Southwest tries to redecorate LGA tower

At Northernjets, the mantra was “train like you fly, fly like you train”. The words never, ever uttered were “you’ll get that on OE” or “well, the technique is…”.

If you were an IP that told a student either, you’d get into deep kimchi. Get caught a 2nd time and you were out.

A couple of other quirks…no dedicated flight standards group. No IPs were full time. You were a line pilot first, so you did 2 months on the line and 2 in the sim. All IPs were “full service”. All were checked out to do OE, and most were IPs in the sim, and most were checkairmen. The result was a very, very tight feedback loop between the line and the training department.

You had to hold what you taught.

Yes! And you lived! 😂 Well done sir!
Downwind in SEA, completely full boat on an Max including 2 JS, approach gives us 190. Well, that’s below flaps 1 maneuver speed but flaps 2 works good for it. Oh and @Inverted I had the boards out too. It’s really a miracle we made it

At Northernjets, the mantra was “train like you fly, fly like you train”. The words never, ever uttered were “you’ll get that on OE” or “well, the technique is…”.

If you were an IP that told a student either, you’d get into deep kimchi. Get caught a 2nd time and you were out.

A couple of other quirks…no dedicated flight standards group. No IPs were full time. You were a line pilot first, so you did 2 months on the line and 2 in the sim. All IPs were “full service”. All were checked out to do OE, and most were IPs in the sim, and most were checkairmen. The result was a very, very tight feedback loop between the line and the training department.

You had to hold what you taught.
I was born too late

Same in the 320 or 737:

The magic number is 2000AGL be at second notch of flaps and 180kts. You’ll be golden each time. Airbus flaps 2, 180 and 737 flaps 5 and 180.
(As long as you are on the appropriate approach path).

Coming into LAS 1L , I can’t count the number of times FOs will see 1700 on RA because of the hill and be like “gear???” Nope, we got time. Vegas 2200ft elevation. Mentally, I can be flaps 5 and 180kts til about 4,200 ft. Now gear down, flaps 15, then on schedule flaps 25, 30. By 1000ft (3,200) fully stable.

You can always tell the guys who aren’t doing the full mental math. “Hey, you’re high.” Because they looked at the green banana bar leveling after the fox, but the VSD shows us hitting the fix on time. The banana bar just hasn’t caught up. Plus, we got 2,000 ft to lose and we’re 8.5 miles , we should be okay.
Soooooo what you’re saying is flaps 2🤪?

IMO, it’s bad form because a better option is there. It nearly says increased wear and tear on the TE flaps. Gear down in the 737 doesn’t wear and tear the plane at 248 kts. So…. Why not?

CRJ, A320 best as I recall max flap 1 was 230 kts. Flew your whole career with no flaps before 230. Now in the 737 all of a sudden, you can’t fly without throwing flaps out at 1?

A better option out there… but why is it a better option? Why is slower better? You mentioned the CRJ and the A320… Why is 230 the magic good pilot speed? Why is the object to get as slow as possible before extending your first flap selection?

The only rational possibility is your suggestion that higher speeds cause excess wear and tear on the flaps. If that’s true, why isn’t it in the book? Why isn’t it a limitation?

Oh no no…it was his thing.

Our LCP’s said that would be “don’t pass go, don’t collect $200” if witnessed
Crap, my bad. I thought they said it wasn’t any big deal there. Who was that? I remember the auto brakes thing but I can’t remember who posted about it.

For landing, at least for me, you’re either flying the plane, or the AP/AT is. Unless something requires you to keep the AT on while handflying, I’ll generally have them all off. Because if you’re handflying and having the AT engaged, it’s going to drop out of your crosscheck.

The needles being left on while on a visual:
They’re better to be off, so as not to garbage up the FD with erroneous needles. However….on a visual, what would you be doing looking at the FD horizon anyway? All you’d be cross checking is speed and you can feel the descent rate or see a visual glidepath. But at end of the day, a visual is a contact maneuver….your horizon is outside, not inside. Your crosscheck inside is merely things such as speed.

Eh, they taught us in stages - first with everything on, then with AT but no AP, and then everything - including FDs - off. I've certainly flown with everything off - had to for OE. Unfortunately, I have had very little opportunity to put things into practice - don't fly much on reserve so when I do I really try to maximize the learning opportunity for the given conditions, and lately there hasn't been a lot of margin for error so I've been limited in what I could experiment/practice with. That visual into MSY this past weekend, for example, was the first visual I've been assigned in a couple months.

At <100 hours on the airplane, while I'm confident in my basic skills, I am also smart enough to know that I don't know everything, and I'm not about to play push-the-personal-envelope under suboptimal conditions. I'm not in a rush - the chances will come, and I'm looking forward to looking back to this point to see what I've learned over the next few hundred hours. This is the fun part. :) Someday I'll be as good as you. :)

Eh, they taught us in stages - first with everything on, then with AT but no AP, and then everything - including FDs - off. I've certainly flown with everything off - had to for OE. Unfortunately, I have had very little opportunity to put things into practice - don't fly much on reserve so when I do I really try to maximize the learning opportunity for the given conditions, and lately there hasn't been a lot of margin for error so I've been limited in what I could experiment/practice with. That visual into MSY this past weekend, for example, was the first visual I've been assigned in a couple months.

At <100 hours on the airplane, while I'm confident in my basic skills, I am also smart enough to know that I don't know everything, and I'm not about to play push-the-personal-envelope under suboptimal conditions. I'm not in a rush - the chances will come, and I'm looking forward to looking back to this point to see what I've learned over the next few hundred hours. This is the fun part. :) Someday I'll be as good as you. :)
I’m enjoying our sort-of-parallel learning experiences

Back