Someone please explain this...

BrewMaster

Every time I am commuting or waiting on any flight with first class, or a first class lane, the first class "business men" are always lined up about 20 minutes before boarding starts. Every time they are just standing there in the first class lane. What is it? Is it to show off? Is it to represent the embroidery on their shirts that they are go-getters? I'm just curious.....

Every time I am commuting or waiting on any flight with first class, or a first class lane, the first class "business men" are always lined up about 20 minutes before boarding starts. Every time they are just standing there in the first class lane. What is it? Is it to show off? Is it to represent the embroidery on their shirts that they are go-getters? I'm just curious.....

I have never seen this behavior, except when flying SWA, and it was before they went to the numbered boarding pass system.

Typically, first class knows they board first and whenever they want so it's really not an issue for most of them as far as I can tell. I know that when I fly first class, I never ever line up early. What's the point?

Weird, I see it almost every time. Maybe 20 minutes was overkill, but they do line up in the first class lane. Usually starts with one guy standing right over the podium.

Weird, I see it almost every time. Maybe 20 minutes was overkill, but they do line up in the first class lane. Usually starts with one guy standing right over the podium.

I've seen it also, and like you, I don't really get it.

The only time I'm trying to get on the plane early is when I'm flying it, or when I need to grab space for my bags on a DH.

They want to get on the plane first to get that drink order in!

Generally I would prefer to be sitting in a seat. If I wait to be the last to board, the gate agent will have 150 pax lined up in the jet bridge, and by the time all of them schlep their stuff on, there is possibly no room in first for my bag, and I definitely won't get a drink.

If boarding were actually staggered such that the jet bridge wasn't jam packed full, I'd be near the last one on.

If I'm first class, then I don't really care if I'm at the begining or end of the first class line as there's usually bag space (and I check all but my laptop bag), unless we have the herd of kids we own with us, then I try and get in the front of the line to get them out of everyone's way quickly.

If I'm in the back of the bus, then I will try and pop to the begining of the Exec Plat boarding time to get a space for my bag before the unwashed masses start filling the jet bridge.

If I'm on an AA 757 in exit row 9B or C and we are boarding mid cabin, I get on last as I can't sit down anyway or else I block the door. FA's are usually good about finding space for my laptop bag in the coat closet.

I also see it at most airports i frequent. I also see the economy passengers lined up before the business class.
I sit there until the last given second, especially if I'm not flying SW.

I was alway curious about the logic behind loading an airplane from front to back, wouldn't it be more easier and more efficient to load it back to font.

Maybe a boarding call was made in the lounge for their flight. If so, don't expect them to sit down when you just told them they'd be boarding.

At least this was the case at my company. Call the lounge too early and you get a line up. Call too late and they might not get thru TSA early and complain the jetway is backed up with steerage. Lose-lose.

Probably the same reason EVERYONE in the aircraft stands up as soon as the plane blocks in.. And that reason is "FOR NO REASON AT ALL!"... Whats the point of standing up when everyone offloads from the front to back..

Probably the same reason EVERYONE in the aircraft stands up as soon as the plane blocks in.. And that reason is "FOR NO REASON AT ALL!"... Whats the point of standing up when everyone offloads from the front to back..

Yeah, and they get pissed that I'm still reading my book blocking their way to nowhere when I'm sitting in 48C...

I was alway curious about the logic behind loading an airplane from front to back, wouldn't it be more easier and more efficient to load it back to font.

I believe its easier/faster to load back to front for a couple reasons:

1-its easier for passengers with carry ons to walk down an empty isle. Imagine your carrying a duffle bag over your shoulder and a laptop in your hand. its a lot easier to walk down an empty isle, than you wont have to worry about hitting passengers in the head (the ones already sitting down)

2. If the person sitting in row 5 is having a hard time putting their bag in the overhead, it basically stops all passenger traffic from moving down the isle.. If the person in row 40 is having a hard time, they can still load rows 1-39 without any problems.

3. If overhead space is full, its a lot easier and faster to take bags from the front of the plane, versus having a passenger drag his bag all the way to the back of the plane only to find out theres no space and now has to drag it all back to the way to the front of the plane so it can be gate checked.

**** opps.. Sorry my bad, i read your post backwards... :(

Doubt you'll see Back to Front loading on carriers soon.

The guys paying the $$$ to sit up front don't want to wait for the coach folks to board first.

Now maybe if we go back to the old prop days with coach in front and first in back (boarding through the rear) maybe.... Flew on a Antonov in Ukraine that was set up like that.

I get up. Mainly because if I have been sitting for 3+ hours I want to stretch.

No idea on first class, except that I think a lot of your business travelers rush the desk to see about upgrades when the gate agents first arrive.

As for everyone else mobbing in, I used to wonder why too and then one day I was sitting on the plane and someone in front of me was queried by another passenger "what seat are you in?"..."blah, here's my ticket"..."I'm have the same seat assigned!".... dude next to me says "and THAT is why you get on the airplane as fast as possible, I've seen it happen before and first one sitting down wins".

Now, I dont know if that really happens very often, I would think the booking computers are smart enough that it doesn't, but it did that time, and according to the guy next to me it happens enough that that's why he rushes on.

Personally, I'd rather get on, get overhead space, and sit down rather than stand in the cattle herd in the isle while everyone panics and get's pissy trying to find space, pushing up and down the isle desperate for that last space for their precious carry on, while everyone else is staring at them wanting them to get out of the way.

It drives me nuts when I see it too. I think it's just a side effect of people losing control of their destiny once they step up to the TSA que. Basically once people walk into an airport they are completely out of control of if and when they will be getting to their destination and a lot of people will do whatever little bit they can to try to maintain whatever control they can, including rush down the boarding door. Other than where they eat in the terminal and where they hang out in the terminal passengers are mostly at the mercy of the airlines and TSA once they get to the airport.

Back