Speaker for Network JC '09?

mavsfan31

I don't quite know the process of lining up events for NJC but figured I would throw this out there.

CN94559 and I have an instructor, Rich Graham, who would probably be up for this. He's a retired SR-71 and F-4 pilot. He also flew with American for 13 years, now working as an instructor and volunteering with the CAP. He does speaking engagements all the time (he's spoke at Oshkosh, wrote three books) so he wouldn't be dull to say the least.

If you guys want any more info on him, it can be found at www.habu.org.

He really is a great guy.

I've done almost all my training with him and as an instructor and as person it just doesnt get any better.

I've done both of my xc's with him and I couldnt wait to take them in hopes of hearing a story. Both times I wasn't let down.

He's been invited to speak at Oshkosh for the past 13 years if im not mistaken and when he gives his lectures he starts off by asking who's heard him speak before once... twice... three times etc. He told me once he had a guy attending Rich's 10 lecture.

If you guys want him im pretty sure we can convince him to come!

I don't quite know the process of lining up events for NJC but figured I would throw this out there.

CN94559 and I have an instructor, Rich Graham, who would probably be up for this. He's a retired SR-71 and F-4 pilot. He also flew with American for 13 years, now working as an instructor and volunteering with the CAP. He does speaking engagements all the time (he's spoke at Oshkosh, wrote three books) so he wouldn't be dull to say the least.

If you guys want any more info on him, it can be found at www.habu.org.

I just read a bio of this guy - it would be amazing to hear him. Not only an SR-71 pilot, but over 200 missions in F-4's in Nam - 60 or more as a Wild Weasel pilot. Would love to hear this guy speak. And, found out from his address that he only lives a couple blocks from my parents house.

that means they must live in Plano :)

Yeah - a neighborhood called Whiffletree. When I go to the Tom Thumb by their house, I go a back way home and it cuts through some neighborhood with a street called Hearst Castle. I remember the name because I have never seen a street named that before. Anyway, that neighborhood turns into Whiffletree.

It would be great if he could come speak.

can you find out what he charges? I don't see it listed on the page(s)....

also, what do you think that he'd talk about with our group that the JC folks would learn/take back?

I thought NJC09 was kickin' it old school, and returning to the non-formated, casual meet & greet atmosphere circa NJC03?

If so, why the need for a speaker? Am I wrong, or is 09 still going to be a more scheduled event type set up as the past few years has been?

:confused:

I thought NJC09 was kickin' it old school, and returning to the non-formated, casual meet & greet atmosphere circa NJC03?

If so, why the need for a speaker? Am I wrong, or is 09 still going to be a more scheduled event type set up as the past few years has been?

:yeahthat:

The guy is a combat vet, an SR71 pilot (not many of those) and an AA Captain prior to retirement. You can still "kick it old school", but I would imagine the guy has some pretty interesting stories to tell. Probably has seen and done some things that will probably not be done again given the advances in satelites (such as fly Mach 3 above 80,000 ft.). Would probably be worth a little time to hear the guy speak.

ya'll are getting ahead of yourselves...i'm pretty sure we are kickin' it ol' school this year BUT that doesn't mean we can't look further into possible speakers for years AFTER This year right?!

plus, if the guy has no speaker fee, then it might be doable....however, since we don't have the fundage we need this year, then a speaker would be more appropriate for later years.

he might just be willing to come talk for free, I have no idea. right now he's in Mexico with his wife but once he gets back (sunday 2/8) I'll ask him what he charges.

We had a professor at Purdue that used to fly the U2 and SR71, among other rides. He was one of the early pilots in both programs, actually Gary Powers took his place in the U2 Squadron.

He'd speak once every couple of years. I was fortunate enough to attend one of the lectures.

Cool as hell.

If we can get this gentleman to speak at '09, it would be a special, special thing. The thing about a speaker like this gentleman is he is a true aviation fanatic. He flew the coolest airplane ever built, the plane was built with sliderules and flown with balls. It is a universal appeal to aviation buffs.

We all know how he got onto AA, he's a very special person who's done very special things. What piques my interest, beyond the SR71, is how he comes back and is instructing/mentoring fledgling pilots.

$5 of my $.02

can you find out what he charges? I don't see it listed on the page(s)....

also, what do you think that he'd talk about with our group that the JC folks would learn/take back?
My bad, I didn't give you the direct link to his page. It doesn't say it on there, but certainly gives more of an in-depth view as to what he did.

I didn't know NJC was going to be more laid-back this year. I'm just throwing this out there because I know he loves to share his experiences. If not NJC, we can certainly invite him to a M&G over the summer or something.

hate to say it, but Id rather listen to Mr Graham than "kick it old school"...

I am really gonna try and make NJC this year!

:yeahthat:

I'd much prefer that. Let's just view this as a get together in Vegas and a chance to tear it up.

hate to say it, but Id rather listen to Mr Graham than "kick it old school"... I am really gonna try and make NJC this year!

The speaker is a strong reason for me to attend. I don't have much time to just "kick-it" so making it a bit more professional (rather than a big drunken fest :D:sarcasm:) is a plus for opening the space on my clanedar. I always enjoy learing from others through their experiences. I realize money is tighter than ever, but the speaker is a real plus for NJC.

I don't have much time to just "kick-it" so making it a bit more professional (rather than a big drunken fest :D:sarcasm:) is a plus for opening the space on my clanedar.

If it goes too formal again this year, my vacation is cancelled . . .

I think the only valid reason not to have him come would be cost. If he is somehow willing to do it for free, or for a very nomimal cost, then he would be a great addition. I also fail to understand how, assuming he was free or affordable, having him speak for an hor or two then mingle would seriously detract from somebody's ability to "kick it old school". Assuming that he would want to speak in the daytime, he wouldn't be interfering with prime drinking/gambling/getting laid activities. I don't understand how "kickin it old school" and hearing an SR71 pilot speak is mutually exclusive.

Back