Someone please explain this...

I was alway curious about the logic behind loading an airplane from front to back, wouldn't it be more easier and more efficient to load it back to font.

There's actually a guy who did research on this, and he found the fastest loading was to stagger the rows, like last 10 rows, only odd numbers, then the evens. Then the next 10 rows, only odds. Something like that. I don't remember the exact pattern, but what you're doing is giving people the elbow space of the extra row to move stuff around before they sit down.

Found an article on it: http://phys.org/news122215582.html

Not quite what I remembered, but the basic idea is correct.

I am guilty of this every time I fly...Why? Because gate agents don't enforce the policy of letting the FC/Business class tickets board first and I am no longer taking the risk of gate checking my bag. Sorry if I drive you nuts.

It drives me nuts when I see it too. I think it's just a side effect of people losing control of their destiny once they step up to the TSA que.
I don't think that's completely true, as I've seen this behavior in the pre-TSA days. I do, though, think that TSA and their shenanigans contributes to the grumpy though. Of course, we can't discount the idea that society as a whole, not just at the airport, is getting more and more inconsiderate.

Every time I am commuting or waiting on any flight with first class, or a first class lane, the first class "business men" are always lined up about 20 minutes before boarding starts. Every time they are just standing there in the first class lane. What is it? Is it to show off? Is it to represent the embroidery on their shirts that they are go-getters? I'm just curious.....
I've seen this a few times. Doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't follow by example in this case.:)

I don't think that's completely true, as I've seen this behavior in the pre-TSA days. I do, though, think that TSA and their shenanigans contributes to the grumpy though. Of course, we can't discount the idea that society as a whole, not just at the airport, is getting more and more inconsiderate.

I don't mean to imply TSA has anything to do with it. I'm just saying the moment they step up to that que is when the chaos begins. The whole experience of air travel takes a person hostage and leaves them without control... starting the second they walk into the secure area.

I am guilty of this every time I fly...Why? Because gate agents don't enforce the policy of letting the FC/Business class tickets board first and I am no longer taking the risk of gate checking my bag. Sorry if I drive you nuts.
But seeing as flight attendants snap at any Y passenger who tries to put a bag in a C/F class bin, that shouldn't be an issue.

On bigger planes, I get it. You want your stuff to be in the bin, not under your seat or in the pit. If you're on a 777 where business is 2-4-2, those overheads are going to go fast among your premium pax. What I don't get is you're on a CRJ-700, your bag is going to get gate checked. Period. First on, last on, its not going to fit, bro. Yet, every flight I ever boarded as a gate agent you'd have 6-10 frequent flyers, in either coach or first, all lined up in the Red Carpet Lane 20 minutes before boarding. Its retarded. "4 hour flight in a regional jet? Bet you I can make it 5 hours if I board early enough!". Bet you can, but, why? Because they're businessmen. Nothing they do makes sense. Do they have a dress code for revenue pax in first? Last I checked, I can sit in first class in an LMFAO shirt and converse sneakers, and that's as an employee. Yet they're standing there, 25 minutes to boarding, wearing 3 layers of expensive clothing in a 75 degree terminal waiting for a flight to Phoenix where its a scorching 105 degrees anxiously waiting to nestle into the cramped and uncomfortable seat which will entomb them for the next 2 hours. Must just be a measuring contest within the strictly secret fraternity of businessmen.

I do love businessmen, I really do. When I was customer service and they'd be yelling at me, I would seriously pretend they were saying "RABBLE RABBLE BUSINESS RAH RAH BUSINESS RABBLE RABBLE" and try really hard not to laugh. Sometimes I point at them in airport terminals walking to my gate in street clothes and go "Whats the business, man?". They always are very taken back. So to any business men who are reading this, thank you. For all you do.

Sorry, hot topic for me. I'm in the process of writing and filming a sketch about businessmen in airports.

IWhen I was customer service and they'd be yelling at me, I would seriously pretend they were saying "RABBLE RABBLE BUSINESS RAH RAH BUSINESS RABBLE RABBLE" and try really hard not to laugh.
Cool story, you sound professional.

