Special Authorization for MEL

It was a CRJ700. The original write up in the logbook was for a R REV red CASS message which means the system thinks the reverser is OPEN. The reverser was in fact closed. The MX solution was to pin the reverser CLOSED (which is already was) and then MEL it under an MEL for a reverser being locked closed and not usable. However, nowhere in the MEL did it state that you are allowed to have an R REV message up (once it's been pinned shut) which was still displaying. That was where this mysterious service letter came into play... I guess.

Any time you have additional systems rendered inoperative by a gmm, or manufacturer provided procedure, they must be fully described, deactivated and deferred under your current procedures. If the new inactive items are not covered by your specific Mel, dmi, cdi, or nef processes, then the airplane is not airworthy.

There simply is no way around this. The only thing a "letter" from bombardier is to be used for, is a special ferry permit. Short of that new procedures must be approved, and contained in you mel. Missing the take off config. Warning would require a supplement, with procedures listed, not a letter from bombardier.

You wouldn't have even gotten me to unpack my flight kit if I had this issue.

Any time you have additional systems rendered inoperative by a gmm, or manufacturer provided procedure, they must be fully described, deactivated and deferred under your current procedures. If the new inactive items are not covered by your specific Mel, dmi, cdi, or nef processes, then the airplane is not airworthy..
Indeed. Doesn't an MEL item have to be specific to the inoperative/malfunctioning equipment?

It was a CRJ700. The original write up in the logbook was for a R REV red CASS message which means the system thinks the reverser is OPEN. The reverser was in fact closed. The MX solution was to pin the reverser CLOSED (which is already was) and then MEL it under an MEL for a reverser being locked closed and not usable. However, nowhere in the MEL did it state that you are allowed to have an R REV message up (once it's been pinned shut) which was still displaying. That was where this mysterious service letter came into play... I guess.
No go. Unless the manufacturer would like to come with me to the FSDO.

That is BLEEPING BS...I would have fought it harder.....Next time he knows...just call in sick than refuse the plane..

Back