Spirit and Frontier to Merge

I say the fact they're even talking about rooms for new hires is promising. We will see though.

“I survived when the pay was $37/hr first year and no hotels, why don’t the new hires pay their dues like the rest of us?”

- a member of the Denver Flying Club, probably

Just curious, what does your contract say about that? Do they foot the bill for the Dr. visit? How about transportation?

Just to use a very hypothetical example that I was once told when someone was relating to me apocryphal stories - in a situation much like this, said pilots called ambulances to transport themselves to the urgent care to get their Kindergarden note. I'm sure that never actually happened, of course.
Honestly no idea, but we were alluded to that these calls were “omicron” related and folks were calling out every holiday, some were determined that they never had Covid and using it to get certain days off…as a result management handed out a bunch of Section 19’s (which of course was an idiotic moral booster) heard there was about 50 of them and the union had negotiated almost all of them to nothing .

Honestly no idea, but we were alluded to that these calls were “omicron” related and folks were calling out every holiday, some were determined that they never had Covid and using it to get certain days off…as a result management handed out a bunch of Section 19’s (which of course was an idiotic moral booster) heard there was about 50 of them and the union had negotiated almost all of them to nothing .

The union shouldn’t have to negotiate anything. If you’re not fit for duty, you can’t fly.

The union shouldn’t have to negotiate anything. If you’re not fit for duty, you can’t fly.
There isn’t a single pilot that would disagree with that statement.

FWIBT, it was a few pilots abusing a policy that a resulted in dozens of pilots getting caught up in. (Several pilots calling off every holiday and weekends claiming covid)
Long story short, it did immeasurable harm to any good will the pilot group had towards management.

good will the pilot group had towards management.

1645198609304.gif

It’s got to be more than 16/month they’re losing.

I’ve got a friend that conducts interviews and there’s at least double that number in his office in an average week and that’s just at one major.

-sick calls are becoming a thing...require a Dr.'s note if on a holiday or weekend, someone asked if our sick calls were commensurate with other airlines and they dodged the question. (this alone is a super awesome moral booster)
At this point it’s sort of in one ear out the other with me. If this was going to be official policy then why make this statement on a conference call where maybe at best 40 percent of the pilot group was listening.

I’ve got a friend that conducts interviews and there’s at least double that number in his office in an average week and that’s just at one major.

I think that’s net loss including the new hires. The real question: how many have “The right stuff?”

Question for some of you who have done this merger stuff before. Is it likely that with the F9-NK merger they put a “fence” in place for a few years that prevents F9 pilots from bidding a NK base or vice versa? Had someone bring it up to me and I have never thought about that before.

Question for some of you who have done this merger stuff before. Is it likely that with the F9-NK merger they put a “fence” in place for a few years that prevents F9 pilots from bidding a NK base or vice versa? Had someone bring it up to me and I have never thought about that before.

Fences are (generally) a knee-jerk protectionist act that don't end well. Ask the legacy CAL 777 pilots based in LAX about what happened when they puu5 fences around their 777s and United 787s. Or maybe it was the other way round... but either way, the category went from mid level to super senior as it shrunk from world wide flying to some transcontinental and 1 London flight a day, while the 787s picked up everything else, plus some more.

Remember, unless there is a bump and flush bid, there will have to be openings in a base for a pilot to get in, so nobody will get forced out.

Doubtful with such a similar fleet/age group.

Fences are (generally) a knee-jerk protectionist act that don't end well. Ask the legacy CAL 777 pilots based in LAX about what happened when they puu5 fences around their 777s and United 787s. Or maybe it was the other way round... but either way, the category went from mid level to super senior as it shrunk from world wide flying to some transcontinental and 1 London flight a day, while the 787s picked up everything else, plus some more.
Interesting, never considered that.

Remember, unless there is a bump and flush bid, there will have to be openings in a base for a pilot to get in, so nobody will get forced out.

both airlines are displacing hundreds of pilots basically right now….. no time like the present, eh?

Can you ask your friend, this crazy rumor I heard: Delta wants 2,400 pilots next two years and only has 6,000 qualified apps on file?!

Back