Frontier/Spirit Merge

Wonder where the dispatch group will end up?
I'm just waiting on the plot twist...Surprise HQ is moving to Fargo, ND

All jokes aside, realistically probably Orlando. Curious if they'll keep the name Frontier, Spirit (which has more brand recognition), or some other name. If they keep Frontier with the animals on the tail, I think they should be considered the aircraft's "Spirit" animal!

It sounds like Frontier is going to be the surviving name, so I'd bet on the HQ and dispatch office both ending up in DEN...either that or a split DEN/MCO dispatch office with the HQ in DEN. Hope they keep the Spirit big front seats after they merge!

Why Orlando?
I'd imagine its cheaper to run the airline from Florida than Colorado. Also I believe I saw somewhere that there are now more departures out of Orlando than Denver on F9. Post merger the airline will have massive presence in MCO. Only reason I see to keep it in Denver is the Airline's identity. The current Frontier HQ will not support the post merger airline. So if they stay a new HQ will be needed.

Well if they keep two dispatch office, in theory no one would have to move and if they opted to (meaning someone volunteered to move), company may not have to pay for that move.

If they choose one city of another, expect to loose about 10% of the dispatch group that will be required to move. I base that on prior experience with 2 different airlines moving.

The Spirit Orlando facility is newly remodeled, and fairly hurricane proof (it was AirTran's dispatch office before they merged with WN.)
Unless we are somehow talking about a different place, the new building in Orlando where part of MX currently works would not be able to fit the entire OCC of Spirit much less both airlines. Granted I was only inside it once but it looks like it would be incredibly crammed in terms of workspace.

Unless we are somehow talking about a different place, the new building in Orlando where part of MX currently works would not be able to fit the entire OCC of Spirit much less both airlines. Granted I was only inside it once but it looks like it would be incredibly crammed in terms of workspace.

If you look at the big four, the mergers usually resulted in either a brand new ops center or a renovated one. I would imagine similar for this F9/NK merger.

L-AA had just finished an SOC refurbishment/renovation project when the L-US merger was announced. L-US was also in a relatively new OCC building in PIT. When both combined, a new building was built. SWA built its current NOC right around the time they merged with AirTran. UAL moved into new NOC at Willis after the CAL merger.

Things to look out for over the next few years if merger passes regulatory hurdles: Mergers typically result in some kind of attrition from people not wanting/able to move. Growth in dispatch headcount is possible depending on how workload/systems are integrated. JCBAs from mergers have so far normally resulted in significant gains in compensation for dispatch groups. The big JCBA question right now is does the joint group go with PAFCA or TWU?

If you look at the big four, the mergers usually resulted in either a brand new ops center or a renovated one. I would imagine similar for this F9/NK merger.

L-AA had just finished an SOC refurbishment/renovation project when the L-US merger was announced. L-US was also in a relatively new OCC building in PIT. When both combined, a new building was built. SWA built its current NOC right around the time they merged with AirTran. UAL moved into new NOC at Willis after the CAL merger.

Things to look out for over the next few years if merger passes regulatory hurdles: Mergers typically result in some kind of attrition from people not wanting/able to move. Growth in dispatch headcount is possible depending on how workload/systems are integrated. JCBAs from mergers have so far normally resulted in significant gains in compensation for dispatch groups. The big JCBA question right now is does the joint group go with PAFCA or TWU?
Stating facts and asking the real questions Flagship. Spirit has the better contract than Frontier. Hopefully they can take the best of both. Spirit is 4-4 and PAFCA and better pay. F9 TWU 4-2 4-4. Both groups up for new contracts. These 2 airlines are attempting to become the 5th largest US airline I’d imagine there’s going to be a few cities bidding for their economic opportunity. Mostly pointless to speculate right now. But it’s fun, I guess. At the end of the day the employees don’t matter the shareholders do. Crystal ball says full rebrand and something that doesn’t make everyone happy.

Having been through a merger myself (and more than one office relocation) I'll just say I wish the best to everyone at Frontier and Spirit, but I'm really glad to not be working at either one of them right now.

One thing to keep in mind is, anyone not covered by a CBA and seniority list is probably wondering if they will still have a job in the next 2 years. You cannot combine two separate airlines and not end up with role redundancies everywhere, and layoffs WILL happen. The big wigs claim "everyone will have an opportunity for a seat at the table" at the new combined carrier but the sad reality will likely be very different once words are replaced by actions. The seasoned veterans among us will remember a time when you could just be stapled to the bottom of the seniority list (a la TWA) if you happened to be part of the unlucky carrier. Keep your heads up and Best of luck to all...

Back