solid line holder. My concerns are with the amount of attrition we have. Upgrades have slowed to a crawl because of it. Worried it may affect our growth plans which is the only way seniority will move up here.

With everything going on I’m considering putting my stuff in at AA (I know I don’t have a decision to make until/if I get a CJO but..)
wondering if it makes sense to start all over again and switch to AA. Not all that concerned about the money. Mostly looking for good QOL long term. I’d be happy as a clam to be a long term NB captain in Dfw.

what say all the wise minds of JC?

Have you thought about applying to envoy? They have a flow to AA and I guess it’s the best regional out there.

All joking aside, I’m genuinely curious to see what everyone here has to say about OP’s post. Perhaps one day I’ll be in a similar predicament, who knows. Sorry I wasn’t helpful.

Last edited:
Like you said... get the job first.

For a single fleet NB carrier, Spirit goes to some interesting places, but the possibilities are WAY bigger at American. If you are going to be happy with a good paycheck and days off and don't care so much about doing your 5th Omaha overnight of the month, then I'd take the seniority you already have and make Spirit home. If you want the ability to switch around the type of flying you do or have possibilities in training/management or Union stuff, I'd try to make the jump to American. Assuming there aren't any catastrophes any time soon (haha) you'll get your seniority back relatively quickly just based on retirements.

Wanted to ask this group here since the crowd here is much more level headed then the other one on the inter webs. i live in Dfw 30 min from the airport. Also I’m 32 years old.

I’m currently a FO at NK. Been here about 2 and a half years. About 48% in DFW. I’m probably about a year from the most junior upgrade but still probably 2+ years from holding DFW CA and even longer to hold a line there. I really have enjoyed it here. The schedule flexibility is awesome now as a solid line holder. My concerns are with the amount of attrition we have. Upgrades have slowed to a crawl because of it. Worried it may affect our growth plans which is the only way seniority will move up here.

With everything going on I’m considering putting my stuff in at AA (I know I don’t have a decision to make until/if I get a CJO but..)
wondering if it makes sense to start all over again and switch to AA. Not all that concerned about the money. Mostly looking for good QOL long term. I’d be happy as a clam to be a long term NB captain in Dfw.

I will try to answer some of your questions. March will be 4 years of being at AA. Currently I am DFW based on the 320. It took me about a year to hold DFW after new hire class. As far as upgrade to CA on the 320 goes, the most junior upgrade is a 10xxx number and I am a 12xxx number.

Chances are you will not hold Dallas right out of training. I believe LGA and LAX are still the junior bases for the new hires. Someone else might be able to tell you more about the 737 side of things.

Lots of us at ULCCs are really scratching our heads about this, trust me. Even with way more seniority that 2 years.

One of my main concerns is AA’s financial situation, especially with a looming recession. Curious if they would ever try to “shrink” to profitability.

So I’m in almost the exact same boat. Been at nk for about 3 years, live close to Dallas, and have an interview next month at AA.

I like spirit and am not in a hurry to leave, but the future of our DFW base scares me. What future do we have there? Also our pay is always going to lag considerably behind the legacies.

So I’m in almost the exact same boat. Been at nk for about 3 years, live close to Dallas, and have an interview next month at AA.

I like spirit and am not in a hurry to leave, but the future of our DFW base scares me. What future do we have there? Also our pay is always going to lag considerably behind the legacies.
Yeah last guy I flew with just had gotten a line in Dfw after being here for 6+ years. Even if NK does grow to 300 airplanes how much bigger if any will the Dfw base get?

Yeah last guy I flew with just had gotten a line in Dfw after being here for 6+ years. Even if NK does grow to 300 airplanes how much bigger if any will the Dfw base get?
Exactly. I’ve also been flying into E for years and it’s kind of alarming how much smaller the non AA presence there gets year after year. They don’t want us there… how long can we hold on.

Last edited:
So me more time to share more thoughts.

pay. It’s f I quit now, I’ll take a hit for a year, but second year pay at AA will be like $8 an hour more than 4th year pay. Also I believe they are renegotiating new pay rights right now that will also include profit sharing.

seniority. I don’t think anyone else is going to see more turnover at the top of the list than AA.If we start now our seniority climb will be substantial. I THINK that would also bring down wait times to get into wide bodies.

So me more time to share more thoughts.

pay. It’s f I quit now, I’ll take a hit for a year, but second year pay at AA will be like $8 an hour more than 4th year pay. Also I believe they are renegotiating new pay rights right now that will also include profit sharing.

seniority. I don’t think anyone else is going to see more turnover at the top of the list than AA.If we start now our seniority climb will be substantial. I THINK that would also bring down wait times to get into wide bodies.
I’ve been at NK over 5 years and love it but at the end of the day, DFW is a really senior and stagnant base for us. Tough decision

Do you really want to be on the bottom the seniority list at American, should the US ultimately enter into an armed conflict against Russia? I’m not saying there are going to be nukes raining down on us but the economic ramifications to our country and the airlines won’t be pretty.

If you have the interview, do it and see how it feels.

If offered, ask yourself what you honestly would like to before you retire.

Personally, if 320 LCP was the apex of my career, I’d kind of be looking at taking an early retirement.

Back