Special Authorization for MEL

Well you would use YOUR MEL book. The manufacturer MMEL master MEL list a company can deviate from the manufacturer but it has to be MORE restrictive then the master MEL not less. Also in virtually all T/R MEL's it has you physically lock out the reverser so it cannot deploy and in some cases the reverser handle on the thrust lever is wired down as well.

Fantastic to hear.

I stand by everything I said; there's a fax machine somewhere at the airport, most likely in ops.

I'd want to see a deferral written exactly as the COMPANY MEL states and/or a letter from the FAA saying that its ok before I'd feel comfortable about it.

How did your buddy end up doing in the meeting

Thanks for reminding me to give him a call. The company still thinks that he was being insubordinate for refusing the airplane and is still investigating. He'll probably end up with a letter in his file. Worst case they'll try to suspend him and the Union will fight it.

Thanks for reminding me to give him a call. The company still thinks that he was being insubordinate for refusing the airplane and is still investigating. He'll probably end up with a letter in his file. Worst case they'll try to suspend him and the Union will fight it.

That's really really crappy. Hope it gets worked out. I'd imagine there's some legal recourse for being disciplined after refusing to fly an unairworthy aircraft.

I'm guessing what will happen (passed on this sort of thing happening in the past) is that the FAA will eventually get involved and point out to the company that what they did was illegal and then go after the pilots that actually flew the thing while fining the company some large amount of money.

That's pretty absurd, but sort of expected I guess. Were I a captain receiving that plane, there's absolutely no way I would have taken it without a copy of the letter. An old letter from the manufacturer doesn't mean squat; 6 years ago the 200 could drop the flaps at 230.

I had a lot of similar murky situations like this where documentation was dubious...and I found that a decent number of captains would swallow dispatch/MX's "oh, we're authorized for that" pretty quickly. I had one toss the can at me and say, "fine, YOU call maintenance and take the delay". It was BS like this as much as the lifestyle that made me want to get out.

I barely involve dispatch....They're just a paperwork factory at this point. I'm calling MX Control to sort the mess out.

, "fine, YOU call maintenance and take the delay". It was BS like this as much as the lifestyle that made me want to get out.

Just curious as what happens when one "Takes the delay?" If I "took the delay" as many times as I'm delayed, I'd be dead.

Just curious as what happens when one "Takes the delay?" If I "took the delay" as many times as I'm delayed, I'd be dead.

Honestly, nothing. It was his way of telling me to shut up or he'd be talking to the chief pilot about me...which wouldn't lead anywhere, either. Skywest didn't have a record of trying to silence FO's who speak up...it just pissed me off that a captain was trying to resolve the situation with that kind of tactic.

I'm calling MX Control to sort the mess out.

I wouldn't trust them either.

Honestly, nothing. It was his way of telling me to shut up or he'd be talking to the chief pilot about me...which wouldn't lead anywhere, either. Skywest didn't have a record of trying to silence FO's who speak up...it just pissed me off that a captain was trying to resolve the situation with that kind of tactic.

I wouldn't trust them either.

"Hello, scheduling? Yeah, just wanted to advise you that I'm off this trip, the captain is a trying to do something illegal and I'm not interested, so you might want to find another first officer."

Simple: If I have the required authorization from the local authority in writing I fly the airplane, if not we're not going anywhere. It's unlikely dispatch and maintenance will get violated and they're not in the airplane with me if something happens.

That being said there are MEL's that mention a missing TAKEOFF CONFIG message.

I searched through the MEL book and couldn't find any reference to a missing T/O Config. The only thing I did find is that CONFIG (AILERON, AP, FLAPS,
RUDDER, SPLRS, STAB) being broken are all No Go items.

I searched through the MEL book and couldn't find any reference to a missing T/O Config. The only thing I did find is that CONFIG (AILERON, AP, FLAPS,
RUDDER, SPLRS, STAB) being broken are all No Go items.

I don't have access to one anymore, but there are a couple MEL's that reference a missing T/O Config advisory. There are operations procedures listed in them that require you to essentially test the takeoff config warning system--pulling the spoilers, flaps 45, brake on, etc...to make sure you get an aural and master warning even though you don't have the required advisory.

I don't remember exactly what it's for (nothing that would affect the takeoff-worthiness of the airplane), but it's a pain because it has to be done before every flight.

Yep, in the 200 but I have a feeling it may soon appear in BBD's 700 MEL book.

That's fine. But until it does, it's not legal. Paperwork oversight is NOT in the job description of a line pilot.

And how are you even typing? Didn't you just ride a bike for 24 hours straight?

That's fine. But until it does, it's not legal. Paperwork oversight is NOT in the job description of a line pilot.

And how are you even typing? Didn't you just ride a bike for 24 hours straight?

I agree 100%, that airplane isn't going anywhere unless I have the correct MEL or something in writing from our feds.

I didn't ride much this year, I put in about 5 hours of riding time and about 8 hours of eating and socializing time.

What (if known) were the mx procedures that MX had to perform for this MEL? Maybe what they did (putting the lockout kit on and maybe a CB pulled) would cause the EICAS displays you have said. Just a thought? and what type plane are we talking about here? I must have missed it. I use to work on CRJ-900's so maybe I can dig up my old companies policies from a buddy of mine currently working there to get a MX side point of view on this.

Sucks to hear your friend had to do the horse and pony show with the CP.

Nick

Back