Southwest tries to redecorate LGA tower

If it's my leg, when I talk about PM duties, I always ask....."hey if you have any energy management tips or techniques in general, I'm all ears". Especially when we are going to somewhere new (for me). Every big airport has its nuances, and some of that corporate knowledge is part of the "energy management" topic. No plan works in a vacuum......ATC/outside factors have a vote too. And it's still a license to learn, always.

I actually enjoy the times when they throw you a turd ball with no notice. Other than gusty crosswind to contaminated short runway, it's about the only challenge we have in this corner of aviation.

Meh, I am a huge fan of it. I prefer to get 1 and 5 (and 10 if needed) out over gear any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I much prefer to throw speed brakes out and get flaps out before simply dropping gear. It is perfectly acceptable per the AFM to do so and why we have culturally changed the way we fly to baby a commercial airliner that was designed to have flaps deployed at the speeds displayed, is beyond me. It is beating a dead horse but I am 100% convinced it is why the 737 had an exponentially higher ratio of unstable approaches compared to the Airbus, and they are still high as hell.

You can descend like a MFer in a fully loaded 9ER with F5 at UP bug, especially with the boards out. No gear needed. At least at or below turboprop altitude :)

Nobody in the training department teaches these techniques. Nor do they teach F10. And I hesitate to even mention this "technique" because I think it is actually bad technique only useful when you really F'd it away, but a quick dump from F30 to F40 and back can fix a heinous high/fast. Don't ask me how I know :)

You can descend like a MFer in a fully loaded 9ER with F5 at UP bug, especially with the boards out. No gear needed. At least at or below turboprop altitude :)

Nobody in the training department teaches these techniques. Nor do they teach F10. And I hesitate to even mention this "technique" because I think it is actually bad technique only useful when you really F'd it away, but a quick dump from F30 to F40 and back can fix a heinous high/fast. Don't ask me how I know :)

1000000%

Things like that show we are actually flying the airplane and understand it. No gear needed ever honestly. F5 and up bug or 190ish knots and F10 is like a superpower in the 737. You are positioned to configure and land like a rockstar almost immediately, from almost any position.

I’d say about as high as 70% of Airbus pilots of any flavor will get themselves screwed up in this scenario because when the plane “goes off script” it can be a bear in terms of energy management. Especially when you’re turned in and you’re trying to capture the GS from above, slowing and try to time it out around the market.

“I got it I got it I got it, it’s just about to…”

“Welp, there it is, ALT HLD, whatcha gonna do, sparky?” :)
Spin the Alt knob up, let it revert to (present) VS, and truck on down to grab the GS….

BOSS MODE UNLOCKED. 😜

1000000%

Things like that show we are actually flying the airplane and understand it. No gear needed ever honestly. F5 and up bug or 190ish knots and F10 is like a superpower in the 737. You are positioned to configure and land like a rockstar almost immediately, from almost any position.

Well the FH does say flaps are not to be used as speed brakes.

But I agree that flaps 5 at 210 knots. Or flaps 10 below 200 knots will be fairly decent to getting the job done.

1000000%

I look at the 10-7 note for JFK, about remembering the gear retract speed if you use them to get down on the high arrival to quick base turn. I'm kind of confused at this method.....I'm not afraid to swing the gear, I mean I expect them to work, and throughout my career they mostly have, but dropping gear and then raising and then dropping it again seems like weird flying to me. F5 or F10 and placard minus a few has never left me anywhere I didn't want to be on the overwater JFK downwind.

Can you guys at DAL use flaps 2 on your NGs?
Works good, last long time…Flaps 2 and speed brake is what I use for JFK or ATL, and the 11,000ft to 3,000ft drop.

We never, ever use “up bug, or bug up”…and certainly never “gear down”, “ok, now gear up again”. We had someone at QX (who’s now y’all’s problem at AS) that would do that…or did it once and got told not to. That was on the 175.

Call me old school, but the “energy management” is, ah, overdone.

Remember, old airframes were pretty draggy. “If you can see it, you can land on it” doesn’t really apply anymore.

You’re going to burn more on the go around if you mess up the 1st arrival, so, yea, toss out what you need to make the jet do what you want it to do.

Having 18 wheels to hang in the wind is a fun cheat code to use.

Works good, last long time…Flaps 2 and speed brake is what I use for JFK or ATL, and the 11,000ft to 3,000ft drop.

We never, ever use “up bug, or bug up”…and certainly never “gear down”, “ok, now gear up again”. We had someone at QX (who’s now y’all’s problem at AS) that would do that…or did it once and got told not to. That was on the 175.

He'll probably never be my "problem" but that is f'ing lazy aviating IMO. We don't Bug Up either, outside the sims, where we do it HEAVILY. But I guess in some weird Narnia where there has been EMP and I am left without VNAV because I can't enter the EFAH, I'd know what to do. Hey hey

Also, how did we stumble upon a thread about actually flying airplanes and make it 7 pages? Doesn't someone want to talk about Donald trump yet? :)

He'll probably never be my "problem" but that is f'ing lazy aviating IMO. We don't Bug Up either, outside the sims, where we do it HEAVILY. But I guess in some weird Narnia where there has been EMP and I am left without VNAV because I can't enter the EFAH, I'd know what to do. Hey hey

Also, how did we stumble upon a thread about actually flying airplanes and make it 7 pages? Doesn't someone want to talk about Donald trump yet? :)

This thread, has been the best thread, better than all the other threads, the best thread ever read. Full of wonderful pilots, talking wonderful airplanes, the best airplanes. I asked them “how do you fly airplanes so wonderfully?” They really are the best pilots, better than any other pilots I know. And I know pilots, many, many pilots.

We have pictures of it, big beautiful pictures showing all the people, millions and millions of people, great people.

Okay bed time, I just made myself dizzy

haha I put that comment at a 10% chance of making sense to anyone, I go to sleep too now.......something about being bought off a 3 day trip after day 1, and being in my bed 2 nights early

Back