I've been there, done that. I bet anyone working CS has had moments of awkward laughter with a customer when their mind goes numb from the BS. And when you hit that point its time to execute your exit strategy

I usually want to get on the airplane and get settled, and do not want to worry about having room to stow my bags. I hate checking bags if I can avoid it. Gives an excuse to stretch for a few minutes before boarding and ensures I can get my stuff stowed where I want it (nearby my seat) would sum up my motivations, don't know for others.

I know exactly what you are talking about. By the time I board just about all the first class overheads are empty. I don't get it.

Cool story, you sound professional.
Sometimes in life, you get what you put in. People think "the airlines" are one big entity that everyone hates and they can act how they want and they are entitled to help and compensation for anything that wasn't outlined in their itinerary. In reality, airlines employees are just people who work for a cooperation, and that cooperation happens to be an airline who's business is moving people in airplanes from point A to point B. So when you're screaming in my face, you're not screaming in United's face, you're screaming in Chasen's face. And while I have too much integrity to yell back, I could save that last seat on the next flight for the lady standing patiently behind you looking in disbelief as you get red as a tomato pounding my counter cursing my name and end up number 106 on standby. But its cool, dude is screaming in my face and I'm unprofessional for laughing at him in my head and drowning out his irate potty mouth after I've already laid out his options. Those damned airline employees.

Just sayin'.

They want to get on the plane first to get that drink order in!

They want that free drink that they (of their office) paid hundreds extra for. The guy at the podium is begging for a mileage upgrade due to his preferred status. You would be surprised at the hissy fits some of these tools throw when they don't get what they want. I've seen them bitch about RJ's not having a first class sections, the kid in coach is too loud, you don't have the beer/liquor they want.and what take cake is I saw an FA berated for handing a guy and over coat and not putting it on him. I stepped in on that on that told the guy to start walking.

They want that free drink that they (of their office) paid hundreds extra for. The guy at the podium is begging for a mileage upgrade due to his preferred status. You would be surprised at the hissy fits some of these tools throw when they don't get what they want. I've seen them bitch about RJ's not having a first class sections, the kid in coach is too loud, you don't have the beer/liquor they want.and what take cake is I saw an FA berated for handing a guy and over coat and not putting it on him. I stepped in on that on that told the guy to start walking.
Flying 100k a year for many years now, I also see my share of idiot gate agents, rude FAs and others.

Normally I don't bother arguing with them as its not going to get me anywhere. Easier to just call the number on the back of my card and relate the story to the exec platinum folks. I'm sure they doodle while I tell my story, but I get the voucher or miles in the end.....

Most of you guys must not fly commercially very often. I'm often Group 1 because of SuperDoubleSecretPlutonium status on a couple airlines, and I'm all about getting onboard early. More bag space. Sorry. :)

Most of you guys must not fly commercially very often. I'm often Group 1 because of SuperDoubleSecretPlutonium status on a couple airlines, and I'm all about getting onboard early. More bag space. Sorry. :)
Sir, would you like to board the Brasilia first? ;)

(I mean, for my two cents worth, premium status on the Bro would board last — but that's just me.)

If you're a cubical dweller, Assistant Deputy Director of Staple Counting, forever jealous of people who have actual skill and/or talent, instead of a BA in "Business Arts" from South Central Minnesota Tech (located in Butthole, Minnesota), you have to try to spray your alpha-dog-ness anyway you can. You're whole life revolves the little morsels that life doles out, and you get kind of protective, like a stray dog protecting it's bone. It makes people cranky.

Richman

I know exactly what you are talking about. By the time I board just about all the first class overheads are empty. I don't get it.

That's probably because the word carry-on has changed from a gym bag (that I carry) to a damn roller suitcase! It annoys the hell outta me when I can't find any room for my small bag. Meanwhile Mr. iSheep Apple extraordinaire is pouting to the FA that the Gogo WiFi is down. I love to people watch its amazing how some never grow up.

Sent from my Android mobile device.

Back